Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Swimming with the band" - can someone elaborate?
Quote | Reply
I've heard alot of people refer to "swimming with a band". I recall Rappstar, Dev and others refering to this. Can someone elaborate as to what it is? What is the purpose of it? Kick strengthening? Help body position?
Quote Reply
Re: "Swimming with the band" - can someone elaborate? [beemis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not qualified to answer your question except to say it probably doesn't contribute to kick strenghening, since you don't kick when you use a band (unless you're swimming butterfly I guess!).

Do a search of previous posts, Rappstar had lots of info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Body position. Forces you to use your body to balance instead of your legs (I believe).
M~
Quote Reply
Re: "Swimming with the band" - can someone elaborate? [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the legs would be banded together at the ankles so you can't kick at all?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take an old bicyle tube and cut it just long enough it will go around both ankles and be able to tie it in a knot. That's your band.

Helps you improve body position and is also a great strength workout. Starting out, 25 yards will likely be difficult and you'll probably feel like your feet are going to drag on the bottom of the pool. With time and practice you'll get better and you'll be faster for it.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Re: "Swimming with the band" - can someone elaborate? [Justin in OK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We used these in college all the time - they are pretty miserable, but very helpful in body position, etc. Really help you focus on your core and how to use it properly while you swim.
Quote Reply