Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"The new EC90TT displays lower drag than the Zipp 808 at 0, 5, 10, 15 and 20 degree yaw angles"
Quote | Reply
"The new EC90TT displays lower drag than the Zipp 808 at 0, 5, 10, 15 and 20 degree yaw angles"

http://www.bikerumor.com/...tb-wheels/#more-9357

really?
Quote Reply
Re: "The new EC90TT displays lower drag than the Zipp 808 at 0, 5, 10, 15 and 20 degree yaw angles" [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You forgot this :)

"comparison provided by Easton

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: "The new EC90TT displays lower drag than the Zipp 808 at 0, 5, 10, 15 and 20 degree yaw angles" [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: "The new EC90TT displays lower drag than the Zipp 808 at 0, 5, 10, 15 and 20 degree yaw angles" [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How deep is the 808 and how many spokes does it have?

The Easton is said to be 90mm deep and from the looks of it has only 12 spokes on the front. A little extra depth and a few less spokes could make the difference.

I'd guess it's a pretty fast wheel as some of the marketing shots for the 2010 P4 have that set of Easton wheels on them.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tires of course would be the answer.
As in what tires was it designed around?

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well that's nice that they chose a Zipp wheel with a 1cm shallower rim. Maybe the could do a comparison against the Hed Stinger 90 and let us know how it does. Seems like a marketing type deal to me.
Quote Reply
Re: "The new EC90TT displays lower drag than the Zipp 808 at 0, 5, 10, 15 and 20 degree yaw angles" [tjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
unless the torrodial patent has expired, or they found a way around it, it wouldn't matter.

the 808 and HED 90 both have a lot less drag in the 15degree yaw range than even 100mm deep wheels.

In Reply To:
Well that's nice that they chose a Zipp wheel with a 1cm shallower rim. Maybe the could do a comparison against the Hed Stinger 90 and let us know how it does. Seems like a marketing type deal to me.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: "The new EC90TT displays lower drag than the Zipp 808 at 0, 5, 10, 15 and 20 degree yaw angles" [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, and I am guessing that's why they are testing their deeper wheel against a shallower wheel. I would expect the Hed Stinger 90 to be much faster. Probably the 808 as well.
Last edited by: tjs: Sep 23, 09 12:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because I have nothing else to to...

Hed patent 5061013 filed 10/20/89 due to expire this year (20 years from date of filing)

Zipp patent 5975645 filed 9/8/97 due to expire 2017

I was always perplexed how both these patents were granted for essentially the same rim shape. The Zipp patent argues the bulging shape allows the rim to flex under radial stresses while the Hed patent argues the aerodynamic benefit of a toroidal shape. The examiners are different, Stormer for the Hed patent who seems to do a lot of bike related work, and Dayoan for the Zipp patent. The status quo should remain even if the Hed patent expires as the Zipp patent is enforceable for a good while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the TT hub. It seems to be about 1/3 the size of a standard hub. They're tiny, and roll surprisingly well (actually, I think the R4 hubs are still the second best hubs I've ever used, right behind Zipp's).

God, those wheels are ugly tho. An I own four pairs of (pre-2010) Easton wheelsets. :)
Quote Reply
Re: "The new EC90TT displays lower drag than the Zipp 808 at 0, 5, 10, 15 and 20 degree yaw angles" [tjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, the 808 is actually 82mm deep, so the Easton is only .8cm deeper.

Like I said earlier, I believe the 808 is 16 spokes and that Easton looks to be only 12, that could make a difference.

So could tires obviously.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to see the actually data and by how much. Is it within the error of the tester? Also, what was the procedure. All these little things add up to credibility and most makers just tell you the final answer that they found
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nico Toutenhoofd of Insight Design Web Solutions (and just the 15th person to ever go under 50 min for 40 km at Moriarty - congratulations, Nico!) is at Interbike and snapped this pic of Reynolds product flyer:

http://www.flickr.com/.../3949029133/sizes/l/
Quote Reply
Re: "The new EC90TT displays lower drag than the Zipp 808 at 0, 5, 10, 15 and 20 degree yaw angles" [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So they do have "some" data with their wheel and an 808 and a 1080. Interesting. Assume it has a little to do with just 12 front spokes and possibly the front hub?

Re: "The new EC90TT displays lower drag than the Zipp 808 at 0, 5, 10, 15 and 20 degree yaw angles" [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming the data is good on the Easton wheel, and narrow is aero, I wonder how the Quickstep TT wheel with a Zipp rim and Roval Star hub would do?

tour-de-france.velonews.com/photo/95871

tour-de-france.velonews.com/photo/95870

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Variable Nipple Bed technology."

Marketing run a-muck
Quote Reply
Re: "The new EC90TT displays lower drag than the Zipp 808 at 0, 5, 10, 15 and 20 degree yaw angles" [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will reitterate what others have said. Tires play a critical role in wheel aerodynamics.
Quote Reply
Re: "The new EC90TT displays lower drag than the Zipp 808 at 0, 5, 10, 15 and 20 degree yaw angles" [jmhtx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can confirm that narrow is aero, and less spokes helps too as long as you also match up the tire.
I have a LEW rim with a narrow flange hub and 12 spokes. Don't race it much, but it's WAY fast in zero yaw conditions. Running an 18mm track tire on it. Some of my testing shows it's faster than everything else I have in < 5 degree conditions. (and I have a lot of shit)

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: "The new EC90TT displays lower drag than the Zipp 808 at 0, 5, 10, 15 and 20 degree yaw angles" [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Variable Nipple Bed technology."

I'd buy it, as long as it isn't about bike wheels. Just sayin'.

-Jot

Quote Reply
Re: "The new EC90TT displays lower drag than the Zipp 808 at 0, 5, 10, 15 and 20 degree yaw angles" [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stop, you are killing me, but I do like where your head is at on this one ... ;o)

Would not surprise me at all that this wheel will be faster then everything out there. Easton just needs to have Kristen or Fabian use them to prove it .... :o)
Quote Reply
Re: "The new EC90TT displays lower drag than the Zipp 808 at 0, 5, 10, 15 and 20 degree yaw angles" [gralden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Note, 1080 not mentioned for a reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Nico Toutenhoofd of Insight Design Web Solutions (and just the 15th person to ever go under 50 min for 40 km at Moriarty - congratulations, Nico!) is at Interbike and snapped this pic of Reynolds product flyer:

http://www.flickr.com/.../3949029133/sizes/l/
tubular only?
Quote Reply
Re: "The new EC90TT displays lower drag than the Zipp 808 at 0, 5, 10, 15 and 20 degree yaw angles" [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Note, 1080 not mentioned for a reason.

Actually, if you look at the link Dr. Coggan posted, the wheel is compared to the 1080.
Quote Reply
Re: "The new EC90TT displays lower drag than the Zipp 808 at 0, 5, 10, 15 and 20 degree yaw angles" [hgrong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And it looks to do pretty damn well compared to the 1080 for a hell of a lot less money. Oh yeah....all you 1080 guys what happens when you put on a powertap rear hub....(VOID ZIPP WARRANTY).
Quote Reply
Re: "The new EC90TT displays lower drag than the Zipp 808 at 0, 5, 10, 15 and 20 degree yaw angles" [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You forgot this :)

"comparison provided by Easton

jaretj

ha ha ha

-----

-------
http://www.y-rocket.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next