Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'08 B12 Cranks Coming Loose (w/ Pics)
Quote | Reply
I was out for a ride last week and my cranks came loose, sliding left/right which also caused my chain to drop to the small ring and I couldn't shift. I took the bike to my LBS where I bought it and they "fixed" it. I picked it up last Sunday, went for a couple of short rides this week, and then on a 50 mile ride yesterday. On the way back home yesterday, the exact same thing happened again. The crank set separates and the left crank also gets about an inch of left/right play in it. Any ideas about why this has happened twice in one week? The shop certainly didn't have any when I asked them.

Quote Reply
Re: '08 B12 Cranks Coming Loose (w/ Pics) [scb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you really should be titling your thread as FSA cranks coming loose, rather than blaming the Felt for this problem. This was fairly common with the early FSA MegaEXO cranks but i think they solved it with the later versions. You might want to call FSA and see what they say. Their customer service helpline is supposed to be quite prompt.
Quote Reply
Re: '08 B12 Cranks Coming Loose (w/ Pics) [footwerx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who blamed Felt? The cranks on my Felt are loose. More a statement of fact than assertion of blame. Those are the stock cranks.
Quote Reply
Re: '08 B12 Cranks Coming Loose (w/ Pics) [footwerx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your left crank is missing the anchor cap. You shouldn't be able to see through the crank like that. Pretty easy fix with the cap! Your bike shop should have another one kicking around. Or at least they can order one for you.
Quote Reply
Re: '08 B12 Cranks Coming Loose (w/ Pics) [pen15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks pen. It was there when I started the ride, but lost is somewhere along the route. It didn't fall off last week when I had the same issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twice in one week is pretty odd. There should be an end cap that threads in to the non-drive side that holds the crank arm on. Then the two bolts on that crank arm are torqued to about 12-15Nm to help keep everything tight and in line. The original problem was that the torque on the bolts wasn't high enough to keep that end cap from spinning loose, falling off and allowing the crank to separate from the spindle, which is what happened to you here. I would take it back to the shop again to make sure they re-installed everything properly with the end cap in place. I also agree that this isn't a Felt problem, but an FSA problem. They are quite good to work with.

Ladera Cyclery...Gone but not forgotten..
F.I.S.T. Certified, UBI Trained Mechanic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would make sure the shop replaces the bearing preload bolt and loctites and then torques the retaining bolts down to spec. I would also have then check to make sure there arent some stripped threads in there which may have caused it to loosen the second time.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
once this happens once and, due to circumstances, you gotta keep riding, in my opinion that side of the crank is pretty much done. you can get it to work again for a while (maybe even a long while), but the alloy "teeth" on the inside of the crank are likely permanently damaged. they'll never be as secure as they should be again.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply