Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"weight gain" after longer than usual workouts
Quote | Reply
Anyone else here notice that they "gain weight" after longer than usual runs/rides or training weekends? It is not just the bloating in the stomach, which does look like i consumed a feast for 10 after a longer run/ride (despite the fact that I don't "treat" myself with a crazy amount of food after the training), but I find that my legs and arms also feel "bigger"/bloated...
Quote Reply
Re: "weight gain" after longer than usual workouts [RunnerChik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RunnerChik wrote:
Anyone else here notice that they "gain weight" after longer than usual runs/rides or training weekends? It is not just the bloating in the stomach, which does look like i consumed a feast for 10 after a longer run/ride (despite the fact that I don't "treat" myself with a crazy amount of food after the training), but I find that my legs and arms also feel "bigger"/bloated...

Water retention. It's normal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I seem to gain weight every long bike long run weekend and then fight to get it down by the next weekend. It does seem like water more than anything
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
water retention, inflammation that causes your muscles to swell from training. All very necessary for improvement in performance.
Quote Reply
Re: "weight gain" after longer than usual workouts [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
RunnerChik wrote:

Water retention. It's normal

Yep. You're finishing your workout and loading in the carbs probably all day. Your body absorbs the carbs and with it it absorbs water. Thus weight goes up!

This is why when you toe the line for a marathon/ironman, etc, if you've properly carbloaded over the past 48-72 hours you might be a little heavier on the scale because as you've maxed your carb storage, you're holding water, which is a good thing.

Nothing to worry about!

The Home of Advanced Running
Advanced Running Instagram Page
My narcisstic training log
Quote Reply
Re: "weight gain" after longer than usual workouts [justarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fatty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for what its worth Ill typically weigh 3-5 lbs more the morning after a long triathlon race - the most pronounced place where you can see it is in my lower legs - but I think prior responder hit it right - all water gain - usually by the end of the week it works itself off and Im down a pund or two - the alternative is a massage that spends a bit of time massaging the lymph nodes to help them move the excess water out - works for me - Im +60 age grouper so could be an age thing too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Water gain; happens to lots of people:

https://twitter.com/...s/123860786438352897

#cankles

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: "weight gain" after longer than usual workouts [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing the same thing, I secretly hoped it was muscle but thought it was Oreos. Now I know it's water, for sure not the massive amount of Oreos.
Quote Reply