Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'05 Blade Frame Problem- Herbert?
Quote | Reply
  I have a new '05 Blade and was changing my bottle cage when I discovered that I couldn't unscrew the bolt out of the predrilled insert which goes into the down tube of the frame. Instead, the actual insert is loose yet I don't know how to get it out of the frame. Any ideas? I must say this is a bit of a cheap design for a $4,000.00 frame. Any help would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: '05 Blade Frame Problem- Herbert? [TriMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The water bottle bosses are rivet on and yours apparently came loose. Check with your bike shop as lots of shops have the tool to tighten it again. If not, please call us in the office. Sorry about the hassle.
Cheers,
Herbert
Litespeed/QR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott,

Sammamish should be able to hook you up and if not bring it to us and we can get it done. Scott (the mechanic) could take it to Hampsten Cycles the next time he goes over there and make it very permanent.

Should have gone with the TiPhoon. ;-) Actually, I am sorry to hear about this.

BTW - you missed the QR/ Merlin demo day at the store. 20+ Gucci rigs for your testing pleasure.

John Teeters
866-508-4676
john@triumph-multisport.com
http://www.triumph-multisport.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had that with many of my Litespeeds, and with the Ultimate that I rode today...my local shop has the tool to fix that...I was honored again this weekend with my Ultimate in a shop in Madison Wi..when I asked them to air my tires (Machinery Row Bikes) their mech. said..."now that bike looks cool as shit"...and when he lifted the 14lbs bike said "god damn that is light as hell"...little did he know that the only reason there was no bottle on the seat tube was the same issue you are having...and an small issue that I will have taken care of at my local dealer on Monday...that bottle boss is the least of your worries in life.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: '05 Blade Frame Problem- Herbert? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do they not weld those bosses in? My Moots and Matt Chester do, My Merlin does not, and I guess Litespeed dosn't either.
Quote Reply
Re: '05 Blade Frame Problem- Herbert? [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is an easy fix with a pop rivet gun that most bike shops have and can be purchased at any decent hardware store.

They aren't welded in for exactly this reason, well kind of: In other words, if you had accidentally cross-threaded your bottle mounts then it would involve a major frame repair (if they were welded in). With pop rivet mounts they can be removed and replaced without welding. The down side to that design is that sometimes one can work slightly loose and need to be secured.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: '05 Blade Frame Problem- Herbert? [triumph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John-

You didn't tell me about the Merlin/QR demo day. It would have been nice to ride a Ti-Phoon so as to reinforce my decision to go with the Blade ;). BTW the fit you did was great! I rode the IM CdA course in 5:40 and could have pushed harder. If only I knew how to run! Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Not buying it tom [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Using your logic I guess we shouldn't have threads in bottom brackets, pedals ,derailleur hangers, seat post binders or stems either. I have had over thirty bikes with cages and built up about 500, and have never messed up a bottle cage thread I have however, seen these pop rivets mess up at really really bad times, with no tool in site. There has to be a $ reason behind it as well.
Quote Reply
Re: '05 Blade Frame Problem- Herbert? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Machinery Row kicks ass. They were very helpfull during the days before IMMoo when I needed CO2 and other things that I couldn't fly with or forgot. A very good and close alternative to the expo dealer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike R

Software Engineer and Mac geek
Aspiring to be front-middle-of-the-pack in 2010.
Quote Reply
Re: Not buying it tom [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because a moron consumer with a 4mm allen will change out and strip their water bottle boss...but your typical schmuk wont have a BB tool to take that out, or mess with their rear Der.

Quote Reply
Re: Not buying it tom [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  I have to agree. I would expect a more "refined design" for a $4000.00 titanium frame. That said, my Blade is the nicest and best riding bike I have ever owned.
Quote Reply
Re: Not buying it tom [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But they take off their pedals and rear derailleur to put the bike in the box which are way easier than a bottle boss to strip. Still not buying it. G
Quote Reply
Re: '05 Blade Frame Problem- Herbert? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have to pull the BB to get out the bottom of the old rivet? I have had this problem with my PicanTi as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Not buying it tom [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pedals...that is not the frame builders problem...rear Der...why in the hell would you take that off to put the bike in a box? I have built no less than 5000 bikes...I have not once ever stripped a BB (but if you did you can chase the threads) and I have never but have seen customers strip a Der hanger...at what point you can drill it out and helicoil or get a new hanger for...but I HAVE stripped water bottle bolts, more than I care to admit (less than 20 I think)...oh, and though I hate them - ABG uses clamps now for the seat post...

This is again people just bitching cause it makes them feel better....

Quote Reply
Re: Not buying it tom [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is your opinion. The reality is that riveted bosses are a cost saving measure, it is not being done because of stripped boss threads. I have never stripped a boss thread and have never known a rider to strip one. Find any high quality steel bike with riveted in bosses? You cant. Same thing applies to ti: guys like Moots, and Kent Eriksen - arguably the two benchmarks by which ti frames are measured both weld in their bosses. If welding bosses was such a bad idea neither of those two would be doing it. Rivets are about saving time and reducing costs. And the other poster IMO is correct, no $3K or $4k frame should have rivets in it. Thats just lame.
Quote Reply
Re: Not buying it tom [bobo19] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
way to bump a 7 year old thread.

youre just lame.
Quote Reply
Re: Not buying it tom [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumping a bump is even lamer, lol
Quote Reply