Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
$1800 wheel budget. 2 Options. What would you do?
Quote | Reply
Note: I have two bikes with OEM Easton wheels. Both are ridden with pretty much equal frequency.

Would you buy one set of 2010 Zipp 404's or two sets of Reynolds DV3K's? Put another way, are the Zipps really 2x better?

(PS, I'm not blazing fast, although the aero advantages are of interest, the ride quality of carbon wheels is just as relevant to me).

Discuss...
Quote Reply
Re: $1800 wheel budget. 2 Options. What would you do? [Iron Buckeye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a set of Zipp 404 Firecrest in the Slowtwitch Classifieds for $1,850. But those.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread
Last edited by: bobby11: Feb 2, 12 9:08
Quote Reply
Re: $1800 wheel budget. 2 Options. What would you do? [Iron Buckeye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would you buy 2 sets of the same wheels when you can only use one set at a time? Buy 1 and swap it out as needed. Or go all out and get the zipps, though you should be able to find them cheaper.

For the record I got rid of DV3K's and got 808FCs. Get the wheels you like and stick with it. You won't be left wanting more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 answers - 2 different opinions
If you plan on just using the new wheels as a race set, I might say the Zipps.
But really I would say the Reynolds so that you could have a set of the same wheels for both bikes. Are YOU going to be any faster on the Zipps...probably not. I just find that it is nice to have similar wheels for multiple bikes. Assuming your Easton's are aluminum clinchers, that would mean dealing with different brake pads, different tires, etc. Why not have have the Reynolds that you will enjoy for both bikes and streamline the maintenance issues. Also if you have a flat on one of the Reynolds, you can just use the other Reynolds and not be without for a couple of days while a new tire is being put on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you didn't ask this question per se. But I think a better option then a set of 404s would either be the firecrest mentioned above(they're about an 808) or a 404 front 808 rear. This is my only race wheelset and the reason my coach suggested I go with them is that they're very versatile. I should be able to use them in all conditions, and I think my total cost was 1400. Then I would do what jack mott suggested and get a disc cover for the rear. Now you basically have a disc wheel for when the conditions are pristine, and an 808 for when conditions are not perfect. That is just what I would recommend.
Quote Reply
Re: $1800 wheel budget. 2 Options. What would you do? [MSantos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with your logic BUT, swapping out wheels does involve swapping brake pads, sometimes swapping cassettes, and generally having to screw around for 10 minutes when the sun is setting after work and all I want to do is ride.

That said, I've ridden Zipps numerous times and love them. Never been on Reynolds.

PS I'm a member of the "if you buy good equipment, you should use it" crowd. They wouldn't be for race day only.
Quote Reply
Re: $1800 wheel budget. 2 Options. What would you do? [cjathey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hear me now believe me later

next time there is a horrific wind outside, put a disc on and go ride around

report back

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I agree with your logic BUT, swapping out wheels does involve swapping brake pads, sometimes swapping cassettes, and generally having to screw around for 10 minutes when the sun is setting after work and all I want to do is ride.

That said, I've ridden Zipps numerous times and love them. Never been on Reynolds.

PS I'm a member of the "if you buy good equipment, you should use it" crowd. They wouldn't be for race day only. "

Exactly
Reynolds are a good wheel and bombproof - will a Zipp make you faster - no
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you really need to use race wheels for both bikes on a regular basis? I'd think the only time you'd really swap them out is pre-race, unless you constantly crave a different wheel/bike combination. Otherwise I'd have 1 with race and the other with beatdown wheels. I personally don't think it's worth the extra $900 for a second DV3K. That amount can go a long way. But that's just me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question.. Do you own a power meter?? If not, your money would be better spent buying one, training with it and getting your speed there..
Quote Reply
Re: $1800 wheel budget. 2 Options. What would you do? [jbsurfin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I do have a PT hub which I'll have laced into whichever wheelset I buy.
Quote Reply
Re: $1800 wheel budget. 2 Options. What would you do? [jbsurfin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are thinking about wheels, I would look into the HED H3. You should be able to find a set in your price range. They will be more aero than the Zipps. One of the most aero wheels all around!!!

---------------------------
http://www.o-block.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipps, hands down.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Aralo [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to give the obligatory mention:

consider http://www.flocycling.com

much less expensive wheels.

-------------------------------------

thanks,

Aluminum Man
Quote Reply
Re: $1800 wheel budget. 2 Options. What would you do? [Aluminum Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've thought about FLO, but they don't really exist yet.
Last edited by: Iron Buckeye: Feb 2, 12 11:48
Quote Reply
Re: $1800 wheel budget. 2 Options. What would you do? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
hear me now believe me later

next time there is a horrific wind outside, put a disc on and go ride around

report back

I'll vouch for this. You gave me the same advice on discs a while back, and I find an 80mm in the front to be a bit tricky to handle in strong, gusty crosswinds, but the rear disc has never been a problem.

--
Those who are slower than me suck.
Those who are faster than me dope
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought never used 2011 Zipp 808FC for $1800... in the classifieds.

--
MyGearGarage - Track all your gear!
Quote Reply
Re: $1800 wheel budget. 2 Options. What would you do? [Aluminum Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aluminum Man wrote:
I'm going to give the obligatory mention:

consider http://www.flocycling.com

much less expensive wheels.

They should be inexpensive, given that they don't exist.

FLO cycling wheels, along with Garmin Vector pedals and the Shimano 11-speed group set - what a combo, eh?

--
Those who are slower than me suck.
Those who are faster than me dope
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put $$ in ROTH IRA. Train more, retire earlier.

( :
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iron Buckeye wrote:
Note: I have two bikes with OEM Easton wheels. Both are ridden with pretty much equal frequency.

Would you buy one set of 2010 Zipp 404's or two sets of Reynolds DV3K's? Put another way, are the Zipps really 2x better?

(PS, I'm not blazing fast, although the aero advantages are of interest, the ride quality of carbon wheels is just as relevant to me).

Discuss...

9/10 in the trollmeter. Well done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PS, I'm not blazing fast, although the aero advantages are of interest, the ride quality of carbon wheels is just as relevant to me

Team in training donation/fee doesn't cover Zipps?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HED Jets are a good option. Ironically, I may be selling mine soon. 2009 HED JEt 9 rear and HED Jet 6 front. They only have about 600 miles on them. I'll probably sell them for $1400. Send me a message if interested but I'm not sure if I'm selling them yet.
Quote Reply
Re: $1800 wheel budget. 2 Options. What would you do? [haole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny, but I don't wear purple.
Quote Reply

Prev Next