Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'06 Saber...my new rig...PICs
Quote | Reply
Hey ST-ers:

Here's my new rig. Just before Christmas on my way back to St. Louis, Herbert gave me a tour of their facility in TN. Seeing firsthand how the Saber, Tiphoon, and Blade are built was amazing. If you ever get a chance to go it's a awesome...I highly recommend it! The tour was VERY interesting and it was nice to talk with the folks as they're actually working on the frames...fine craftsmanship...and attention to detail. Call me weird but it made me feel good buying a bike that's made locally with such precision. Thanks again Herbert I had contemplated upgrading from my 2004 QR Caliente to a Blade, Tiphoon, or Saber for awhile and I chose the latter. Thanks to all who gave me their experiences with these bikes. The '06 Saber is incredibly comfortable...smooth at high speeds...and fast as s#!t! I would highly recommend the 2006 Saber to anyone. This is the most comfortable and versitile bike I've owned. Thanks Herbert, Lee, and Ben (I think?) at ABG...as well as Mike, Cid Jr., and Jimmy at InsideOut...you guys are AWESOME!

Okay guys...let the insults begin...I know you want to...

How about my decal-less Spinergys or my non-Zipp carbon bottle cages? But I should get some "points" for my internal cable routed Oval extension with custom-drilled end plugs, canine snapshot on the stem, and other stupid little things :). I tried to lighten it up even more by replacing the bottom extension clamps on my CarbonX bar with just normal washers and nuts (covered in liquid rubber to avoid rusting). I know you guys would love to see a pair of Zipp 808s on here but until I get a real job my Spinergys will have to do. Plus...I got them for $700 for the pair (brand new...Performance Bike price matching). Upon recommendation by STers I went to Bikenames.com and customized my ride a little. They don't stick as well to Ti (even after cleaning with acetone) so I topped the letters with X-pel film/material (that stuff is awesome!).

My training wheels are the Mavic Kyserium Elites that came on my Caliente.

Until next time...

David
Last edited by: UNC_Tri_Guy: Feb 16, 07 8:45
Quote Reply
Re: '06 Saber...my new rig...PICs [UNC_Tri_Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love that bike. I can think of very little I would change if it were mine. Very nice. Enjoy the hell out of that thing...any chance I'll see it at PM NC?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice bike, David. I like the added touch of your Tar Heel stickers! Maybe I'll see you out on a ride around town and we'll see how your ti bike compares with my lowly aluminum!

Adam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How'd you do the dog decal? I've been wanting to do that for my bike for a long time now.

Thanks, (Hopefully we'll be playing you guys in DC next weekend)-Well we won't be there, but good luck to the Heels

Pat
Last edited by: Tri-illini: Mar 18, 06 16:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's with the front QR lever being on the right (wrong) side of the bike? My wife would put her wheels on that way when she first started riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The more I look at this bike, the more sure I am that this is the bike I'm going to order this summer. I had the 03 version. Nice bike. I ride 53, and that year 53 came in 650. When it got wrecked when I was hit by a truck, I replaced it with a 700 Talon SL. Now I'm looking at Ti, and a steep bike again...yes...I believe this is the one...
Quote Reply
Re: '06 Saber...my new rig...PICs [MaxVeeOhToo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't speak for UNC_Tri_Guy, but I have my QR on the right side of the fork as well. For me it comes out of habit from my years of mountain biking with discs brakes. Disc brake on the left, QR on right. You;d be surprised how hot a QR can get froma couple of heavy downhill sessions.

Now it just comes naturally to have the QR on the right. Right or wrong, that how I do it.

Is there any particular reason why it should be on the left side?

BTW, UNC_Tri_Guy, nice looking ride! I am riding the '05 version of the Saber and love it.

~Tucker

Shop at: TriSports.com

"Stick to the facts man, they are good enough, no need to go making stuff up." - STP
Last edited by: mtuck: Mar 18, 06 23:43
Quote Reply
Re: '06 Saber...my new rig...PICs [MaxVeeOhToo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey MaxVeeOhToo -

Oh...I don't know...I tried putting both QRs on the same [left] side and as I was riding I would drift drastically to the left...It must be the extra wind drag from BOTH QR skewers being on the SAME side. ;-)

Really...you can't be serious...of all things, why does this matter?

Oh...wait...after seeing your doobies posting, it's all starting to make sense :)
Last edited by: UNC_Tri_Guy: Mar 19, 06 19:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
David,
I am glad you finally got your bike. Looks great, very nice setup.

Herbert

Litespeed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spot on build! Hell of a ride. You should be very proud.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rad setup dude!!! rock on!

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply