Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
$250 to spend on triathlon
Quote | Reply
Hi all, first post here and looking for some ideas.

Im in my first season of triathlon and have done two sprint tris and an olympic with another olympic coming up next weekend. Not sure if its relevant or not but ive placed in the top 3 in my AG(M20-24) at each race.

I fell in love with the sport and really enjoy the training and racing and my boss knows this and is giving me $250 to spend on triathlon as my 'birthday' gift.

Im looking for some ideas and thoughts on what would be a wise purchase for me to make with this. Im looking for something that would benefit my training primarily and something I could use long term.

I currently have the following gear:
-Used road bike i bought for $500 in February. I had speedplay pedals put on it and bought road bike shoes too (Raleigh Grand Sport i think its a 2010)
-Polar FT7 HR monitor (has been giving me issues lately not picking up my HR but works most of the time)
-3 pair of tri shorts and two jerseys
-Xterra wetsuit
-New pair of brooks pureflow and a back up pair of ghost 5s
- Wahoo Blue SC Speed/Cadence sensor (just ordered to use with trainerroad)
- Use my IPhone with Strava to track my runs and rides

I was looking at maybe getting a GPS watch but im not sure i really 'need' it considering the other items I have.

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts? Any input is appreciated!

https://www.strava.com/athletes/4391866

Quote Reply
Re: $250 to spend on triathlon [jsaunders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clip on aero bars & entry fees or maybe swim lessons?
Quote Reply
Re: $250 to spend on triathlon [ndhoffma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clearly based on what was written, Aero bars.

Monthly dues to join a masters swim team.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
consider getting an aero helmet if you don't already have one.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A razor to shave your legs.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Entry fees and gas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aerobars are a very good suggestion.
Quote Reply
Re: $250 to spend on triathlon [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies. I'm searching for a $250 razor now I want to be as aero as possible.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsaunders wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I'm searching for a $250 razor now I want to be as aero as possible.

It's been wind tunneled as producing extra watts due to less drag.

I agree with the others, aero bars and stem or seatpost to adjust fit as needed, and either masters team or lessons/analysis as needed. If your swim times are anything over 1:45ish, there's time you can pick up there.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsaunders wrote:

Even I would have thought this was nuts but from the reports and even a friend doing this before worlds, well, I will never say never.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
used Garmin 910 xt with heart rate..... swim info, bike info, and run info.... will make you better if you use it properly
J

You can't fix stupid ..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
indoor trainer and trainerroad.com subscription?
Quote Reply
Re: $250 to spend on triathlon [kdktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep I have a trainer and will purchase trainer road as well.

Thanks for the replies everyone I'm thinking I'll put it towards masters swimming and some clip on aero bars.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a set of clip ons?

Quote Reply
Re: $250 to spend on triathlon [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/quote]It's been wind tunneled as producing extra watts due to less drag.[/quote]
Last time I checked shaving your legs didn't "produce extra watts". It's not like you shave, and then your ftp raises 5 watts. It's a saving of X watts at a given speed. Sorry, this has always bugged me when it's stated that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Re clip ons; Go second hand.. so many people buy them for a sprint or Oly to try out the sport then bail.. something along the lines of Deda Elementi parabolica clip ons..or similar... cheap as chips and good enough... and you can mount many of these on the underside of your bars and use the bar tops as the rest position for your fore arms etc....
Then the bike position / fit...
Then the shaving
Clean up the existing bike, ie from an aero perpsective, tuck away cables, get rid of bottle cages and bottle in the frame, loose anything anciallary on the bike, spares kits, lights, reflectors, pumps etc.. and aim to use a bta or behind the saddle if practical...cages and cable ties here.. no need to spend big..

And seeing as your already top 3, don't expect any more help... :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For aerobars, go used (unless you find a great deal or something on close out). And while there are many nice clip-ons out there, when I still used my road bike for competitions, I found a used set of profile design T1+ for something like 40€. They are J-bend, and fit great. Just make sure you find the shape that fits you best, whether it be "J", "S", or straight, and not what looks best on the bike : )
Ciao
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hookers and blow.

Oh wait, $250 doesn't really get you much of either, so perhaps this is the one instance this isn't the correct answer.

Clip-on aero bars (if you don't already have them), & maybe a less-expensive aero helmet.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not sure about aerobars.

Because they will make sense if properly fitted, I don't know if you have self fitting experience.
Also, aerobars with road bike sometimes need different frame size. For example, I have a friend who went with pro-fit on his road bike. The bike frame is 52, but according to the fitter, he needs frame size 49-48 to have a good fit.

So, I would suggest aero helmet
Quote Reply
Re: $250 to spend on triathlon [potomuchto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shorty aero bars with a low pad height almost always fit fine just bolted onto a standard road bike. You just won't be quite as low as a tri / TT bike, but probably more comfortable and still more aero than riding the hoods or drops.

plus they're cheap as chips, so he'll have money left over for pool time.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See if you can find some used Carbon Stryke clip-ons and a Giro Advantage 2 helmet (it still tests as one of the faster helmets around). You can do both for less than $200 if you are lucky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsaunders wrote:
Yep I have a trainer and will purchase trainer road as well.

Thanks for the replies everyone I'm thinking I'll put it towards masters swimming and some clip on aero bars.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a set of clip ons?

good call.

Any shorty bar with pads and a low pad height will do. something like this would probably work in the smallest size.

http://www.profile-design.com/...rs/zbs-ski-bend.html

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
clip on aero bars and a bike fit afterwards. It will go past $250 but the fit is where you gain the most speed and less injuries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, with all the aerobar suggestions, and since you have a road bike, I would consider the Redshift Sports Switch Aero System (aerobars + dual position seat post). It retails for $299, so it goes beyond your gift, but if I had $250 handed to me, this would be a no brainer for me. YMMV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aero Bars (used) (2 minutes)

Skinsuit, arm warmers (whatever) (1 minute)

aero drink system (looks nice)

Shave ( 1 minute)

Swimcap on helmet (makes a cheap aero) (1 minute)

5 minutes for $250, $50 a minute, pretty cheap.
(keep the change)

Losing weight = priceless
Quote Reply
Re: $250 to spend on triathlon [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great info and thanks for the replies all. I'll be on the lookout for some clip ons. Really appreciate the advice!

Quote Reply

Prev Next