Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
[UPDATED] The Giant is going home -- I'm getting a QR Tequilo 2005!
Quote | Reply
OK, so I've listened to the advice from you guys and I've ordered the 2005 Quintana Roo Tequilo! I'm excited, and think it will be a great first Tri-bike. I'm going to A3S to pick it up.

I look forward to the time when I can post pictures and have you guys tell me "My Seat is Too High"[tm]

Trae

So, as I said when I started this whole thing, that when I was finished with IMFL, I'd give The Giant back. My original intention was to give it back to the Slowtwitch community, but the original owner (the guy that gave it to Tibbs in the first place), has a friend who wants to get into triathlons, and needs a bike. I think it's fitting that TSR will keep on giving.

This will sorta leave me without a ride. :)

I have, as my profile now indicates, been working full time since June, and while I can't afford to spend a lot on a bike, the wife has agreed that we can stick proably around $1,000 on plastic. She's even OK'ed me up to $1500, but I don't know if I want to spend that much.

I've already decided that this is something I really want to do. I'm doing the Rock and Rollman again this June, I'm even thinking of an IM distance race to do in 2007! But, I need a bike. I really would like a true tri-bike instead of the road geometry. With the Giant, I got a fast forward seat post, and that helped things out somewhat, but I always felt I was too far back on the bike.

I'd LOVE to get a Cervelo Dual 10 but, I'd rather not spend more than $1,000 if I can help it.

I don't know anything about used stuff, and was thinking, maybe I could purchase a used frame, maybe even some other used components and get a decent bike for around $1,000 USD.

What do you think gang?
Thanks in advance,
Trae

--
Trae McCombs
TSR - Sponsored by the Masses. Racing for the hell of it.
Ironman Finisher 2005 -- 14:09:18
Last edited by: occy: Nov 10, 05 13:12
Quote Reply
Re: [TSR] The Giant is returning to it's original owner -- I need ideas on a bike! [occy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are some very very nice bikes that come through the ST classified and they are cheap!

Re: [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I can always ask you guys(and gals) about the bikes huh? I want to make sure I'm getting a decent bike. I don't know much other than Cervelo. This forum has driven that into my head. heh. Cervelo good, Cervelo good. Cervelo good. :) [And they are sexy looking bikes]

Tx LTI83
Trae

--
Trae McCombs
Quote Reply
Re: [TSR] The Giant is returning to it's original owner -- I need ideas on a bike! [occy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Leader frame certainly looks sharp in person. And generally has good reviews. I'd take a peek at that. $239 for the 7005 Al frame is a real steal. Pair that with a decent 105 or Centaur (or Veloce) grouppo and you are ready to rock. Then you get a new bike with new parts that you know is solid. Maybe pick up a used Renn for some real extra speed.

http://stores.ebay.com/Leader-Bike-USA-Limited-Time-Store_TRI-TIME-TRIAL-FRAMES_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.feltracing.com/06/06_triathlon/s32/

I'm sure you could find a better deal than MSRP and probably get you down around 1200 or so...

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size?

If you need a groupset I will give you one.

I have bars, forks, and allot of other fun stuff left. Anything you need that I have is yours.

I can get you at a minimum 10% off of dealer cost on most anything. Reynolds wheels, Campy, Shimano, and on and on...let me know what you need.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll second the Leader recommendation. My training partner loves his (note that his is a road bike, though). He races on a Felt and loves that too.

Me, I have two custom frames from the same guy, so if you want brand names, I'm not the greatest source. ;)

I race duathlons and like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2005 QR's are on clearance at Trisports.com. A Tequilo is 1399 amd a Kilo is 999. Neither is a bad choice at those prices. This is the time of year to do it.

All3sports has similar deals, $100 more for the Tequilo though. Thay also have the Dual 10 for 150 bucks off.

Go buy a bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you need wheels, i probably could spare a set such as Ritchey OCR Pros. Let me know,

sean
Quote Reply
Re: [Scamboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scamboy is dead on. If the QRs fit, its a freaking great deal.

- Nick
Now that I know some of you guys look through the special needs bags for kicks, I'm gonna put some really weird stuff in mine. I can see it now. "What the heck was he going to do with a family pack of KFC chicken, a football helmet full of peanut butter, a 12 inch rubber dildo, and naked pictures of Bea Arthur?"
Quote Reply
Re: [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well Said.

