Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

?Speedplay Zero Cleat installation/placement....
Quote | Reply
I have gone from old speedplay to dura Ace and now back to the Speedplay Zero(..couldn't pass up Tom's excellent review..). Does anyone have any tips for proper installation of the cleats? I run the cleats on Shimano TRS02 shoes. It seems getting just the right tension on the bolts is the key.....
Also, any tips on actual cleat placement/positioning?? I wear a 48 shoe, so w/ such Hobbit feet I seem to be either overlapping in the front or catching my heel in the back...
Thanks,
HC

---------------------------------------------------
Holden Cain, ObGyn..."People pulling people out of people"
Quote Reply
Re: ?Speedplay Zero Cleat installation/placement.... [holdencain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had trouble installing mine. I should have gone to the bike shop and had them install cleats. Something to consider. Plus, the seat height changes with these cleats.
Quote Reply
Re: ?Speedplay Zero Cleat installation/placement.... [slownfat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i use the zeros, having come from using looks for over a decade. i found, and this was seconded by my chiro who races, that the cleats need to be a bit more forward than other pedals. not really sure why that is, but your foot will be allowed to dip that heel just a bit more and the pedal stroke improves significantly.

good luck and enjoy the weight savings,

seamus
Quote Reply
Re: ?Speedplay Zero Cleat installation/placement.... [holdencain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Front/rear cleat positioning should only be adjusted to get the spindle position correct relative to the ball of your foot, and the correct position is probably best determined by someone good with bike fit/positioning. The general starting point is with the spindle aligned with the ball of your foot, but I started there and had it moved forward by the person who fitted me. Toe/wheel overlap will just become the result of where you end up. I have this issue on my TT bike, but not the road bike. Cleat position is the same, but TT length shorter on the TT bike.

As far as catching your heel on the chainstay, is this because you are turning your heel in? With the Zero cleats, you can adjust the inward float so your float ends before your foot rubs on the chainstay. This should not be an issue as long as your foot is still able to face forward (0 degrees).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The speedplays shouldn't be very hard to set up. When installing the cleats just make sure not to over tighten and warp the cleat at all. Tighten the bolts in a cross patern (top left, bottom right, top right, bottom left...) versus going in a circle. Use thread lock but if you do check the screws for rust occasionally or they will be frozen in place as mine currently are. I just grease everything and retighten every couple of months.

You should also be able to get the cleat placement with respect to the pedal axle the same on the speedplays as your shimanos. I set mine up with the axle under the 2nd metatarsal head (ball of the foot is probably close enough) when riding steep and sometimes run the axle a little farther back on my road bike. Make sure to check that your seat height doesn't need to change as well.

I'm currently debating trying the new Look Keos or the Ultegras after years of Speedplay devotion, I love the float but I'm just a little curious about the merits of a bigger platform and less fear of my shoes unclipping when jumping off in T2...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i am looking at switching my shoes from the sidi t1 to the shimano tr02.

did you need an adaptor for the speedplay zero cleat to fit on there? the sidi's don't, and i am hoping the same about the shimano shoes?

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no adaper..worked fine.

---------------------------------------------------
Holden Cain, ObGyn..."People pulling people out of people"
Quote Reply