Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"That thing does not use gas so get off the road"
Quote | Reply
I had a great run before work this morning. It was a great morning for a run, my legs felt good and my spirits were up...way up ! I was on a high from my run. Got home, did 10 min of leg weights, walked with my son to school (pushing my bike) and then got on my bike and started riding to work. This is when my so far "perfect morning" goes from perfect to ridiculous. I was pulling across two lanes of traffic, signalling with my left hand. This guy in a pick up truck first tries to squeeze me off my line (I was in front of him), then slams on the brakes and accelerates around me to my right. We both arrive at the ensuing traffic light that was all of 30 feet away. I said,

"Excuse me sir, but how would you like me to change lanes ???"

He screams back, "That THING does not use GAS so get IT OFF THE ROAD !!!"

Now, at this point I was simultaneous annoyed and amused by his statement and replied,

"Well, I am entitled to use the road last time I checked the Ontario Highway Traffic act..."

This sent him into a fit of rage and I could see him fuming and my left turn light turns green and his stays red, so with a big smile on my face I said,

"Well, I am glad you were in such a rush, looks like the vehicle without gas leaves first !!!"
Quote Reply
Re: "That thing does not use gas so get off the road" [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been honked, cut off, and a myriad of other things...

you really have to love ottawa drivers...I've never seen so many people so in a rush to go nowhere (rush hour traffic in ottawa can be really bad)
Quote Reply
Re: "That thing does not use gas so get off the road" [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had a similiar expierience the other day, was signaling to get into the left lane to turn into work, I was clear, had checked the mirror and done a head swivel. As i signal I hear a ablaring horn, and a caddy that was a couple of hundred feet back punches it and prevents me from getting over he never let off the horn until he passed me.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OMG Good thing you kept your cool, you never know with these kind of people. Must have been one of those crazy Sens fans all disgruntled about the lock out ;)

FWIW I hate it when grown-ups ride their bikes on the side walk. There's just not enough room for bike and pedestrians on those.

Wilfried Heinle

Artificial Intelligence can never beat natural stupidity.
Quote Reply
Re: "That thing does not use gas so get off the road" [WHeinle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wilfried, you are correct, must have been one of those guys who did not have his morning coffee fix and is now confused about what he will do on Saturday nite. I guess he'll have to settle for CFL football on Friday nite, actually talk to his wife on Saturday nite and spend all day on Sun with NFL football (oops, this sounds like my weekend sports routine in between tri and XC ski season...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two things:

First, I don't think it's a good idea to talk to motorists - ever. Especially when you can tell they're agitated.

Second, in heavy traffic, I've found it best to do the "2 light" left turn so that I don't cut in front of traffic. I stay to the far right, go across the intersection, and stop in the right lane of the cross street. Then I wait for the green light to continue in my new direction.
Quote Reply
Re: "That thing does not use gas so get off the road" [Bru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bru, wise words. Skinny tri guy with shaved legs on 17 lb Guru tribike will lose to burly man in Ford F-250 if he gets too irate. As for crossing using the pedestian approach, this is a reasonable option in heavy traffic. It was actually pretty light this morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few weeks ago I confronted a woman in a car who nearly side-swiped me as I was riding on the shoulder. Her response was, "you don't even belong on the road because you can't go the speed limit".

I tend to avoid these kinds of confrontations, but I happened to be especially cranky that day.

-MB
Quote Reply
Re: "That thing does not use gas so get off the road" [Michael Bey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Call me over-reactive, but these are the reasons I avail myself of the CHL laws in Texas while riding on my own. When I'm on a 10 foot wide shoulder and a pick-up still feels it necessary to blare his horn at me and then pull to the side of the road a few hundred yards up (yes this actually happened, though he drove off), I will stop and not approach or talk to them. However, I don't have a lot of options if he decides to throw it in reverse and come back to me, do I?
Quote Reply
Re: "That thing does not use gas so get off the road" [Jekyll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Rush hour traffic in Ottawa can be really bad"

Sorry, no go there. I have been in Ottawa during rush hour traffic. That's a cake walk compared to Toronto. Everything in Ottawa is only 15 minutes away. The only real bad traffic is during Ottawa Sens games and getting out there

Don't get me wrong: I love Ottawa, and be one of the places that I would live. It's a great town, and they really cater to the outdoor people.

But please, no real rush hour traffic

Mark
Quote Reply