Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Winging" a triathlon
Quote | Reply
A little history, I've done plenty of triathlons in the past, all olympic with a few exceptions (Alcatraz), but nothing long-distance. I've done extremely well in these triathlons.

However, (for now) I'm mainly a swimmer (college scholarships aren't available for being a good triathlete sooo..). The last 3-4 weeks have basically been taper/competition, and my swim season has come to an end. I would really just like to take 1-2 weeks off and rewind, buuuuuut..

I have signed up for the Santa Cruz Triathlon this weekend. Now, question is, do I do a little training and go out, risking fatigue, or do I do no training and see what happens. I'm not expecting any PR's (the distances are all screwy anyway), but I wouldn't be too happy if I was MoP/BoP (especially in this small field).

The distances are pretty short, and because of this fairly long taper my body/legs have a lot of speed right now, but endurance has definately faded. I am not out of shape or anything of that sort, however.

-------

Almost died in a car crash. Currently in rehab.
Quote Reply
Re: "Winging" a triathlon [JunK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
A little history, I've done plenty of triathlons in the past, all olympic with a few exceptions (Alcatraz), but nothing long-distance. I've done extremely well in these triathlons.

However, (for now) I'm mainly a swimmer (college scholarships aren't available for being a good triathlete sooo..). The last 3-4 weeks have basically been taper/competition, and my swim season has come to an end. I would really just like to take 1-2 weeks off and rewind, buuuuuut..

I have signed up for the Santa Cruz Triathlon this weekend. Now, question is, do I do a little training and go out, risking fatigue, or do I do no training and see what happens. I'm not expecting any PR's (the distances are all screwy anyway), but I wouldn't be too happy if I was MoP/BoP (especially in this small field).

The distances are pretty short, and because of this fairly long taper my body/legs have a lot of speed right now, but endurance has definately faded. I am not out of shape or anything of that sort, however.
I've tried both (in fact, I race that way almost exclusively :-), I've done Ironman with a little training and a sprint with no training, and I by far preferred the former. Of course sprints are supposed to hurt more anyway, but this was particularly painful and humiliating. I don't think I will ever wing one like that again.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sandman? in 4 days? there ain't nothing you can do about it now. best just relax. go for a easy swim/jog/bike to keep your spirits up mentally and loosen the joints.
Quote Reply
Re: "Winging" a triathlon [acronym] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My whole season has been "winging it". I run mainly sprints, but this year I am doing a lot more road racing. Tri's are just on the back burner for me and this will probably be my last year for a while. I'm doing like 8-10 hours a week on the bike and haven't swam or ran since my last tri a month ago. Even before that, I'd guess I have maybe 50 miles of running this YEAR.

That being said, I have a 4th and a 2nd in my AG with both being in the top 20% on overall. That's not really much lower than last year. So really, winging it has been working for me.

3-4 days from the race, there's really nothing you can do to get in shape. Just make a few decent rides and runs and have fun.

Last edited by: cslone: Aug 2, 06 10:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
go crush them on the swim and go as hard as you can on the bike, then bonk on the run! thats always fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to do this when I was a college swimmer. Your cardiovascular will hold up fine, but your legs will probably tire out. I would not do a bunch of hard training as you will just make your legs sore. A few bike rides to get the rhythm and a few SHORT jogs to get the feel of the road.

Do expect to have really sore legs the day or two after the race since you haven't been using those muscles in that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if winging it seems to be plural, in the past tense would you say, i wung a race?

so, that being said, i wung a half IM off of sprint training and got 2nd in my AG, and the sprint training was skimpy on the run (8 miles/week) and i had not swam in 5 weeks leading up to it.
and it was my 3rd race ever, so no experince.

you'll be fine

Quote Reply
Re: "Winging" a triathlon [dvfmfidc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
go crush them on the swim and go as hard as you can on the bike, then bonk on the run! thats always fun!
Pretty much described my races to a T. Just do it, you'll live.
Quote Reply
Re: "Winging" a triathlon [newbz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also did some wunging this season, especially at the boulder peak. I was in decent shape at the end of may and then I stepped on a nail. I was on my back for a week, crutches for two more, then hobbled for a while after that. Because of that I had only ran 4 times (3 miles each) in the six weeks leading up to the race. I also only swam 4 times this summer up to the race because earlier I was focusing on bike/run. Now I don't know how some of these freaks place in their age group after that (I was mop b/c of it) but I finished ok and had fun...fwiw. ;)

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doing any form of real training now will only slow you down. If this is Sandman, there will be some speedy guys and gals there what I recall from last year. Swim was about a 1,000 or so in the ocean around the cement ship, bike pretty mellow, few bumps in the Aptos hills, run all on the beach with a good stair climb up the bluff.

----------------------------------------
I ride a Cervelo...get over it....
Quote Reply