Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"VIP" entry fee for Cleveland triathlon?
Quote | Reply

I live in Cleveland. One of the best races in my area last year was Cleveland triathlon. A new type of entry is available this year, the "VIP" entry. For $30, you can get same-day check-in and priority placement on the bike racks:

**VIP Option (new for 2007) add $30 to any registration. For $30, your race numbers, timing chip, swim cap, goody bag and t-shirt will be ready for your pick-up on race morning. Pre-race check in on Saturday is not mandatory. Check-in on race morning at a special VIP area where you will sign a waiver and pick up your race materials. VIP participants will also have reserved bike racks in the transition area and will receive a $10 merchandise gift certificate. You can choose the VIP option during the online registration process.

(from: http://www.pacificsportsllc.com/cleveland/athlete.html)

So my question is: Is this fair? Also, since this race is not USAT-sanctioned, does the race organizer have no one to answer to?

-------------------------------------------------------
Alright, when I say your name, you say 'here.' And we will assume 'here' is short for 'here I am...rock you like a hurricane.
~Ignignokt
Last edited by: Tough TTs: Mar 20, 07 14:53
Quote Reply
Re: "VIP" entry fee for Cleveland triathlon? [Tough TTs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is it unfair? Who would he answer to?

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the VIP racks put them at an advantage (i.e. not a fair transition for others), I'd be pissed. Other than that, assuming that they didn't allow race morning packet pick-up in the past for everyone, I don't have a problem with it.
Quote Reply
Re: "VIP" entry fee for Cleveland triathlon? [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year, race day packet pickup was allowed.

Alright, when I say your name, you say 'here.' And we will assume 'here' is short for 'here I am...rock you like a hurricane.
~Ignignokt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are they not allowing race day pickup for anyone else then? That's pretty crappy if that's the change.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No race-day packet pickup for people that didn't pay the extra $30:

Online registration is now open. You can also download an entry form from this site, which will be posted shortly. The last day to register for the race will be on Saturday (the day before the race) at the expo/packet pick-up at the Hilton Garden Inn. There wiil be no race day registration or packet pick-up so you must come by the expo on Saturday to register or pick up your packet. At the expo, there will be triathlon merchandise retailers, food sampling, nutrition related vendors and much more.

(from: http://www.pacificsportsllc.com/cleveland/athlete.html)

~Ignignokt
Last edited by: Tough TTs: Mar 20, 07 15:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Are they not allowing race day pickup for anyone else then? That's pretty crappy if that's the change.
It's put on by Pacificsports. My experience is that that organization is not very good and charges very high fees. this is not a surprise for them.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
troll
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a few races where race day packet pickup costs $$. I was told this is because they are actually trying to avoid having a lot of people wait until race day to get thier packets, then the volunteers can be used for something else. It's a convenience charge that's all. Just slightly differeint label. Depending on how far people are when they are traveling to the race, it might be worth it for them
Quote Reply
Re: "VIP" entry fee for Cleveland triathlon? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems unfair to me because you pay for an advantage (priority rack position). What is the point of competition if you can pay for an advantage?

Maybe next year, for 200 dollars you'll be allowed to draft. Maybe you'll have to pay an extra $50 for water on the run course. So if you can't pay, you can't have water. Why not?

~Ignignokt
Quote Reply
Re: "VIP" entry fee for Cleveland triathlon? [IM2B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see your point, but the bigger issue in my mind is paying for priority rack position.

~Ignignokt
Quote Reply
Re: "VIP" entry fee for Cleveland triathlon? [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should remember that I have information about a particular cleat screw incident that could be VERY embarassing for you. ;)

~Ignignokt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Maybe next year, for 200 dollars you'll be allowed to draft.
I think it costs $205 (70.3 Championship race fee) if you want to draft.
Last edited by: Tri_yoda: Mar 20, 07 16:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe they are trying to raise enough funds to afford at least one aid station on the bike ; )
Quote Reply
Re: "VIP" entry fee for Cleveland triathlon? [csviking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, or enough money so that the Oly bike course isn't a 3 loop out and back on the shoreway. Seriously, this has to be the most overpriced tri in the country already. I highly doubt the "VIP" rack is going to be very well attended...

