Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'05 Fuji Aloha vs. Cannondale R-1000+Visiontech shorty clipons
Quote | Reply
Let's say: You're interested in tri's, particularly Olympic and HIM distances. Aiming to complete an IM eventually. You have a nice Cannondale R-1000 road bike w/ the Visiontech shorty TT clipons so you're more aero. You like this bike a lot and like to road race and train, so you're not going to give it up.

You're thinking of potentially getting a dedicated tri bike for those long races, but have concluded for the moment that spending a few $K for a bike you'll only use a few times isn't within your budget.

Then...you see a Fuji Aloha '05 for <$900 and get very interested. So...chime in. Would it make a noticeable difference for a HIM and IM race? I figure it's more "aero" and all that, but the components and frame are not in the same league as the C'dale. What do you do? Or are you better off taking the $900 and spending some of it on race wheels or something?

And a related question...if you think the Fuji isn't enough of an upgrade to make a difference over the C'dale for a HIM/IM...what bikes would make a difference? A Dual? A Tequilo? A S22/25?
Quote Reply
Re: '05 Fuji Aloha vs. Cannondale R-1000+Visiontech shorty clipons [nycowl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have owned and ridden many bikes (GTs, Kestrels, Cervelos, Hotta, Lotus, Basso, Cannondale, Zipp, Litespeed, Softride, Vitus, Colnago, Nishiki, Merlin, Landshark, Aegis and even more that I am forgetting).

I have been through the mil with owning bikes and spent all my money on bikes since 1990 when I started racing. I raced pro and have done many many triathlons in many many distances and here is what I did... for 2006 (this relates to your question).

I sold everything except for the Lotus and I bought two fuji Aloha (2005) bikes on the deal you mentioned. I then did something I never did before... I GOT FISTED...

Here is what I suggest to you: If you like your Cannondale then keep it. If you don't already own aero wheels I would invest in those BUT before I did anything I would go get FISTED on my cannondale.

There is nothing (and I mean nothing) like a professional fitting on a bike for comfort and power output. After this you can decide if the demensions of the Fuji would serve you better. In othe words... did you have to use a crazy seatpost or a bunch of spacers or a track stem on the cannondale in order to get it right for triathlon?

I don't think the Fuji frame will account for much over the triathlon race in time gains because of the aero tubes.

Ok, hope this helps some
Quote Reply
Re: '05 Fuji Aloha vs. Cannondale R-1000+Visiontech shorty clipons [nycowl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will agree with the heavy reccommendation to get FISTed. This will cost a couple hundred bucks and leave you with a nice race wheel nest egg. there is no sense spending money on the Fuji if your C'Dale is pretty fast and you like to race on it. If you were to be told by the fitter that you can't really get close on the C'dale, but would be spot on with the Fuji then go for it. otherwise your better off with a fit an aero cover and a good front wheel than a new aero frame.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply