Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Sugar Hangover" from energy gels/drinks?
Quote | Reply
I'm training for IM AZ and did my longest brick since 2010 yesterday: 5.5 hour ride, 1 hour run. I drank 4 bottles of Infinit, and ate 7 PowerBar gels and 1 bag of PowerBar gummies. I had my normal protein shake and post-workout meal/snacks after. Later last night, my stomach started feeling really weird. The best way I can describe it is that it felt like a hangover stomachache. Sort of nauseated, but I never actually got sick. It kept me up most of the night and still felt the same way this morning... I don't eat a lot of desserts/sugary foods, so I am trying to figure out if my body wasn't used to all that sugar? I used the same drink/gels while training for 70.3 races earlier this season, and it seemed like a good combo and I never had any issues like this before. Of course, I was probably only going through about half the quantity since the workouts were shorter. When I trained for Louisville in 2010, I used a mix of Hammer Perpetuem, electrolyte drinks, gels, and Clif Bars and never had an issue like this and am thinking I might go back to that- maybe the protein and solid food helped to dilute out the sugar?

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated... thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: "Sugar Hangover" from energy gels/drinks? [swimbikerun723] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seems like alot of nutrition on the bike and glad you had that feeling now vs. race day. Did you get enough salt, I would add a banana(potassium) and more water to dilute after workout. Mix it up again on another long day and incorporate more water.
Know that everyones make up and needs are different .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, that feeling you describe tends to go hand in hand with being dehydrated---typically after long workouts or races. Not sure if that's your issue, but as has been mentioned it does sound like lots of calories and nothing really pure in terms of just H20...lots depends on your Infinit formula, as well as if you had any other liquid besides that during the effort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
read up on Allen Lim
Quote Reply