Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

'03 TCR 0 - As IM Tri Bike
Quote | Reply
Anyone use a TCR 0/1/2 as a IM distance tri bike? What wheel combo's did you use and how did you like the ride quality? Were you able to dial-in your fitting properly with the compact frame? Any pictures to share/post?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: '03 TCR 0 - As IM Tri Bike [madisonbucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I don't think I used that exact model I did do 1 20k TT on a friends Giant size S. I currently ride a M for my road bike. I loved the Giant S for a TT bike, it fit me perfectly. I loved it so much I bought a S frame. Fed Ex meanwhile thought I shouldn't ride it and destroyed the frame in transit.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask Luc VanLierde or Luke Bell. Winner of Kona 1999 and 4th this year respectively.

I've done long roadie rides on mine and found it comfy and it's aluminium. I'd imagine the carbon version is really a plush ride.

For tri, a neutral seat post, seat forward on rails (gives 76 degrees) and small Syntace C2's. My wheels were - disc on rear(actually CH Aero covers) and Campy Shamal on front(replaced a Hed 60).
Quote Reply
Re: '03 TCR 0 - As IM Tri Bike [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool - thanks. I'm assuming that I could swap out the carbon/aero seatpost for a fast-forward one.

I might get crucified for this - but I am considering trading my P3 in for an lighter combo with 700c wheels. I'm a big carbon fan and think that the lighter set-up would benefit me more in the Wisconsin terrain that I normally ride.

Any pics of your bike you could share?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The fastest way to ruin your road bike is to use a fast forward seatpost. You may be able to make it work on the flats, but descending will be... character building.

If you are looking for a lighter bike, and still want the steep angles, buy a different bike. There are more than a few good bikes you can get that are very light, and still can get you to 76 degrees or more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't dismiss this bike as a viable option for a tri bike. It's geometry is very similar to the Cervelo Soloist. I'd think you'd be surprised on how forward you could get on the Giant with a zero set-back post and sliding the saddle forward on the rails, on a small I'd wager you could get to 78* easy, without using fast forward post.

Here is the kicker though, is the bike going to have a long enough top tube that when you effectively shorten it by moving the seat forward. Take a look at Cervelo's geometry tables and compare the reach figures for a road bike and a tri bike. You'll notice that although the Tri bike has a shorter top tube it has a longer reach value when compared to the same size road bike. i.e a 51 Soloist reach=37 while a 51 P3=40.7. Reach is the distance from BB to head tube, for me I ride with the nose of the saddle over the BB, that means I would need a 3.7cm longer stem on the Soloist to get the same reach on the P3.

I would normally be fit on a small TCR Giant if riding in a typical roadie position, but if I wanted to move to a pure Tri position I actually think a Medium would fit better due to the longer Top tube, as mentioned above. The only problem is that the medium has a tall stack height, so even with HED aerobars I may not get low enough. As you can tell I've been thinking getting one for a long time, just can't decide.
Quote Reply
Re: '03 TCR 0 - As IM Tri Bike [Luntzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride my TCR with a zero off-set post at a tad over 76* in roadie setup with room to move the seat forward if I wanted. I am pretty sure I could get 78* at Luntzy said just with the thompson zero off set post and seat all the way forward.

I have really been considering this option since selling my P2K (gasp !!). My problem is that I am one of the people who fall between the M and L size. decisons, decisions, but still feel the TCR can make a decent IM bike . . . I really do like Giant bikes and am strongly considering the new aero TCR as it comes with a 75* seat tube and would require less forward saddle movement to get to what I like (keeping the TT where it needs to be).
Quote Reply