Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"restrarting" your stomach after a hot weather shutdown
Quote | Reply
Went up to Madison (Verona, actually) this past weekend to do the loop part of the IM course (twice). Definitely tough, and I could see how it would be a crusher in the heat (or cold rain...). At around mile 65, I started to get the familiar lack of desire to eat. We went into a gas station to fill up on water, and I drank a bunch (quart plus) of ice-cold water. At first, I felt like it was too much, but then big-time hunger hit. In the last 15 miles of the ride, I ate 2 clif bars and a gel, and felt great again.

Has a good amount cold water helped any of you to "restart" the digestive process? It seems like heat can really shut down the stomach. Any other advice to restart the stomach if it does shut down? I've never had it happen before (even when I don't feel like it, I can eat, and gels/liquid never bother me), but want to have a contingency plan in place- my first IM, and it appears that things can really go haywire at 6+ hours. I plan on doing some 7+ hour training days, just to see what my body does, and practice this if needed.

Thanks!

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: "restrarting" your stomach after a hot weather shutdown [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your stomach is shut down I think you should slow down your pace for a while and maybe sip only water. I needed to spend some time in the med tent after my race this past weekend and the medic said you should never drink ice cold beverages during a race (or during your immediate post-race recovery) because it's very hard on the stomach and can cause shut down. I'm not sure if that's true or not but that's what she said.
Quote Reply
Re: "restrarting" your stomach after a hot weather shutdown [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have to be careful with this. Basically what you did was anaesthetize the branch of the vagus nerve that runs along the eosophagus down toward the stomach. The modification of this signal does change how the stomach feels about taking in food. However, you were probably lucky in that you stopped at a gas station, and allowed everything else in your physiology to slow down. Trying to do this while exercising continuously can cause all sorts of problems, since the same nerve also innervates the diaphragm, and can cause peristaltic contractions in the GI system, leading to rather severe cramping and discomfort.

If your body can tolerate it and you can take the 10 minutes or so to stop, you will probably be OK, but I wouldn't recommend trying to fit it in while maintaining a high level of activity. Even there, I would give yourself a couple of minutes before taking in anything ice cold.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: "restrarting" your stomach after a hot weather shutdown [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good info, thanks! I did feel a bit overfull, not quite a stomach cramp, for 10 minutes after drinking the water. So just regular temp. water to keep the stomach rolling along. This is the kind of stuff that makes me worry a bit- the things you just don't learn in a shorter distance, and have to experience to get. Sounds like pacing vs. outside temperature is a key factor!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have heard of folks getting rid of whatever is in their stomach at the time and they swear it makes them feel 100% better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well if you want the further gotcha - the same effect of cold water numbing the vagus also will create the illusion of satisying thirst before you actually consume enough water to do that. So in general, cool to luke warm fluids are what you should take in. That way when you get enough to quench your thirst, you probably have. Both hot and ice cold mess with this signaling. Now given we train ourselves to keep a more constant intake, this shouldn't really be an issue, but if you are taking in large quantities, be advised.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: "restrarting" your stomach after a hot weather shutdown [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
now thats hateful LOL!

Even in my beer and sketchy women days, now 7-8+ years ago, I never puked- perhaps my only natural ability that makes me suited to long distance racing is a stomach that will tolerate anything. I just don't want to find my digestive limit and not be able to get it back at mile 80 of the bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a very similar experience the other day. Replace "a bunch (quart plus) of ice-cold water" with "a can of Redbull" and you will have my story.

Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I've been fortunate enough not to have firsthand experience with that to date, I understand that bananas work very well for settling the stomach and turning things around.

I've heard good things about puking too, but I'd rather eat a banana. :-p

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: "restrarting" your stomach after a hot weather shutdown [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Jrisosa and All,

Also on the subject of the Vagus nerve my brother passed out and broke his cheekbone on the toilet while taking a piss one night.

(Maybe he was just drunk and made up this Vagus stuff) He said his doctor told him:

If your bladder is very full for a long time - when you empty it you can have a short blackout because of physical pressure change on the Vagus nerve.

He was lucky it wasn't a dark night on the boat or he would be history. (if he wasn't tethered)

Cheers,

Neal

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Last edited by: nealhe: Jul 11, 07 14:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was there last weekend too. That 95° on Saturday was plenty hot.

I found that using Enduralytes emptied my stomach quite well.

I took two just befor getting water at the Fireman's park and downed a bottle and a half of water there. It was out of my stomach in about 20 minutes and I was able to drink more.

I did the same thing after the second loop and it worked just as well.

jaretj
Quote Reply