Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
'07 Felt B2 frame issue .. anyone else??? (Superdave, any thoughts?)
Quote | Reply
So I get back into transition yesterday after the bike in Eagleman and as I'm strolling along I notice my seat seems lose. But I racked the bike and took my sweet time getting ready for the run and then took off. (Ended up DNF'ing because it was just not worth slogging through another long run when I knew I would end up walking a lot of it with the cramps I was already having before even the first mile was done. I've already slogged through 3 marathons, my first HIM and my IM so no need to put myself into longer weeks of recovery when the medal is not that big of a deal).

After hanging out and watching some of the finishers I go back to the transition and get my stuff together to go home. Walking out of the transition I notice again the seatpost seems to be rocking a hair back and forth. I figured I'd get to the car and see if the two bolts are loos and look at it there.

Once at the car I pull out my tri-allen and the bolts are snug ....... hmmm ....... So I pull up the post ....... and the whole thing comes out, but still clamped!! It appears that the clamp part of the frame has broken/sheared right at the carbon!!!!! WTF?????

To give some insight, it looks like the seat tube which is carbon of course has an aluminum insert that is like bonded or built into the frame. Then the seat clamp bolts into that to hold the post. It is only a small 1" or less section that pops up to allow the bolts to go through for the post clamp. From my eyes it looks as if this insert thing cannot just be replaced and that means my frame is hosed????? I sure hope not. :-(

I bought it last March, so it is only just over a year old and has about 1,500 miles or so on it. I was a mechanic for 5 years, so I know how to properly set up frames so I am fairly sure it was not user error. I just wanted to know if others have had any experience with their B2/DA before I take it to the Felt dealer to have them look at it.

It's really disheartening to know the bike is down for the count right now as it has been really good to me and I've put up some great splits with it and love riding it. If by some chance they deem it as not a warranty issue I'm totally f-cking screwed ...... :'(

Re: '07 Felt B2 frame issue .. anyone else??? (Superdave, any thoughts?) [Daremo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I've got the year correct, then the seatpost clamp is removeable and replaceable. Call you local dealer and they should be able to get the proper parts pretty easily.

I don't think the aluminum clamp is bonded, it may just be stuck (bonded with sweat and gatoraide). Try gently removing it from the frame.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: '07 Felt B2 frame issue .. anyone else??? (Superdave, any thoughts?) [Daremo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So I get back into transition yesterday after the bike in Eagleman and as I'm strolling along I notice my seat seems lose. But I racked the bike and took my sweet time getting ready for the run and then took off. (Ended up DNF'ing because it was just not worth slogging through another long run when I knew I would end up walking a lot of it with the cramps I was already having before even the first mile was done. I've already slogged through 3 marathons, my first HIM and my IM so no need to put myself into longer weeks of recovery when the medal is not that big of a deal).

After hanging out and watching some of the finishers I go back to the transition and get my stuff together to go home. Walking out of the transition I notice again the seatpost seems to be rocking a hair back and forth. I figured I'd get to the car and see if the two bolts are loos and look at it there.

Once at the car I pull out my tri-allen and the bolts are snug ....... hmmm ....... So I pull up the post ....... and the whole thing comes out, but still clamped!! It appears that the clamp part of the frame has broken/sheared right at the carbon!!!!! WTF?????

To give some insight, it looks like the seat tube which is carbon of course has an aluminum insert that is like bonded or built into the frame. Then the seat clamp bolts into that to hold the post. It is only a small 1" or less section that pops up to allow the bolts to go through for the post clamp. From my eyes it looks as if this insert thing cannot just be replaced and that means my frame is hosed????? I sure hope not. :-(

I bought it last March, so it is only just over a year old and has about 1,500 miles or so on it. I was a mechanic for 5 years, so I know how to properly set up frames so I am fairly sure it was not user error. I just wanted to know if others have had any experience with their B2/DA before I take it to the Felt dealer to have them look at it.

It's really disheartening to know the bike is down for the count right now as it has been really good to me and I've put up some great splits with it and love riding it. If by some chance they deem it as not a warranty issue I'm totally f-cking screwed ...... :'(

Daremo,

Can you send me the details of your original purchase via email.

Also, can you confirm the torque on those seat clamp bolts didn't exceed 5Nm per the owners supplement?

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
E-mail sent.

