Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

$20 Sunglasses vs $200 Sunglasses
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: $20 Sunglasses vs $200 Sunglasses [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No thanks. I'll stick with my Foster Grant Ironman glasses. They last 2-3 years and I don't worry if they get lost or broken.

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you could give those of us at work that can't get to Youtube the lowdown.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does Oakley mold the Z87.1 into the inside part of the arm now? I know before that they didn't, and I know a lot of EHS mgrs wouldn't let guys wear them as their protective eyewear without the Z87.1 indicated on the glasses.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: $20 Sunglasses vs $200 Sunglasses [JerseyQuaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Does Oakley mold the Z87.1 into the inside part of the arm now? I know before that they didn't, and I know a lot of EHS mgrs wouldn't let guys wear them as their protective eyewear without the Z87.1 indicated on the glasses.

I think only on the industrial models it is indicated in the arm.
From their web:
All Oakley Eyewear meets or exceeds ANSI Z87.1 standards for optical clarity and impact resistance. Oakley has not taken additional measurements for OSHA standards. Please check with your employer for which standards may be required for use at work. OSHA Standards (—) 29 CFR, Eye and Face Protection (—) 1910.133 Federal regulated standards in which employers must comply for the protection and safety of their employees. This standard obligates employers to enforce the uses of appropriate eye or face protection when exposed to hazardous materials, liquids, vapors, chemicals or other harmful substances. It provides specific requirements of such protection allowed in the workplace. OSHA references ANSI Z87.1 as the benchmark standard for occupational eye and face protection. Section (b) (1) Protective eye and face devices purchased after July 5, 1994 shall comply with ANSI Z87.1-1989, "American National Standard Practice for Occupational and Educational Eye and Face Protection," which is incorporated by reference as specified in Sec. 1910.6. www.osha.gov ANSI Z87.1 - Practice for Occupational and Educational Eye and Face Protection Standard Z87.1 (—) 1979 American National Standard Institute is a private, non-profit organization. It includes the specific standards for evaluating factors such as impact resistance, lens thickness, projectile penetration, and optical quality.
Last edited by: swimfan: Jun 19, 09 8:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha. I have three pairs of sunglasses. One is a $20 pair, and one is a $160 pair of Rudy Projects that I won in a raffle. The rudy's are stupid light, don't mess with colors at all, and don't distort the image. However... they push against my head, right above my ears, and give me tender spots. Also, they bounce when I run (my stride isn't quite as smooth as it needs to be).

So I wear the $20 pair for anything over three hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I raced XC (mtn bikes not running) as a junior my mom was worried about my eyes and got me my first pair of m-frames. I beat the absolute crap out of those and they never let me down and always did what sunglasses are supposed to do. PROTECT YOUR EYES. If you have never raced XC its no unusual to crash during races or to take a low hanging branch to the face. I have professed my love for Oakley as a company before on this board and I will do it again. Bomb proof products and excellent customer service.

To me thats worth a premium price and im sorry but not all oakleys are 200 bucks. I got my latest pair off e-bay new for 75 vs the 140 retail price.

God's in his heaven, alls right with the world -Nerv
Quote Reply
Re: $20 Sunglasses vs $200 Sunglasses [suparuki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a few pairs of Oakleys and I love them. The Racing Jackets, although crazy looking, fit my face well and don't fog as long (as you're moving!). I'm not a big fan of cheap sunglasses, especially for training. The impact resistance is key with the Oaks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heres were all our money is going into their advertising. I do love my Oakley Radars though. Kinda ridiculous it takes em 3 weeks to warranty a set of frames though. + 1-2 weeks to ship there and back. My glasses take longer to warranty than my bike did. Recockulous.

FJB: Not to mention the number of people that can't bike or run....
Quote Reply
Re: $20 Sunglasses vs $200 Sunglasses [Blue42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Heres were all our money is going into their advertising. I do love my Oakley Radars though. Kinda ridiculous it takes em 3 weeks to warranty a set of frames though. + 1-2 weeks to ship there and back. My glasses take longer to warranty than my bike did. Recockulous.
Rudy is fast on that. Usually turnaround is couple of days plus shipping time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also at work - cant see youtube.

But I think I currently have 4 pairs of Oakleys and love every pair. I use the Flak Jackets (and @ 5 lens sets) for anything from running and riding to skeet shooting.

Last summer I was shooting and took a big piece of a clay right off my left eye at a pretty good rate of speed. For those that dont know a "clay" is a hardened clay circular target that when broken can fly into some pretty sharp pieces. Well this thing bounced off the lense and didnt leave a scratch.

I've had similar incidents skiing and mountain biking. I dont know if the $20 glasses would have worked the same, maybe - but when it comes to my eyes - I dont care to find out. They've worked great for me going on 15 plus years, they take a beating, the lenses are great and the couple of times I've had issues their customer service has been absolutely top notch. They're not cheap but I'll stick to them.
Quote Reply
Re: $20 Sunglasses vs $200 Sunglasses [persondude27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You must not have a pair with adjustable temples..? I can't imagine what all that UV exposure is doing to you on the 3+ hour days with the cheapies.

http://www.e-rudy.com
Quote Reply
Re: $20 Sunglasses vs $200 Sunglasses [e-rudy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You must not have a pair with adjustable temples..? I can't imagine what all that UV exposure is doing to you on the 3+ hour days with the cheapies.
Most people do not know that you can bend the arms and temples easily!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Most people do not know that you can bend the arms and temples easily!
Had a conversation last night about how under-marketed that and the nose-piece features really are!

Quote Reply
Re: $20 Sunglasses vs $200 Sunglasses [e-rudy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Used to have a prescription pair, broke em. Had other expensive pairs, broke em.

Now it's either a 50 dollar pair of Tifosi's or my personal favorite from Precision Sports Eyewear. The place at all of the expos. Light and cheap. I usually stock up and get a couple pair for 40 bucks.
Quote Reply
Re: $20 Sunglasses vs $200 Sunglasses [darottens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know we have the best warranty in the biz. Scratch or break lenses? $20. Break your frame outside the 3-year warranty? Wholesale pricing. Its crazy how people rarely take advantage of the warranties that are offered to them.

Quote Reply
Re: $20 Sunglasses vs $200 Sunglasses [miniclydesdale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my Racing Jackets. The only thing that could get them off my face is if a pair of Jawbones showed up under the Father's Day Tree on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Re: $20 Sunglasses vs $200 Sunglasses [persondude27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the third pair?
Quote Reply