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: "VIP" entry fee for Cleveland triathlon? [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The current status of this race is a shame compared to what was once a huge venue for the sport. Sorry for ranting, not usually my style but this was such a disappointment last year.

Jodi, btw, nice job at camp. You posted some big numbers. Looking forward to seeing you fly at CdA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, I'm done with this race too. It's unfortunate that this is the only triathlon held in the city of Cleveland. At least I'm not aware of another.

~Ignignokt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I see your point, but the bigger issue in my mind is paying for priority rack position

A properly thought out transition offers no real advantages to any compeititor. that said, in the 6 years of tris I have been participating in, only one race offered a transition of that nature, all th others definitely had a 'pin' end so to speak.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Last edited by: slidecontrol: Mar 20, 07 23:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VIP = very inflated price

I suppose if people want to pay to pick up their stuff at the last minute, that's their perogative. I certainly understand why most races make you pick stuff up in advance -- race day is hectic enough as is. Paying for the privilege seems like a fair compromise between RD and athlete.

But charging a premium for choice transition spots is just lame. Either a) assign spots or b) make it first-come, first serve.

I think that people will vote with their wallets. $30 will get me into a nice road race. Not many people will pay for this.

mm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It seems unfair to me because you pay for an advantage (priority rack position). What is the point of competition if you can pay for an advantage?
Quote:
VIP participants will also have reserved bike racks in the transition area and will receive a $10 merchandise gift certificate.

Uh, Your original post in bold, does not mention a priority rack position simply a reserved rack spot. The one Tri I did if you dropped off your bike the night before it was pre-racked for you not sure if it was an advantage, a priority or reserved.

Oh and is some one in this sport complaining cause you can buy a speed advantage? Hello this is ST. the home of spend your money for a speed advantage.

Really Transition should be set up so that no rack position is an advantage.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Greater Cleveland Triathlon is very close (20 min. east of town) and a great race in August.
Quote Reply
Re: "VIP" entry fee for Cleveland triathlon? [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

You beat me to it. Mickey would be glad to see you speaking highly of his race. The Greater Cleveland Tri is an awesome event. It is well put on and the course is fantastic. It is quickly growing into an event that is not to be missed by anyone. Mickey not only puts on a great event but leads many on site training sessions including a beginners clinic, womens clinic and youth clinic throughout the summer as a ramp up to his event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Greater Cleveland Triathlon is a much better event than the race in downtown Cleveland, better course, better production and it costs less. Mickey does do a great job and this race will keep growing each year! Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt

Not sure how much digging you have done but to say the Cleveland Tri is the only event in Cleveland is not correct

There are quite a few tris in Cleveland - PM me and I will get you a full list - better yet - hit the Cleveland Tri Club website - www.clevetriclub.com

One race in particular - the Greater Cleveland Tri - has sprint, oly and HIM distances this year and is an event you shouldn't miss as a local

we have a calendar on the club website with all the local races uploaded

here is the link

http://www.clevetriclub.com/race-calendar.html

No shortage of races here - and plenty of local triathletes in case you haven't yet discovered our club

Happy to help you out

Andrew Joyce
Cleveland Tri Club President

(Edit - I did not see the responses from CSVIKING and Tom Z before posting this)
Last edited by: AndrewJ: Mar 20, 07 19:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing says 'priority' bike rack. However, you MUST have a reserved bike rack to do this because if you didn't, and everyone else had dropped their bike off the night/day before, you might not have sufficient space to transition.

Extra fee for same day packet pickup/registration? Why not? It's a pain in the butt to do this on race day so requires more staff. If they can hire more staff by having a higher fee for those using that service...

Another way to look at it is do you want to all pay the same fee and subsidize the entry costs for the people who don't want to show until the morning of the race.

Seems like people here get plenty of exercise... just jumping to conclusions.
Quote Reply

Prev Next