Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Try it Out" Near Philadelphia?
Quote | Reply
Frequently, when I see people posting advice on whether to purchase this or that bike, or this or that wetsuit, many ST'ers say, "go to a store and try out a bunch of them to find out what fits / rides best." Well, I'm in the market for a wetsuit and a tri bike, and I'd love to try these out before buying them.

The catch? No one stocks them! I am a 5'4, 112 pound woman. I ride a 50 cm road bike. No shops near me stock tri bikes in that size. As for wetsuits, I don't know any shops at all near me that stock that size. I don't live out in the middle of nowhere -- I live in Philadelphia.

Now, I completely admit that I may just not know where to look around me, but thats where I need help. Does anyone know where I can try out a whole range of different tri bikes in my size? Does anyone know where I can try on wetsuits to find the perfect one? I am willing to drive up to 3 hours away, which would include NYC, Baltimore, DC, and Harrisburg in my search. I just don't want to spend a whole day driving around, only to find out that all of the shops don't even stock things in my size.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: "Try it Out" Near Philadelphia? [redmeeple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.wetsuitrental.com/

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keswick
High Road
Guys
Elite Bicycles
Bucks Country Bikes
Cadence

All these guys stock tri bikes and suits
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought my wetsuit at breakaway bikes a couple years ago when i still lived in Philly. (19th and chestnut) I havent been to the store for some time now, as i dont live in Philly anymore so im not sure if they still carry them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the same issue before - I'm a 5'3", 113lbs woman and ride a 48 tri and road bike.

Regarding the wetsuit - rent one first in the size you think you'll need. There are a lot of places out there that rent wetsuits, I've used: http://www.wetsuitrental.com/ and http://tribonzai.com/...uit-rental-pg168.htm. Then once you've found the brand/size you like you can order it online or in a local shop if they have it.

Regarding the bikes, you need to call around the various shops and see what bikes and sizes they have in stock before you hit the road - for the most part they know what they have and can give you a quick answer as to whether they have your size available for a test ride. If you have an idea of what brands you are interested in then go to their main websites, look up the dealers in your area and give them a call to see what sizes they have. If you've never ridden a tri bike you may also want to go to a shop so they can take your measurements and see what bikes will even be a good option for your specific measurements/torso-leg proportions... also just because your ride a 50 in a road bike doesn't mean you'll ride the same size for a tri bike.

Hope that helps out!

Elisha
"Triathlon doesn't build character. It reveals it."
Quote Reply
Re: "Try it Out" Near Philadelphia? [sharad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Keswick
High Road
Guys
Elite Bicycles
Bucks Country Bikes
Cadence

All these guys stock tri bikes and suits

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I could have been a little more clear, in that I do want to try a variety of tri bikes, as opposed to just saying, "well, Cannondale Slice looks good, so I'll go buy that." Sadly, most of these shops only carry Cannondale, Cervelo, and Specialized. The lead to Guy's tho does help, as they carry Felt, and after a phone call with them, they may get in a bike in my size without me having to put a deposit on it. I'd like to find shops that stock Kestrel and Jamis who also will offer me that.

The huge issue I'm having is that everyone wants me to put down a $1k or more deposit on a bike in order for them to get it in for me to try out. If I do not like the bike, or if it isn't the right fit, they'll give me the money back in the form of store credit. Well, that would work great if I could find a shop that carries every single line of bicycles, but that isn't the case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you go to Elite, David G will build you a bike that will fit you like a glove. I would definitely suggest giving him a call. He's on South St. around 22nd. elitebicycles.com

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about going to one of these places and getting fitted and then see what bikes fit you. Sadly not all bikes that you might like will fit you. Try Cadence for the fitting.

Another shop not mentioned earlier is Cycles Bikyle in Bryn Mawr. They've been around for quite a while and work with a lot of pros in the area (as does Cadence) so they know about bikes. I have not bought a bike there so can not tell you about their service but they stock Pegoretti, Pinarello, Merckx, Merlin, Look among others.

Andy
Quote Reply
Re: "Try it Out" Near Philadelphia? [attybiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the also carry Cervelo.
Quote Reply
Re: "Try it Out" Near Philadelphia? [attybiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Another shop not mentioned earlier is Cycles Bikyle in Bryn Mawr. They've been around for quite a while and work with a lot of pros in the area (as does Cadence) so they know about bikes. I have not bought a bike there so can not tell you about their service but they stock Pegoretti, Pinarello, Merckx, Merlin, Look among others.

Andy

I have bought a bike from there, so I can tell you about their service: it SUCKS. Nothing quite like dropping 2K, just to get insulted by people who work there.
I really like Cadence, but for the OP, yes, I can see the issue. There are a lot of shops out there carrying bikes in your size (roughly the same size as my gf), but tri bikes? that I don't know. Not that many places around sell tri bikes, or at least they don't sell more than a few. There are places up in Manhattan that sell them, but does it count as 'trying it out' if you have to ride it in Manhattan? and then, if you need to get somethign fixed that should be under warranty, back to Manhattan?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't work that way, no shop can carry all brands. My suggestion, visit David @ Elite, get measured and determine what bike(s) fit best. Even if it's not an Elite, David will tell you.

Love to get you on a Kestrel, you can try Highroad in Wayne or Breakaway in Philly and Buckscountybikes.

Hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't bother with Harrisburg. No wetsuits here and tribikes in stock are very limited. They cater more to roadies.

18x Ironman, 3x Hawaii
US Army (Ret.), Vietnam Vet ('71-'72)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I have worked with one of the best bike fitters in the Tri-state area and currently work in a bicycle shop that sells Kestrel,
Scott, Felt, Fuji, Giant and others to name a few and can get a stock bike to fit for you after an initial fit to understand where you would need to be placed and what frame would work best for you. If you live in the tri-state area you can always contact me at Richie@Breakawaybikes .com and I can answer any questions that you may have. We also do custom carbon frames that have all the bells and whistles of aero and the full carbon feel. Do not settle for mediocracy when you can get what you want.
Quote Reply