Quote | Reply
This sounds a bit different than my B12 seat clamp issue. I actually hope it's not. Reading your post makes it sound a bit more severe. I'm like you though. Love my bike.. it's just that it's not good to see these seat clamp / post issues popping up.
Quote Reply
Re: '07 Felt B2 frame issue .. anyone else??? (Superdave, any thoughts?) [atl_runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The carbon portion itself appears to be fine, it is just the sleeve/insert that cracked. Hopefully it is something that can just be pulled and replaced, but my initial look did not seem that way and I'm not about to take pliers or something and yank on it!! The last thing I want to do is damage it!! I love the bike too much to do that .......

Last edited by: Daremo: Jun 9, 08 7:58
Quote Reply
Re: '07 Felt B2 frame issue .. anyone else??? (Superdave, any thoughts?) [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Also, can you confirm the torque on those seat clamp bolts didn't exceed 5Nm per the owners supplement?

-SD

This statement is exactly the reason why I take my car to the dealer for servicing under the warranty. Since he stated that he did the build himself, are you going to take his word for it? Even if he had bought the bike direct from you with proof the bolts were correctly torqued, would you believe that he hadn't adjusted his seatpost without a torque wrench since then? No proof, no warranty?

What would you accept as "confirmation"? "Umm.. Yeah, sure I did"? A Youtube video of the build? A signed affidavit from everyone who came in contact with the bike?

Just wondering...

Brad

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really seems unusual but the exact same thing happened to me yesterday at Rockman. I came back to get my bike sfter the race and the seat post came right out of the frame. My clamp is also cracked off...huh.

Patrick

"I've sold my soul to Ironman."
Quote Reply
Re: '07 Felt B2 frame issue .. anyone else??? (Superdave, any thoughts?) [hillier99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And who is to say that a shop didn't over tighten somehting?

I'm not being critical at all and I did say that I did not use a Tq. Wr. No reason not to be totally honest. If it was something that I actually caused, then that is life. But I have enough faith in the industry (having had to be on that other side where I had to explain to a customer why a rep. said they couldn't warranty a bike) that I'll take my chances. I'm not too concerned that Felt is going to take me for a ride, I trust the company more than that.

If there was a cause/effect here then I'll figure it out. I personally don't think it is, but who am I to say that??? Perhaps there have been some issues that they have encountered by people overtorquing them, which is why he asked. I cannot fault him for that.

Quote | Reply
Email between me and felt me=blue them =red

I am currently in the market for a triathlon bike and am considering buying
either an 08 DA from my local bike shop or purchasing a used 07 DA private
party.

I am curious if there is any truth to rumors on defects on a few batches of
2007 DAs I have seen an alarming amount of 07 DAs on sale recently at very
low prices considering their original cost.
I have heard various athletes in the community say there was an official
problem on the bikes that Felt never formally acknowledged and most this
individuals selling their 2007s simply are cutting their losses because they
can't engage in a class action law suit.
My second question is if I buy the bike private party does the warranty get
voided?

Hi xxxxxxxxx,

Thank you for your interest in Felt Bicycles. Regarding suggestions that
there is an "official problem," we came to the conclusion that the stem on
the '07 DA would benefit from a redesign. We are aware that some riders were
experiencing some twist in the stem when on the cowhorns. We acknowledged
the problem and have made a change to reflect that. We are unaware of any
other consistent problem.

We monitor forums in which bikes are sold used and haven't seen a
significant number of DAs on the market. Our customers are generally very
satisfied.

Oh, and yes, if you purchase a used bike, that does void the warranty.
Practically, that means if you have a problem, you have to pay for the fix,
rather than getting it for free. We do all we can to keep riders on Felts on
Felts.

With Best Regards,
Patrick
Felt Bicycles
www.feltbicycles.com

Thank you for the prompt reply. Is the change you mentioned on the 08 models? Or are you retrofitting unhappy 07 owner's bikes?

Hi xxxxxxxxxx,
This is a running production change and the new parts aren't compatible with
the old ones. While we are doing all we can to service our existing
customers, older bikes will not be retrofitted with the new stem. The best
option for someone like you is to go with the new bike and the security you
get from knowing your bike has a full warranty.

With Best Regards,
Patrick
Felt Bicycles
www.feltbicycles.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://feltda-problems.com/

also two local bike shops owners have complained that felt isnt properly acknowledging the broken stem defect by not sending them enough replacement parts

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
And who is to say that a shop didn't over tighten somehting?