If he needs a 58cm there are '05s to be had.

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size Dual are you looking for?

I have a 56cm dual 9spd that i was pondering selling.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar is right that the Leader bike is a great value. We both saw the same one at the EP camp. The guy riding it is a pro and he used to work at a bike shop so I trust his review of the Leader and he seemed very satisfied with his choice.
Quote Reply
Re: [B-Dub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, you guys are all super duper nice. I am continually blown away by how quick people are ready to step up and give.

In this case, I want to try and purchase a good bulk of what I need... I can spend safely around $1,000.

I was talking with Chip and if I purchase a good frame and aerobars, then get the other components TSR'ed, I can start to replace the parts little by little, but will have a good frame to build on. The parts I replace, I'll TSR back to the community.

I am 6'2" with 34" inseam (32" pants -- measured from mid section to floor) I am not sure what size frame I'd even need.

So that's kinda the plan right now...
Trae

--
Trae McCombs
Quote Reply
Re: [occy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Occy,

If you are buying a road bike, the your inseam is a more relevant measure. For tri-bike, the top-tube is more important. I would guess you would want a 55 or 56 tribike, but if you have a very short or very long torso, that might change a bit.

A Felt S32 on sale is also going to be a great look for you.

QR also has some good bikes. Trisports has the Kilo on sale for $1099: http://trisports.com/20qurooki.html

The Tequilo is just a bit more.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This sounds dorky, but...

The S32 looks cooler except for the aerobars. (God, I know I sound like a complete moron)

The Tequilo looks great except for the lame gradient paint job. :)

Would the Tequilo have better components or something? Also, I should be able to make a 55 or a 57 fit me right, just by lowering the seat, or stem or something?

Thanks tons and I apologize again for my utter lack of knowledge.
Trae

--
Trae McCombs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you really have no idea what size you should take, you probably need a better starting point than asking people on an Internet forum. Maybe trying to dave a few bucks should not be the priority as much as getting a properly fitting bike. Do you have any stores near you that can fit you and ALSO give you a good deal on a bike? Maybe you can take in the ad for the Tequilo or Kilo and they can come close while also making sure the bike is the right one. Where are you located?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just noticed you are in Georgia. Why not go and get a fitting in Atlanta at All3sports and buy one of their clearance bikes.

And...if you are worried about cost and have a rigid budget, and someone will give you a proper-fitting Tequilo for 500 dollars off and that is within your budget, then think you need to stop worrying about the paint job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Again, I agree with Scamboy. All3Sports has got incredible deals right now. Go now. Just put the mouse down and walk out the door.

And don't knock the paintjob on the Tequilo, I personally find it to be glorious.

- Nick
Now that I know some of you guys look through the special needs bags for kicks, I'm gonna put some really weird stuff in mine. I can see it now. "What the heck was he going to do with a family pack of KFC chicken, a football helmet full of peanut butter, a 12 inch rubber dildo, and naked pictures of Bea Arthur?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having owned both Felt and QR in the past, they are both quality machines. At 6'2", though, I'd think maybe a 58 would be right. I'm just under 6' and ride a 56 w/ 56cm top tube. If you can get to a shop and ride some bikes, make note of their top tube length and that'll help you decide what size you need in your tri bike.

Quote Reply
Re: [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have friend that purchased an '05 S32, I got the S22. More than once I kinda wished I'd have just saved my bucks and got the 32. Not a whole lot of difference really, not sure if it was worth the money or not.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Local bike store is nothing but die-hard roadies. They laugh at Tri-bikes.

They don't care a single Tri bike in stock at the store and won't do it.

They said they would order something, but I'd have to put money down on it and crap, and if it's not something I like, I'm stuck with it. Heck, with that, I can always buy online.

And, all I know about triathlon I learned from ST. :)

Trae

--
Trae McCombs
Quote Reply
Re: [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't the 22 a better bike than the 32?
Quote Reply
Re: [stallion1031] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heh, it's only 80+ miles away from here... not like I can get there in a heart beat or something.

I am also afraid I'll get up there, look at those Cervelo's and start drooling and stuff.

Trae

--
Trae McCombs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to All3Sports. Itll be worth the drive.

- Nick
Quote Reply

Prev Next