Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"energy" drinks and side effects
Quote | Reply
this is not really that focused on the usual ST material, but i suspect that a few forum members might have some insights. my stepson has been living on a steady stream of these contemporary teen/young-adult-centric "energy drinks" like monster etc. he typically consumes 2x 40x a day, sometimes more. we're trying to convince him to stop drinking them - they've come to represent a huge chunk of his daily calorie intake, with almost no nutritional content, they suppress his appetite for real food, and so on. well, he's trying it and is feeling pretty wierd. does anyone know if the "active" ingredients in these drinks (like the guanine) are capable of causing problems if you just go cold turkey on them?
Quote Reply
Re: "energy" drinks and side effects [dawhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
this is not really that focused on the usual ST material, but i suspect that a few forum members might have some insights. my stepson has been living on a steady stream of these contemporary teen/young-adult-centric "energy drinks" like monster etc. he typically consumes 2x 40x a day, sometimes more. we're trying to convince him to stop drinking them - they've come to represent a huge chunk of his daily calorie intake, with almost no nutritional content, they suppress his appetite for real food, and so on. well, he's trying it and is feeling pretty wierd. does anyone know if the "active" ingredients in these drinks (like the guanine) are capable of causing problems if you just go cold turkey on them?
I don't know of specific side effects, but the body will get used to the stimulants, and when you go off of them, you will definitely feel different. Kind of like caffeine headaches.

I remember someone a while back that suffered nerve damage as a result of drinking a 12 pack of Dr. Pepper every day for years, did something to the nerve coatings IIRC.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck with this. I teach high school and get sick watching the kids drink these things like they're water. I don't get it, I had one and it was the single worse experience I've had with ANY beverage.
If we look at today's society one thing almost every obese person has in common it's that they drink regular soda. These 'energy' drinks are soda on steroids. I can only imagine what these kids are going to look like in 10 years!
--Sax
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have probably 3 a week, the diet kind. I love 'em, great way to deliver caffeine!!!!!!!

Like everything else, its fine in moderation. Tell him to cut it down slowly and he'll be fine.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Re: "energy" drinks and side effects [saxman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These future kids are going to grow up and think that diet soda is a healthy substitute for their regular soda's. I can't tell you how many people I know that consume multiple liters of diet soda thinking that it will help them lose weight and be healthier. They need to drink some water or at least switch over to Gatorade and get some type of benefit out of what they are drinking.
Quote Reply