Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

$15,000 bike stolen from bike store - Toronto, Canada
Quote | Reply
Doh!


http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/evolution-cycles-hopes-facebook-can-id-thieves-who-stole-15k-road-bike-1.3128551




Quote Reply
Re: $15,000 bike stolen from bike store - Toronto, Canada [ptakeda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ouch...that's gotta hurt a little! My guess is he would have to move that to another city to try and sell it now as everyone in the GTA would probably know about it soon.

----
Quote Reply
Re: $15,000 bike stolen from bike store - Toronto, Canada [ptakeda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually I plan on stripping off the paint and doing a custom paint job to stay low key while on my new steed! Ok busted it wasn't me but these two have brass balls to try and pull this off. I hope they are cursed with a lifetime of flats, improper shifting and tire failures!

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: $15,000 bike stolen from bike store - Toronto, Canada [ptakeda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ballsy! But cant be long before cops track this guy down.....the dummy is standing there looking right into a camera.



.
Quote Reply
Re: $15,000 bike stolen from bike store - Toronto, Canada [ptakeda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Four guys made off with three (much less valuable) bikes in a similar way at my LBS. One guys comes in and starts being loud and taking things off shelves to successfully distract all the employes while the other three just grabbed bikes and ran. Turns out there is legally very little you can personally do to stop someone once they run out the door and tracking down bike thieves is very low down the agenda of police agencies. Now all bikes by the door are locked to a rack.
Quote Reply
Re: $15,000 bike stolen from bike store - Toronto, Canada [ptakeda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Red flag if you walk in with clip in shoes already like your poised to make a quick escape.

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Quote Reply
Re: $15,000 bike stolen from bike store - Toronto, Canada [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This has gone on for long enough. I'm for exploding seats that take off a nut or two. That'll teach the guy a lesson!

Better yet, why has someone not invented a lock that sounds an alarm when its cut. When the circuit is broken, the lock has an alarm unit that goes off. Better yet, it can also trigger a mini wifi/remote alarm inside the seat tube so that the guy riding/running off can be identified and chased down... so that people can kick the crap out of him.
Quote Reply
Re: $15,000 bike stolen from bike store - Toronto, Canada [talegater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
talegater wrote:
This has gone on for long enough. I'm for exploding seats that take off a nut or two. That'll teach the guy a lesson!

Better yet, why has someone not invented a lock that sounds an alarm when its cut. When the circuit is broken, the lock has an alarm unit that goes off. Better yet, it can also trigger a mini wifi/remote alarm inside the seat tube so that the guy riding/running off can be identified and chased down... so that people can kick the crap out of him.


So I just made a trip to my patent lawyer...and this awesome idea is in the works.
Quote Reply
Re: $15,000 bike stolen from bike store - Toronto, Canada [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
Four guys made off with three (much less valuable) bikes in a similar way at my LBS. One guys comes in and starts being loud and taking things off shelves to successfully distract all the employes while the other three just grabbed bikes and ran. Turns out there is legally very little you can personally do to stop someone once they run out the door and tracking down bike thieves is very low down the agenda of police agencies. Now all bikes by the door are locked to a rack.

No doubt. The closest item to the door was the unsecured 15K bike. OOPS!
Quote Reply
Re: $15,000 bike stolen from bike store - Toronto, Canada [Triagain2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't really have to be a lock. It could just be one of those tether cables like they have on cameras/electronics that are on display in Best Buy, etc. If you try to disconnect them improperly, they sound an alarm. The technology already exists. They would, however, be a royal pain in the arse for legitimate shoppers trying to check out a potential new bike.

===
"I eased off a bit. It never feels like you are easing off. More like you just stake out your place in the pain cave and sit there rather than venturing deeper inside..." -- Rappstar
Quote Reply
Re: $15,000 bike stolen from bike store - Toronto, Canada [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A revolving door may deter this kind of theft with all sold bikes leaving through a back door.
Quote Reply
Re: $15,000 bike stolen from bike store - Toronto, Canada [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poor judgment on the bike shop for having such a high valued item not secured so close to the door. This is retail 101 and just common sense.

