Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'09 Boise HIM Start Time (2pm??)
Quote | Reply
Just saw this on IM.com and thought it interesting:

The date for the 2009 Ironman 70.3 Boise will be Saturday, June 13. Unique to other Ironman 70.3 races, the event will include a 2:00 p.m. MDT afternoon start in place of the traditional early-morning start time used in 2008.

"We are excited to offer this new start time to our athletes, as we feel it will further enhance the overall event experience," said Steve Meckfessel, Ironman 70.3 Events Director. "The city of Boise has so much to offer participants and spectators. A later start time and evening finish will create a unique finish line experience in the dynamic BoDo District."The mild June temperatures, low average humidity, cold-water swim and shaded run course make Boise an ideal venue for a later start time. Ironman will not be the first event organizer to institute a later start time in the city of Boise. The Wells Fargo Twilight Criterium, held annually in July, is a popular cycling race that begins late afternoon and has a nighttime finish. With more than 20,000 spectators, the Criterium is widely supported by Boise residents and out-of-state visitors.

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply
Re: '09 Boise HIM Start Time (2pm??) [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is my kind of start time. I wish I could find more races like that. I am not a morning person at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also interesting that they've moved the race to only one week before IM-CDA...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh snap, that's perfect for a night-owl like me. I've always said that I would whup up if I could get more than 45 minutes of sleep before a race (I'm a terribly sleeper, I literally got 45 minutes before IMLP last year).

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its about time...

This means race day there's plenty of time to for packet pick-up, bike drop off & course setup. This will also make for a much better experience for spectators.

On Sunday I'm racing the Lake Stevens 70.3 with a 6:30 start time. I have a decent group of people coming out to watch but if a 2pm start the group would be much larger. More spectators equals more participants the following year as well as more exposure for the event sponsors.

Not to mention I'm not a morning person ;-)

Travis
www.dumbfocus.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is great news. The course is really challenging and fun. We got lucky this year with mild temps, it can be MUCH hotter in June. I like the idea of an evening finish. I was already planning a return in 2009, now I think for sure I'll be there.

Dave

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this is truly a most innovative change to directing a triathlons. Hopefully, other 70.3 directors will follow suit. It just works out well from so many aspects, especially dealing with local communities and churches, who sometimes frown on the early morning impact of triathlons.
Quote Reply
Re: '09 Boise HIM Start Time (2pm??) [trimontana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In bike racing we have tons of late starts. I don't think I ever started a race before maybe 9 am and mosty are mid day.

In CT the Lake Waramaug tri starts on a friday night, its awesome because its late, everyone hangs out afterwards and you can still get your long training in on the weekend.

Oh, and obviously, you dont have to get up at butt-crack-early.

I think the issue for most races is not desire to put them on later but access to roads. Its generally better in most places to send 1000 people on bikes though roads early in the AM on sundays, rather than other times of the day. But if they can do it, I say go for it, I love that, but then again I don't have kids, I wonder if the early start times allows them to race early and be back before too much fo the day is gone, at least for shorter races.

http://www.johnhirsch.org
http://www.stronglikebulltraining.com
Quote Reply