Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

$50 off Harriman Entry
Quote | Reply
I have a $50 coupon for this race that I won last year. I am definitely not racing. If you would like the coupon, please in a few sentences explain why you are deserving. I will announce the winner on Thursday evening based on the replies to this post.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Re: $50 off Harriman Entry [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure that I am deserving at all but would sure like to have 50 off. That way my procrastination and failure to sign up before 3/31 will not cost me anything and I will not have to learn any lessons. Also, live in Clifton Park, does that help or hurt? Finally, I can assure you that I will not beat your winning time from last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bump.

Please post you entertaining posts here. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everybody is a bunch of posers, they don't wanna do a challenging early season race (unless it's STX or Wildflower or something someplace warm), and especially one where they won't be able to set a PB or have a "braggable" time to spew about to anyone who will listen.

Eagleman sells out in a heartbeat (OK, so for the 3 people who might get a Kona slot there, that makes sense - for everybody else, what's the attraction?), Devilman is held in a cesspool and packs 'em in, and yet Harriman, which is like 30 miles from NYC and on a beautiful challenging course, goes begging and can't even get 100 competitors.

Everybody complains about drafting, right? There is NONE on this course. Zip. Nada.

Had I not signed up back in Nov, I'da been more than happy to regale you with an entertaining post.

Maybe yer $50 will help Parkito finally sack up and do this race in his own backyard?
(I'm not gonna hold my breath....)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do I win by default? I think the saved money would best be put towards a neoprene swim cap. Have a feeling the water will not be all that warm.
Quote Reply
Re: $50 off Harriman Entry [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe yer $50 will help Parkito finally sack up and do this race in his own backyard?
(I'm not gonna hold my breath....)

I read that!

If you weren't bigger than me, and faster than me, and stronger than me, and younger than me and if I didn't have this near lethal head cold, I'd pummel your ass big time, a la Alec Baldwin and his 12 year old daughter.

I owe you some swimming lessons. I found out that the Wyckoff Y is basically open to anyone for a mere $10 per visit. If there is a pool in New Yawk that is better, I would be ready next week to pass on my humble collected wisdom.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: $50 off Harriman Entry [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhh, I was hoping I could bait you outta hiding w/ some well placed smacktalk.
So - are ya gonna man-up and do Harriman? Are ya? Punk!

Now run away, or I will taunt you a second time! ;-)

<< I would be ready next week to pass on my humble collected wisdom. >>

And as Homer would say, "and I want to let you!"

I've been swimming at the New Windsor Y, which is a bargain at $9 a visit (but I think that's only cuz I buy a 10-pack punch card, it's probably more on a per-visit basis if you pay as you go, I'd imagine).

I'll come to you. Yer the one doing me the favor, so I'll make the drive.
PM me and we'll figger sumthin out.
-M

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Devilman is held in a cesspool and packs 'em in, and yet Harriman, which is like 30 miles from NYC and on a beautiful challenging course, goes begging and can't even get 100 competitors.

I'm doing Devilman and am part of a relay for Harriman, does that make me a quasi-poser? The ridonkulous entry fee for Harriman kept me away last year (although clearly I don't have any problem paying $80 to swim a mile this year...)

I also don't know that having around 240 entrants at Devilman counts as "packing 'em in."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OMG.... do you remember the water temp last year!

"Pace is just a matter of having enough RedBull..." -Rappstar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough water! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

Well, I must admit, someone needs to help keep Dev in line at Tupper, so I am nominating you.

Now, young Grasshopper, let me see you walk on the rice paper and leave no trace.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
Quote Reply
Re: $50 off Harriman Entry [NMath] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick, the "good"news about Devilman is that I got an email saying that they are "cleaning up" the pond for the swim. Taking out the tree stumps and bringing in some solid base.

Good luck (and you still better not swallow any of that water!).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you still have it, you could donate it to me. i'm a poor grad student in new york and i would love to do the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Harriman, which is like 30 miles from NYC and on a beautiful challenging course, goes begging and can't even get 100 competitors.
Everybody complains about drafting, right? There is NONE on this course. Zip. Nada.

Lets repeat that. A beautiful course, said by many roadies to be one of the best bike race courses in the entire USA. Yes, it has hills. The lake is clean and the beach is sandy. There are a gazillion bathroom stalls *inside a building*. Food+drink every mile on the run. There is a pretty campsite a couple of miles from the race site. And its 30 miles from NYC and 3hrs drive from Philadelphia. And that drafting thing? Last year on my third lap of the bike course, I was lucky to even *see* another ride, let alone draft one. OK, maybe thats not so great, but you can change that ....

Why are *you*, dear reader, not doing this race?

Quote Reply
Re: $50 off Harriman Entry [dawhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotta haul this thread back up. This morning at 5:30 am I was chugging Ensure and throwing my tri shit int the back of the bus for the long drive to.... not Devilman, but Harriman for the upteenth time this year to throw myself against it's hills.

I'm pissed I didn't go down to Devilman for at least the sprint to shake the cobwebs out. It would have been cool to race and start the season off on the new rig, but 4 laps at Harriman will have to do.

No PRs at Harriman, the only bragging rights you can get there are to those in the know that a 3 hour bike split is worth crowing about. It really is a nice course, there are places that I swear look like the Pacific Northwest - cruising down 7 lakes drive and casting a glance over your right shoulder - absolutely BOMBING down Tioroti brook drive - suffering up Lake Welch Drive.... Ahh I can't wait. The swim will be cold, the bike will hurt, and the run will feel long... Wave to the guy on his new cervelo p2c puffing along posing that'll be me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone sounds cranky. Did you have a bad morning?

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give me the coupon, or I'll punch you right in the nuts.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: $50 off Harriman Entry [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry I did not close this out. I sent the coupon ot Chris G last week.
Quote Reply
Re: $50 off Harriman Entry [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Give me the coupon, or I'll punch you right in the nuts.
You'll have to catch me to punch me in the nuts. The last two weeks your have been unable to do this on the run or bike. Maybe you could catch up to me in the water as you are probably have more natural buoyancy than I do.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't go taunting him, Yoda - he's a cham-peen sandbagger of the highest order:

"Oh, my hamstring hurts" (as he's "jogging" 6 min miles)

"I had nothing in my legs today" (and still only finishes a few mins back of the leader)

"I might race on Sunday, depends how I feel" (and then comes in 2nd overall, and totally schools everybody else on the bike.)

Cartman definitely found the nitrous on the bike today.
Anything that big, going that far that fast, aughta have a stewardess on it. ;-)

Nicely done Tetsuoni.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coupon has been redeemed and is much appreciated , thanks again !
Quote Reply
Re: $50 off Harriman Entry [edk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devilman would have been blowing you all over the road this morning. and the sprint is hardly a comparison for 4 laps at harriman. plus the water was its usual grungy self, with the starters standing in bottom slim at the line. ugh. glad i was just spectating and leaving the racing to my wife.

if you want to do hills, there must be a place somewhere between Harriman and Devilman that is closer. those of us close to philadelphia get to use the gladwyne hills on the west side of the schuylkill (plus a few on the east side too), which are a pretty good training ground for Harriman (they got me to a 3:01 bike split at harriman last year in my first ever triathlon).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Anything that big, going that far that fast, aughta have a stewardess on it. ;-)"

I agree, just don't tell my wife.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: $50 off Harriman Entry [dawhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm about half way between Phila and Harriman, probably closer to philly, but usually traffic takes the time. I don't know the rides there that well.

I've adopted the Murphyslaw training approach to IMLP.... If you can ride well at Harriman LP will take care of itself. Heres hoping! Any more tidbits from he race?
Quote Reply