I'm not being critical at all and I did say that I did not use a Tq. Wr. No reason not to be totally honest. If it was something that I actually caused, then that is life. But I have enough faith in the industry (having had to be on that other side where I had to explain to a customer why a rep. said they couldn't warranty a bike) that I'll take my chances. I'm not too concerned that Felt is going to take me for a ride, I trust the company more than that.

If there was a cause/effect here then I'll figure it out. I personally don't think it is, but who am I to say that??? Perhaps there have been some issues that they have encountered by people overtorquing them, which is why he asked. I cannot fault him for that.
I think all of us who have had this problem have been completely willing to accept responsibility for the clamp breaking.. up to a certain point. It's now fairly evident that this is crossing into the realm of design flaw. Don't be so quick to blame yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: '07 Felt B2 frame issue .. anyone else??? (Superdave, any thoughts?) [atl_runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine is not about the stem, it is about the seat clamp. I have a non-bayonet B2 and not a DA, so do not have the stem to be an issue to begin with.

Quote | Reply
Its hard to say. I have a 2007 B2, second owner and have never had a problem. No torque wrench either. I'm careful with the seatpost, but i look at it like a race car. Its going to take some care and I'd wouldn't be be shocked if it breaks at some point, but the clamp is a small, cheap, easily replaced part, so no real damage done.

Ceratinly a much better situation than other brands I was looking at where the seat clamp is part of the frame and seems to break just as easily.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regardless of who's fault it is, what are we to do with this being mid season? We'll have to send it in to Felt and wait 10-12 weeks to get it repaired? My season will be almost over by then. What am I to do, buy another bike in the meantime?

Patrick

Quote Reply
Re: '07 Felt B2 frame issue .. anyone else??? (Superdave, any thoughts?) [portech74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel you there .... but I had also already determined that I was riding my road bike at LP and my next tri isn't until September. This just made the slight possibility of riding the Felt at LP a non-issue.

Always a silver lining?? ;-)

Re: '07 Felt B2 frame issue .. anyone else??? (Superdave, any thoughts?) [portech74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I missing something about the seat clamp. Why would you need to send the frame to felt to replace a part that will fit in an envelope and can be replaced in 2 minutes?

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: '07 Felt B2 frame issue .. anyone else??? (Superdave, any thoughts?) [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the seatpost clamp portion that goes inside the frame does slide out, then yes it would be an easy fix. But I'm still not sure that it does. Otherwise what would keep it from falling out in other situations.

I need to take a pic and then get it to the local dealer to have them look at it .......

Quote | Reply
Can you post those pics?

-------------------------
Trek Madone 5.9SL
Felt B12 (sold)
Quote Reply
Re: '07 Felt B2 frame issue .. anyone else??? (Superdave, any thoughts?) [SCOTTinNJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The strange thing about the seat post clamp is that it hasn't been adjusted since about 600 miles ago.

Im going to the LBS tonight. I'll have pics and more info soon. I just hope Felt will help out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have any updates? I am near pulling the trigger for a new DA and reading all this info makes me second guess...

Jorge Martinez
Head Coach - Sports Science
E3 Training Solutions, LLC
@CoachJorgeM
Quote Reply
Re: '07 Felt B2 frame issue .. anyone else??? (Superdave, any thoughts?) [cogsci] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kind of a bummer to see this for us 2007 DA owners. Seems like Felt should offer a fix. Especially if they want to "keep riders on Felts on Felts." I was considering a Felt for my next road bike, but now I may hold off. I love my DA, and want to support and believe in Felt as a company, but I don't like to see things like this--these things are A LOT of money for me.

Semper Fi
Quote Reply
Re: '07 Felt B2 frame issue .. anyone else??? (Superdave, any thoughts?) [Jorge M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Do you have any updates? I am near pulling the trigger for a new DA and reading all this info makes me second guess...

I'm not going to have a chance to get it to the shop for a few days because of life getting in the way. We'll have to wait and see. I also didn't take any pics yet but I did look closer at it this morning. I'm not sure if the metal "sleeve" in the frame that holds the seatpost in place is removable (other than by the factory somehow). It really does appear to be part of the frame construction.

I'd still say go for it Jorge. If there were any issues in the '07 release I would bet that they have figured them out and made things even better for the '08. You know how much I love Blackbird so I'd say go for it!!

Quote | Reply
Does it look like this?

http://www.flickr.com/...0081@N05/2568083069/

Quote Reply
Re: '07 Felt B2 frame issue .. anyone else??? (Superdave, any thoughts?) [volpe30] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No updates so far

Another Devil Dog on ST?
Quote Reply

Prev Next