Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

$200 BB........Worth It??
Quote | Reply
I am looking at going RED for a bike and wondered if the $200 BB is worth it? Thoughts. DA BB is $40. Whats the deal? Thanks, Nelson
Quote Reply
Re: $200 BB........Worth It?? [Easyrhino72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The $200 is for the ceramic GXP, but there's a "team" GXP that is at the same price point as the DA. I guess ceramic bearings are expensive?
Maybe someone with some insight weigh in on this, I'm kind of interested.
Quote Reply
Re: $200 BB........Worth It?? [artvandalay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the problem is, the regular non-ceramic GXP BB has had very poor reviews. Talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

to the OP, consider after market BBs. I believe Token makes an external bearing BB that works with the Truvativ models.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at the Fast One Ceraminc BB. It is about $150 with their online coupon and spins very very nicely. My shop was very impressed and they drink the Red Kool-Aid daily.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nelson: No way, not worth it. You'll buy more speed if you get the DA BB and spend the extra $160 elsewhere (e.g. high-end tri clothing or aero helmet). If you absolutely need to have a ceramic BB, I'd try to find the FSA ceramic BB on eBay. A new one can be had for $100-110 if you're patient. Even then, however, the difference in performance is negligible. I used to have the DA BB, then switched to the FSA ceramic, and now am back to DA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm the first person to throw water on ceramic bearings--and, they're not going to make you measurably faster. 40 times nothing is still nothing. Still, I finally got tired of DA bottom brackets lasting for 3 weeks before they were grinding and making noise--and the Enduro replacement bearings wouldn't work with my SRM, so I tried one of these.

I have about 2500 miles on it so far, and there's no noise or grinding sensation. That, to me, is 'worth it'. I'll know better though after a winter of rain riding just how much better it is, but the DA BB's would turn to crap after 2 wet rides and/or about 500 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: $200 BB........Worth It?? [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the red FSA ceramic BB and it seems to work well. Now the question is if it works any better than the regular bb that came with the cranks and the reality is that I could probably never tell the difference. But, it looks cool

"Oh you hate your job? There's a support group for that, it's called EVERYBODY and they meet at the bar."
Quote Reply