Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'06 TTX vs '07 Equinox 9.9
Quote | Reply
A buddy is looking for a new tri bike (his first tri bike, actually), and these are his two finalists. Since I don't know much about the Trek lineup - especially their more expensive bikes - I'm turning to ST for some guidance. The '07 is ~$500 more. But, aside from color, what are the real differences? IYO, is it worth the extra cash?

Here are links to the product pages...

2006 Trek TTX
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2006/archive/ttx

2007 Trek Equinox TTX 9.9
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2007/archive/equinoxttx99

Thanks.

Steve

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: '06 TTX vs '07 Equinox 9.9 [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first reaction to your question was "no, it's not worth the extra cash". The frame designs and geometries are similar and the Equinox weighs about 1.5 pounds more. I've ridden the Equinox and I found the ride very smooth.

However, there is something to be said for buying what you want the first time around. Unless your friend doesn't lust after the latest and greatest tri gear, he will want the TTX after a few years anyway.

Final verdict: Buy right the first time. He'll only live once and he'll save money in the long run.

Get the TTX!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wait for 2008 model - it's going to be lighter
/// or wait for 2009 - sure they will come up with something new to get your $ : )))

Hare Krishna
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe the frame/fork integration is a little different and most notably the round seatpost to "aero" seatpost. I don't know if the geometries are the same or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Compleately different bike.
Go with the 2007 or even newer one. 2006 which was a limited production had a TT geometry. You can still flip the seatpost and adjust it but another thing is the frame material. They have changed the material, the difference is more than just $500
if you call trek directly they will give you more detailed info between those two but 2006 model is pretty much of a dead meat and most shops try to get rid of it. Don't get me wrong it is a great bike I had the early version but it is NOT even comparable to the new one.

It hurts so bad, it feels good.
Quote Reply
Re: '06 TTX vs '07 Equinox 9.9 [black] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you sure about the material? In the links provided, both are listed as "OCLV 110 Carbon". And, he can get the 9.9 for an extra $500. That is the price difference.

BTW, does anyone know for sure that the geometries are the same/different?

Steve

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Last edited by: The_Mickstar: Sep 6, 07 12:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DO NOT get the 06 TTX. It was built to Lance Armstrong geometry and it has a shallow (74 degrees) seat tube angle. The 07 models and newer have a better 76 degrees top tube angle, making it a better choice for triathletes. So, it's worth the extra money.
Quote Reply
Re: '06 TTX vs '07 Equinox 9.9 [eddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah the power of the internet, concrete claims with absolutely no margin for error.

To the best of my knowledge the Equinox line and TTX have a 76º STA. The notable exceptions are the Equinox 11 and Team TT bike. These came in the ~74º range. As previously stated the '06 TTX should have a nominal STA of 76º with a "range" of ~ 73-79º.

The above poster is most likely confusing the E11 with the black TTX.

---------------------------------------------
Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding it hurts.
Quote Reply