Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"greater trochanter" confusion.
Quote | Reply
From Slowmans article on fitting.

"We then measure to the greater trochanter (bony protrusion on the side of the hip), and to the maleolus (bony protrusion of the ankle)."

The greater trochanter is actually part of the femur not the hip. Are we talking about the same thing? I'm assuming "Hip" above just means the "hip area" and not actually the boney protrusion of the hip.

Or am I in the completely wrong area?

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: "greater trochanter" confusion. [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The hip is a joint composed of the acetabulum and the femur just like the knee is a joint composed of the tibia femur and the patella (I know it is a sesamoid in case anyone decides to jump on that), but in essence the trochanter is just a part of the femur 'at the level of the hip joint'. Purely semantics in any event with regard to this discussion.

Quote | Reply
i understood about 8 words in that reply, damn I'm stupid.................
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The maleoulus is on the fibula, isn't it? And yes, the trochanter is part of the femur.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: "greater trochanter" confusion. [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a medial malleolus and a lateral malleolus (one for the tibia and one for the fibula) and yes they are part of the ankle joint.

Quote | Reply
:)

I'm in an anatomy and physiology class right now, but we did the skeletal stuff before spring break. Yay for remembering some of it!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: "greater trochanter" confusion. [Dr. Doom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok I must be confused then...so here's a picture.

Is Slowman talking abot the bump on the top, what I'm calling the hip or the bump on the bottom what I understand to be the greater trochanter. Both are distinctly different bumps on my "hip".

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bottom bump is the Greater Trochanter, the top one is the iliac crest.

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The top arrow most likely pertains to the iliac crest, as the good Lt. states. It may also pertain to the anterior superior iliac spine (ASIS), which can be found as you move your hand slightly anterior and inferior to the iliac crest.

Both may be used as positioning landmarks for the pelvis. The significance of the greater trochanter is that it lies directly lateral to the center of the hip joint itself - i.e., where the femoral head meets the acetabulum.

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The greater trochanter is actually part of the femur not the hip"

if i said it's the "lateral bony protrusion of the femur, near it's origin," it would be fine if precision was the goal. but it would be less descriptive of what i want to do -- identify the point in question. when i say it's the bony protrusion on the side of the hip, people have no trouble identifying it.

the iliac crest, yes, that's a bony protrusion, but you can't easily palpate a simple point on the crest unless you're no longer talking about a point on the side (lateral), and that's REALLY a problematic palpation when you're on a bike in the aero position.

bony protrusion of the hip seems the best way to get people to find the greater trochanter.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply