Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"The Canadian" Roll Call
Quote | Reply
Who's racing in Ottawa next weekend? I'm in for that 1/2, although it's going to be a tough one for me. I'll be in survival mode for most of it.

Anybody have any intel on the course? I know the format, but someone said that there's a false flat on the bike and run. Is that outbound or inbound? Any other help you can give a first timer? Any interest in an ST get-together?
Quote Reply
Re: "The Canadian" Roll Call [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dawn - this is the easiest course you're going to find. It's a pleasure to race. There's very little you need to worry about - just keep moving.

The false flat is both inbound and outbound.... it's a looped course! It wasn't enough to get me up out of the saddle - just a couple gears off is all you'll need.

I'm not racing this year... booze on a dock is in order for this guy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dawn

I'm not racing it this year but did do the race last year and in 2003.

The course is pretty flat overall. There are a couple of inclines when you come back to the transition area on each loop. It is a pretty cool format and hopefully they have the courses accurately adjusted this year (last year they moved the transition area to accomodate the iron distance but didn't move any of the turnarounds at the far end of the out and back so the run was about 8-9 minutes longer than when I did the race in 2003). There is also a really long run from the transition area to the mount line for the bike. I am not one of those "leave my shoes on the pedals" guys so I ran carrying my shoes in one hand then leaned my bike against a tree just before the mount line and slipped them on. Seems to me it was a good 2 minute run with the bike from the transition area to the mount line. I really like the venue and you'll get lots of cheers as you loop back 6 times on the bike and twice on the run.

Good luck and have fun.
Quote Reply
Re: "The Canadian" Roll Call [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in for the half Ironman. The false flats are not an issue unless you have a howling wind from the south. Then you have wind going into a false flat. Hopefully they have the run and bike course measured properly. I'll contact the RD tonite to remind him of this. It really is a drag as last year, most times were 10-15 min slower than they needed to be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for the 1/2 as well. The course is 85 % flat. The only thing that is annoying about the course is that for the 1/2 you do 6 loops of the course. At each end of the loop is a 180 degree turn and you have to slow down to just about nothing (you loose alot of speed because of all these turns). The run is flat, that's all that can be said about the run. Oh yes, and the swim is flat as well.

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wife is doing the 1/2 but I'm doing the aquabike - same swim and bike but no run. When the rest of you are out on the run I'll probably be sipping a beer with lunch somewhere. Enjoy your run guys.:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Newsletter Update Number 1 from Race Director ...

We would like to make some exciting announcements regarding changes and improvements in the 2006 race. There are too many to list, but some of the key changes/improvements are: 1. Transition Zone Splits - Yes, we will be timing you as you exit the water, as you mount/dismount the bike, as you leave for the run and at the finish line - that means, your swim, bike and run times will be pure and you will be able to see your transition splits. 2. Accurate Cycle Course Distances - The run to and from the bike is now included in the bike distance, and the bike course has been re-measured and shortened, to make it exactly 90 or 180. 3. Accurate Run Course Distances - We have re-measured both run courses so you can be sure you run exactly what we advertise - half marathon run a little shorter and marathon run a little longer - bu tonly be a few hundred metres, due to the improper placement of turn signs last year. 4. Accurate Swim Course Distances - No changes in distance needed here, but we will have more buoys out there to help keep you on the course - with shorter distances between buoys - and the swim caps won't be the same colour as the buoys as they were last year. 5. All finishers medals, will be presented at the Finish Line this year, so you don't have to wait for them. Place medal "Add Ons" will be presented at the awards presentations - Half Iron Place Medal Add Ons shortly after the race on site - Iron Place Medal Add Ons, at the Awards Breakfast the next morning. 6. Look for a more exciting atmosphere around the finish line, with more music and even some live entertainment - especially as we encourage the Iron Finishers later in the day. 7. We have listened and are making strategic changes to the aid and special need stations, to better accommodate you. There will be more of everything and better locations for the stations. Although we have decided on our list of nutrients, we are still open to suggestions. Here is what wil be at the Run and cycle Aid Stations The Bike Aid Stations (every 15Km): - Gatorade in Bottles. Water Bottles, CarBoom Gel Packs, Bananas, Cookies, and Candies The Run Aid Stations (every 1.9Km): - Gatorade, Water, Coca Cola, Chicken Broth, CarBoom Gel, Bananas, Cookies, Grapes, Candies, and Salt Tablets Finish Line: - Gatorade, Water, Chicken Broth, coca Cola, Freezies or Popsicles 8. We are adding two more toilets to the run and cycle courses and will clearly mark them. 7. We are retaining a large local firm to provide post race ART and Massage support for those of you in the longer events. These services will be available on a need basis or for a small donation to Candlelighters our Series Charity. We hope you like these changes and look forward to your return to Eastern Ontario's largest and Ontario's longest triathlon and duathlon. Cheers! Terry Race Director Terry McKinty
Somersault Promotions
terry@somersault.ca
www.somersault.ca

Last edited by: HCD: Aug 28, 06 14:22
Quote Reply
Re: "The Canadian" Roll Call [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I'm out on my run, I expect almost everyone will be done already, not just the aquabikers! :)

Thanks for the input everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Newsletter Update Number 2 - Q & A

