Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by The Committee [ In reply to ]
Post deleted by The Committee [ In reply to ]
Re: "wall-sits" [Janice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keyword on that sentence was obnoxious, not knowledgable ;)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: "wall-sits" [Janice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is not dumb at all, it is simply a statement of fact: during 2 minutes of all-out exercise, the majority of ATP is generated aerobically, not anaerobically. That it takes more than half the total time for aerobic energy production to exceed anaerobic energy production is a different question entirely, one relating to the kinetics of the two (three) systems, not their capacities.

The article you cited as support only described times, unless there was more info on the kinetics in the body of the paper. So whether or not the statement above is true, your reference doesn't support the claim.

BTW, 75/120 = 0.625, not 0.675.

Good point. It's close enough for government work.

Janice wrote: but since The Chameleon nom de plume was chosen to reflect that very fact, how can it be considered foreshadowing?

The preceeding names could have just been outward signs of schizothymia. Names after The Chameleon was loosed, perhaps, are examples of foreshadowing.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: "wall-sits" [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She is after all a professional and has an obligation to her clients to get things right. And it's not like this is really complicated stuff.

Exactly what was I not getting right? I would really like to know.

I for one I'm tired of seeing repeated over and over the (very) old theories of the "timing" of the different energy systems, as well as the percentages of anaerobic vs aerobic energy utilization for a given exercise.

Are you referring to my comment that the first couple minutes are anaerobic? And are you inferring that is incorrect based on studies finding a larger aerobic componet than traditionally thought? Because, if so, from what I have read (and I am not saying I know everything, but I would love to be corrected with some sort of proof rather than just "she's wrong") the testing results that showed a higher aerobic component in early activity may have been due to warm-up activity before the testing.

-----------------------------------------------
maylene jackson, cscs
http://www.kidsintraining.org
Quote Reply
Re: "wall-sits" [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding the comment about strength training being a waste of time I disagree. If you only train on the bike you will end up with issues from weak muscles that are under utilized. All athletes benefit from strength training to balance things out. Yoga is even a form of strength training. If all you do is ride you will be more likely to end up with injuries from over use of certain muscles and joints.
Quote Reply
Re: "wall-sits" [tomrob36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Worthy of a re-read of an 8 yr old thread Tomrob36. Would've liked to have seen comments from The Committee too, but blanked out.
Just able to come back to some riding after a couple of years and holy crap the weakness in the muscles of the abductors are wreaking havoc. So this thread was of interest to me, glad you resurrected.

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: "wall-sits" [Twilkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twilkas wrote:
Worthy of a re-read of an 8 yr old thread Tomrob36. Would've liked to have seen comments from The Committee too, but blanked out.
Just able to come back to some riding after a couple of years and holy crap the weakness in the muscles of the abductors are wreaking havoc. So this thread was of interest to me, glad you resurrected.

18, not 8. ðŸ˜

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: "wall-sits" [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Twilkas wrote:

18, not 8. ðŸ˜

New Leader for "Zombie Thread of the Year"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: "wall-sits" [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strength training is also about self respect. I knew it was time to hit the weights when I had to start asking others to pump up my tires pre-race.
Last edited by: Scott_B: Apr 8, 22 5:52
Quote Reply
Re: "wall-sits" [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aztec died 7 years ago at the age of 79
Quote Reply
Re: "wall-sits" [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. I didn't know that, or if I did, it has long been forgotten. RIP aztec

I am in a big believer in strength training as a quality of life choice, and potential to decrease injury from s/b/r. This becomes more important as we age.
Quote Reply
Re: "wall-sits" [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott_B wrote:
Wow. I didn't know that, or if I did, it has long been forgotten. RIP aztec

I am in a big believer in strength training as a quality of life choice, and potential to decrease injury from s/b/r. This becomes more important as we age.

I really wish I would have figured this out earlier. I've been benched for about 6 weeks because of ITBS that was made much worse by continued cycling and running. Ended up pulling it away from the bone in a few places. Two weeks ago I had cortisone, and this morning was the PRP treatment. Good lord are my abductors weak and my hamstrings tight. PT should get me back up and running again, but I really wish I would have kept up with the hip and leg exercises as I got older.
Quote Reply
Re: "wall-sits" [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super excited to see a new thread about wall sits - 100+ posts! - only to discover that a) it's from 2004 and b) it's not about wall sits.

RIP Aztec.
Quote Reply
Re: "wall-sits" [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My apparently not funny joke was to point out that Aztec made that post 18 years ago.
Quote Reply

Prev Next