Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'08 Transition Pro & The Roval Fusee Star Wheels
Quote | Reply
"Okay! So I'm a lurker..."

There, that's the first step to recovery.

I'm planning on upgrading from my '00 vintage Tequilo to the '08 Specialized Transition Pro. but I can't stand the idea of actually owning a set of those Roval Fusee Star wheels! I thought about parting out the Comp or building up the Pro frame set, but it seems like more trouble than what it's worth.

Has anyone ridden these wheels yet? Does anyone find any value in owning these wheels? Would you ever consider buying them, or do they seem like just another gimmick?

Discuss…
Quote Reply
Re: '08 Transition Pro & The Roval Fusee Star Wheels [shohen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The somewhat interesting fact of the matter is that Rovals are among the very, very first of the integrated "wheel systems" going back to the early '80's. They were quite good then and well ahead of their time. If you extrapolate that level of innovation and quality forward to the newer versions they may be a relatively impressive wheel.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: '08 Transition Pro & The Roval Fusee Star Wheels [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The somewhat interesting fact of the matter is that Rovals are among the very, very first of the integrated "wheel systems" going back to the early '80's. They were quite good then and well ahead of their time. If you extrapolate that level of innovation and quality forward to the newer versions they may be a relatively impressive wheel. "

Uhhhmmm... yeah.

Except that the current Roval shares nothing with that Roval but a name. The Specialized corporation bought the marque after the original Roval went belly-up, and is using it to market their house-brand wheels.

Well, point to Special-ed I guess; they fooled someone...

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to feel the same way until I got to check out a set up close. They actually have some very forward thinking technology. Like all aero wheels they have shorter spokes but instead of taking the length out at the rim they do it near the hub. This has the same end effect of having far less spoke 'sticking out' into the wind but keeps the rotational weight near the center of the wheel instead of at the perimeter. When you look at the wheels head on they look like a tire with a very slight tiny amount of spoke showing near the hub. Impressive, kinda like a tri-spoke in that way. If I had a set I'd ride them no question.
Quote Reply
Re: '08 Transition Pro & The Roval Fusee Star Wheels [RL_SD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you please put a short line in your signature that mentions that you're sponsored by Specialized? Thanks.

Kendall Frederick

Orange Park, FL
Quote Reply
Re: '08 Transition Pro & The Roval Fusee Star Wheels [RL_SD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tour magazine (gawd how I wish they'd print in English) tested them along with many others and they performed horribly. Poor lateral stiffness, terrible aerodynamics.

If I'm not mistaken, a 32 spoke wheel was just as good, if not better.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: '08 Transition Pro & The Roval Fusee Star Wheels [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The somewhat interesting fact of the matter is that Rovals are among the very, very first of the integrated "wheel systems" going back to the early '80's.[/quote]
except for other very interesting fact: there is zero connection between the original rovals and the current "rovals", except for the name. SBI simply bought the name, and that's all.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the only thing fuglier than that bike is those wheels!

on a practical note.......... they're, well, not practicle.......horribly non-aero.
Quote Reply