Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'09 S1 Configuration Question
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for some help here. I'm about to buy my first "real" roadie. Which incidentally will be used mainly for tri's. I'm currently on a "frankensteined" Specialized Sirrus that has served me well through 4 tri's, but isn't really as sporty as I'd like. And, has been my first and only experience with a road specific bike.

All the advice, test rides, reading, measurements, etc... point to the '09 S1 as the clear and ovbious choice. But this is where it gets hairy for me, I've basically got 2 options:

1) I buy the S1 complete with the Ult SL kit for $2200
2) I buy the S1 Frame, '09 Sram Rival Group, Fulcrum Racing 5 Wheels, Profile Tri Saddle, and comprable(or same) bars, stem etc... for around $2500 complete.

Are any opinions out there about Ult SL vs. '09 Sram Rival, R500 vs. Racing 5, etc...

And most importantly, opinions on buying what should be a well thought out well coordinated frame/component set Vs. a bespoke configuration, which I see as best of breed (given price) with my fairly limited perspective.

For the purposes of the conversation lets assume the $300 gap isn't a concern, and that while i've now test ridden every bike in the price range under the sun, I'm buying a Cervelo.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: '09 S1 Configuration Question [gmccormi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, I don't see much difference between the two bikes besides price. The main differences are 1) component group, and 2) wheelset. The component group isn't an upgrade, in my opinion, from Ultegra to Sram Rival. The Fulcrum Racing 5 wheels are about 100 grams lighter than the Shimano R500 wheels. The saddle may or may not be an upgrade, depending on your bum (mine and it don't get along). You can find a used Profile saddle for under $50, so it isn't worth the price difference.

I'd save your money for a wheel cover and an aero helmet.

Also, if you can find a new '08 Soloist Team, you'll save another $200. Some shops still have some.
Quote Reply