I hope that the shop learns from this mistake and I hope they catch the a$$hole that stole the bike.

AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Quote Reply
Re: $15,000 bike stolen from bike store - Toronto, Canada [talegater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
talegater wrote:
Better yet, why has someone not invented a lock that sounds an alarm when its cut. When the circuit is broken, the lock has an alarm unit that goes off. Better yet, it can also trigger a mini wifi/remote alarm inside the seat tube so that the guy riding/running off can be identified and chased down... so that people can kick the crap out of him.
That's actually a pretty good idea! I wonder if you could connect it in with electronic shifting bikes and have an automatic brake that clamps down on a wheel so it can't be rolled away?

----
Quote Reply
Re: $15,000 bike stolen from bike store - Toronto, Canada [Triagain2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triagain2 wrote:
talegater wrote:
This has gone on for long enough. I'm for exploding seats that take off a nut or two. That'll teach the guy a lesson!

Better yet, why has someone not invented a lock that sounds an alarm when its cut. When the circuit is broken, the lock has an alarm unit that goes off. Better yet, it can also trigger a mini wifi/remote alarm inside the seat tube so that the guy riding/running off can be identified and chased down... so that people can kick the crap out of him.



So I just made a trip to my patent lawyer...and this awesome idea is in the works.


I'll be an angel investor!

Lets set up a crowd funding website!

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: $15,000 bike stolen from bike store - Toronto, Canada [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
scott8888 wrote:
Four guys made off with three (much less valuable) bikes in a similar way at my LBS. One guys comes in and starts being loud and taking things off shelves to successfully distract all the employes while the other three just grabbed bikes and ran. Turns out there is legally very little you can personally do to stop someone once they run out the door and tracking down bike thieves is very low down the agenda of police agencies. Now all bikes by the door are locked to a rack.

No doubt. The closest item to the door was the unsecured 15K bike. OOPS!

A little too convenient...?
Quote Reply
Re: $15,000 bike stolen from bike store - Toronto, Canada [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
zed707 wrote:
scott8888 wrote:
Four guys made off with three (much less valuable) bikes in a similar way at my LBS. One guys comes in and starts being loud and taking things off shelves to successfully distract all the employes while the other three just grabbed bikes and ran. Turns out there is legally very little you can personally do to stop someone once they run out the door and tracking down bike thieves is very low down the agenda of police agencies. Now all bikes by the door are locked to a rack.


No doubt. The closest item to the door was the unsecured 15K bike. OOPS!


A little too convenient...?

Exactly. If I was the insurance claims adjuster I'd look long and hard at this one.
Quote Reply
Re: $15,000 bike stolen from bike store - Toronto, Canada [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the LBS near me has a 10k-plus Moots in a line of about 10 bikes staggered diagonally (think car parking lot style) near the entrance, with the most expensive bikes closest to the entrance (the Moots was about 3 feet from the door). Last time I was in there my (admittedly klutzy) eight year old bumped it and nearly toppled the whole lot. WTF? Why would you do that? I thought it was odd, but I'm not a retailer.
Quote Reply
Re: $15,000 bike stolen from bike store - Toronto, Canada [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few years back, the packet pick-up for a local tri was held on a Friday night at a large bike shop. When the guys closed for the night, they noticed they were missing a high-end Trek Madone from the floor. It was not in the computer as a sale. Guess where it showed up? That's right! It was on the rack in the transition area for the race the next morning! College-aged guy had a never-ending list of stories that kept changing. Five-O finally cuffed him and put in the squad car. The guys from the bike shop (who very volunteering as mechanical support for the race) got to take the bike back to the shop. They thief was from about 150 miles away. Brass ones, indeed!

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Re: $15,000 bike stolen from bike store - Toronto, Canada [Triagain2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your going to build the exploding seat???!! Let's put this up on kickstarted. I want royalties.

Let's do the alarm thing too! Dibs on royalty as well.
Quote Reply
Re: $15,000 bike stolen from bike store - Toronto, Canada [sscott43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the hopes that some 8 yr old would topple the whole lot and you can stick someone with the bill would be my guess.
Quote Reply