Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

{Exhaustion Race] What sort of training would best prepare me for this?
Quote | Reply
A few months from now I'm going to undertake some really hard physical testing, one of which includes the following:

An exhaustion 'race':

15-20 guys stand at the top of a sand dune. When the instructor says 'go' they all sprint down, circle a stick or shovel, then run back up and stand in order of arrival. The instructor writes down the first X number of people (can be 1-20, depends on what he wants), then they go again.

Basically it's 20-90 seconds of sprinting, 10-30 seconds of rest, repeated for about 1 hour. Sometimes there are variations, where the first 4 people take a 100kg stretcher and do a 'bonus' round while everyone else jogs along. Then repeat the sprinting.

How the hell do you train for this? There are groups that train specifically for these testings, but they only meet 3 times a week for about 1-2 hours. They run on sand and mostly do sprinting or 30 minute runs.

I'm thinking building a big aerobic base would be the first step. If you're more aerobically developed you process lactate better, which would be good in this situation. But how big of a base? 60k a week? 70k? 100k?

Any thoughts would be appreciated
Last edited by: freestyle: Jan 31, 07 7:02
Quote Reply
Re: {Exhaustion Race] What sort of training would best prepare me for this? [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
while having an aerobic base would be good, you have described an event that will require a bit more specificity than 70-100k of running per week.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: {Exhaustion Race] What sort of training would best prepare me for this? [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO your mental preparation for this sort of thing is just as important as the physical preparation.
You have to decide to not quit. They will try to mess with your mind to weed out the quitters. It might seem "unfair" at the time that the first 4 have to carry the stretcher/log whatever extra, but it fits into this purpose. They are not automatically looking for the most fit people of the group, but the ones with the "no quit - no matter how hard" attitude.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BUDS?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds a lot like a crit race, work hard, recover, work hard again. An ideal training program is going to need to cover all energy systems to prepare you for that. Emphasis on aerobic work but definitely a couple of hard sessions a week leading up to the event.

The advantage you have is that it's a few months out. If I were you I would do

6 weeks of base (build 10-20% p.w. from wherever you are right now, emphasis on "steady" long runs)
5 weeks of specific prep (Add 1-2 x tempo runs per week and 1-2 x specific run - sand intervals p.w. No more than 3 hard sessions p.w.)
1 week taper

Hope this helps.

Alan

trigeek76@triathlontrainingsurvey.net
http://www.triathlontrainingsurvey.net
Fill out my training survey to receive a copy of how Slowtwitchers really train
Quote Reply
Re: {Exhaustion Race] What sort of training would best prepare me for this? [jefeloco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know.. they aren't looking for the fittest people, but it helps to be in shape..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SFAS? this sounds like something I have done before. Do they also have you carry buckets of sand over two steep sand hills only to knock them over or say they are under-filled? Sounds like fun to me.

"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it. "
Steve Irwin
Quote Reply
Re: {Exhaustion Race] What sort of training would best prepare me for this? [crikey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah it's testing for the Army (in Israel).. not sure I'm allowed to say what Unit it's for though..

Anyway another thing they have is these group discussions/missions (move a telephone pole 30 through a grid without it touching the ground) and stuff like that.. I'm afraid I'm going to land in a group of assholes where each person tries to be the leader and I won't be able to stand out.. Any suggestions for that? I don't have a problem telling people what to do, but I'm not one to yell and shout..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Freestyle

I know for our BUDS guys (US Navy Seals), injuries are a major consideration. I would do some serious injury proof training. Lots of core strengthening (shoulders, back, ankles, knees etc...).

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alot of it depends on what rank you are. In this phase of testing they are not looking for people to take the role of leader of the group but rather seeing who works well within the group and to see how the group dynamics pan out. Is this for a US military? Its a bit unclear in your phrasing. (which may be why you phrased it that way) you will find that as people drop out, you will be moved to a different group or others will be moved to yours.....take it all in stride and just do your best. The mental part is the hardest as everyone is going to come to a point where they can't go on. I heard a story about a guy who broke his ankle during SFAS while on a forced march and although he couldn't move, he refused to quit. Of course he didn't pass, as that type of injury will prevent you from going further, but they did recycle him and he had another shot.

Most operators I have come in contact with are not the shouting type....quiet and with controlled force would be a better description. You will also find that the instructors will not yell and shout...as long as they are not writing down your number as you pass by, your doing ok. Best of luck and PM me if you have questions you don't want answered on a public forum.

"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it. "
Steve Irwin
Quote Reply
Re: {Exhaustion Race] What sort of training would best prepare me for this? [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know, we're doing a lot of dry land exercies (pull ups, push ups, that thing where you do press ups in a parallel bar, sit ups and back strenth exercises).

I do remember though that the stretcher, last time I carried it, was freaking heavy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When are you going to whistle for us again?

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: {Exhaustion Race] What sort of training would best prepare me for this? [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL you remember that =P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could be talking to the hottest chick and forget her name, but for some reason I will ALWAYS remember you whistling that silly tune.

Good luck with that running up and down thingamagic. Sounds like a lot of fun.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply