Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'06 QR Kilo upgrade question
Quote | Reply
For the bike gurus out there...

Did QR have a special seat post made for their bikes in '06? or will a standard aero seat post fit? I went to QR's website and they have a carbon (what I want) seat post from Real Design listed for sale through their store.

The second question... Does a carbon seatpost make a difference in ride comfort, or is it more of a weight savings issue?

I am looking to upgrade some of the components on this bike, versus shelling out a good $4000.00 on a carbon bike with all of the goodies.
Quote Reply
Re: '06 QR Kilo upgrade question [1dayironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure you need their seatpost to fit. I have an old Kilo and I switched to an Easton carbon seat post and find it much more comfortable than the old aluminum one. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: '06 QR Kilo upgrade question [Indigodog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Indigodog. That's also what I thought about the seatpost having to come from QR, but I was hoping for a better answer where I could utilize free enterprise instead of the old tried and true monopoly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would challenge anybody in a blind test to be able to tell the difference between a carbon and aluminum seatpost. I certainly cannot tell and I have a carbon post that is at least 330mm, so if any post has some flex in it, that would be it.
What is the purpose of the "upgrade"?
If you like carbon or to upgrade to make it look cool, then please disregard all that follows...

In terms of performance there may not be a more insignificant item than the seatpost. It suspends your seat in the air. The difference in weight might show on a scale, but won't on the clock unless you are time trialing Alpe D'Huez, in which case, a Kilo might not be the best bike anyway.
On an '06 Kilo the only thing you can probably upgrade to actually make you faster is the aerobars for something with less frontal profile. A new drivetrain (chain/cassette) will help some as well, if you have put a ton of miles on the bike. And that is assuming you already have race wheels.

Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The upgrade here is a weight issue not so much a feel one. The weight difference between stock and the carbon one is massive.

H
Quote Reply
Re: '06 QR Kilo upgrade question [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was actually hoping a carbon seatpost would make for a better ride, and of course, a plus would be the loss of weight. But if the ride difference is negligible, it's definitely not worth the money. As far as the other upgrades, speed is not really an issue. I will never come in first unless it's a one man race. Comfort was my main concern with the upgrades, to make the bike as carbon frame-like without shelling out the big bucks, unless of course, there was no other option.
Quote Reply