Q & A These are answers to your questions: 1. No head phones on the cycle portion of the event. For safety reasons, we do not allow head phones in the cycle portion of the event. We are a little easier on the run, but if you are in the Sprint or Try A Tri - no head phones there either. Half Iron and Iron participants may choose to wear them, but you do so at your own risk, as we do not recommend that you do so. 2. Numbers on your front in the Run and on your back the Back on the Cycle. We highly recommend that you follow this rule, but will not DQ anyone for failing to do so. We do sell Triathlon Belts at Race Kit Pick Up, to which you can affix your bib number and then just turn the belt around from cycle to run. 3. The Special Needs Table is intended for use by Iron Distance participants only. At 6:00 a.m. in the T-Zone participants can provide their Special Needs Bag to us at the Special Needs Van. This van will take your special needs bag to the Special Needs Table on the cycle course which will be located just North of Hogsback on Colonel By Drive. We will have an attendant at this table, but it will be the participants responsibility to locate and access their Special Needs bag at that station. Special drinks etc. cannot be placed at the regular Water Bottle Exchange Station on the cycle course. 4. Water Bottle Exchange Stations are located every 15Km on the cycle course, starting at 14Km. At these stations you drop your water bottle and can pick up one of ours - either Gatorade or water. 5. We provide swim caps for all participants. There isn't any colour code, so just take a colour you like. You may choose to wear your own swim cap. 6. look for twin buoys 9m apart at the swim turns and single buoys located every 100m along the swim course. 7. We will have lights in the T-Zone in early morning for the Iron participants and again in the late evening as the last half of Iron finishers come in. 8. We will have Sportstats timing mats at the near turn on each of the cycle and run courses. This will serve to ensure that all complete the proper number of laps and allow us to annoucne cyclists as they complete each lap. 9. We will add fruit bars to the list of items to be found at each Run Aid Station. Cheers! Terry McKinty Race Director
Somersault Promotions
terry@somersault.ca
www.somersault.ca

Quote Reply
Re: "The Canadian" Roll Call [HCD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah,

Back to the original question ... I will be DUing the IronDU event, my first irondistance attempt .... looking forward to the 12 (24 loops) out and backs on the ride and 4 (8 loops) on the run, up and down Colonel By ... ;-) andy ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there for the 1/2. Great course for a fast time and it looks like the weather will be good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there as a Volunteer. As will Cdnbiker.

Best of luck to everyone in the event. Have a great race!

And don't forget to thank the Volunteers :)

Tamara

Hopefully I'll get to meet some ST'rs at this race.

Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Re: "The Canadian" Roll Call [Irongirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know where on the course you'll be volunteering? I'll keep an eye out for you. I'm going to put "DawnT" on my other calf, so say hi if you see me out there. It's going to be a tough day, so I'll need all the distraction I can get!

Thanks for volunteering!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: "The Canadian" Roll Call [theriad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'll be there for the 1/2. Great course for a fast time and it looks like the weather will be good.
Looks like 90% POP on Saturday, thanks to Earnesto .. Hopefully, the showers won't start til the afternoon, after the bike segment ... :pray:
Last edited by: HCD: Aug 31, 06 5:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not quite sure yet. Possibly Registration or the T-Zone. We're there from 5:00AM - 1:00PM.

I'll be sure to cheer you on! And any other ST'rs.

Best of luck. Let's hope the rain holds off.

Tamara

Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Re: "The Canadian" Roll Call [konaexpress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Konaexpress will be the fast aero guy on a Lucero. I'll be the slow guy on a Lucero pushing way too much wind.

Cerveloguy, I think the Aquabike is a great concept. I've been pushing for a 2K swim-90K bike-5K run event. I think this distance would rock for old guys who can swim and bike a lot but limit running due to joint and ligament issues.

I'll also be working one of the aid stations for the Ironman after 6 pm (I'll head home after half Ironman, shower, eat and then come back).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like I'll be there :-) Keep an eye out for the YELLOW trailer.

I'll have my EZ-UP tent there so if it's raining you'll have a warm, dry place to warm up/cool down. I'll also have a fluid trainer, pump, tool kit, bike repair stand for anyone who needs it.

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
http://www.rollingthundercanada.com
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply
Re: "The Canadian" Roll Call [Speedy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I hope the rain holds off and no one has to take you up on your offer for refuge. See you there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/...n/Pages/CAON0512.htm

High 20

Cloudy with showers

POP 90%

E 15 kph

I'll bring the hot chocolate. You bring the marshmellows

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
http://www.rollingthundercanada.com
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply
Re: "The Canadian" Roll Call [Speedy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"...You bring the marshmallows "

Good thing I always have some in my Bento Box. Just don't tell Swimfan! ;)

Quote Reply
Post deleted by slimjim [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: slimjim: Aug 31, 06 14:28
Re: "The Canadian" Roll Call [slimjim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be there doing the du (once again), I'll be in a orange tri-suit with my blade.....and WILL be passing you on the bike...hehehe. I'll be hanging out at the blue tent as well.

Cheers

Speedy pick up the phone..... please

Cheers :D

http://www.rollingthundercananda.com

There are those who try, and those who du, there is no tri, only du

Last edited by: litespeed_smith: Aug 31, 06 15:33
Quote Reply
Re: "The Canadian" Roll Call [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't listen to Dev try who's trying to sandbag me. I have only beat him in in 1/2 IM (that I can recall). Results speak for themselves. I'll be seeing his back right from the beginning of the swim. The chase will be on!!!

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Re: "The Canadian" Roll Call [konaexpress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is nothing new. I get out of the water and spend the rest of the day dreading the moment that KonaExpress blows by. My only hope is that there is a huge current in water during the swim and everyone is slow :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there for the Half. Did the Full last year and enjoyed it. There aren't really any hills - just some minor grade changes. Pancake flat compared to LP (which I did this year 38 minutes slower than the Canadian last year)

Environment Canada is now calling for cloudy, high of 20C and no rain. That would be ideal.

-----------------------------------------------------------
"No more hurting people - Peace"
Quote Reply

Prev Next