Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Slumping" into position
Quote | Reply
I've been experimenting with my positioning a bit with an ergostem and have decided to try to find a bar position which allows me to "slump" my torso down onto my aero bars.

The position I've been using required me to use a little bit of my lats to hold my torso in line with my shoulder joint. I want to get rid of that little bit of muscle tension and slump my torso (ie lower my torso without lowering my pad height) a little bit. This should also get my head a bit more out of the airflow and narrow my shoulder profile a touch, but what I'm really looking for is complete upper body relaxation on the bike.

The problem I'm having is that the "slumped" positions seem to require a very high pad height to avoid hitting my thighs into my lower rib cage. This doesn't seem to affect power much, but I'm off of my training routine so it's hard to tell.

Who else is riding with a "slumped" position? Can you maintain this position for long distances?

On a related note, how many of you ride with your thighs hitting your body at all? Are they just lightly grazing your body, or are your thighs gently bumping your rib cage on every stroke?

FYI, I'm just out of Team ShortTwitch at around 5-8, 150 lbs. Not much gut, so that's not an issue, and I sit about as far forward as I can on a converted (Thomson reversed and Fast Forward posts under experimentation right now) road bike. 170mm cranks, Syntace C2s.

Thanks for the feedback.
Last edited by: Tom Fort: Oct 21, 05 9:42
Quote Reply
Re: "Slumping" into position [Tom Fort] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your thighs are hitting you at all, you need to go further forward to open up your hip angle. It's a short guy (i'm 5'6) issue. I also like to use 165mm crank arms which help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you're riding a converted road bike I'll assume you're not the Mr. Fort of Fort Frames.

Post a picture of your postion. I've never seen someone on a road bike hitting their chest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6-3 with a 37" inseam and a short torso. The drop from my saddle to the pads is 20.5cm. 180mm cranks. I'm 5cm in front of the BB, so the hip angle is very open to allow good breathing with this amount of drop. My knees don't even come close to my chest.

I've moved forward to get lower, and allow the hip angle to remain open at the same time. If I didn't move forward to get lower, then the hip angle is closed and my shoulders arched instead of the back going lower. I once did measuements at the lbs that showed moving the aerobars up 9cm, only raised my back 2cm. My shoulders were all arched over to reach the pads.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the dropping of the torso between the shoulders has been described by Andrew Coggan on a few of the other forums.
Quote Reply
Re: "Slumping" into position [caleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fort Frames are the US distributors for a bike company in the Czech Republic. Apparently Radovan Fort was one of the original 4 partners in the company, and since he had name recognition as a cyclecross champion, they used his name. I do ride a Fort road bike, but for triathlons I convert an old steel frame.

I'm stuck in an airport with a bunch of people getting out of Florida before the hurricane. I'll see if I have a picture somewhere on the computer and can figure out the picture posting process. It would be a still photo pulled from an older video I made while tweaking my position.

The position can be pretty low on the road bike with the ergostem. Plus it's a biggish frame and I've got longer legs and a shorter torso. I don't hit my chest so much as have my thigh give a little nudge to my ribcage.
Quote Reply
Re: "Slumping" into position [konaby2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been following the boards and Wattage for a while, where did Andy mention the "slumped" position?

The position I'm shooting for is basically Andy's "caveman" approach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I saw it on Bike tech review.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the Coggan pot I was referring to earlier.

[/url] Re: Elbow width, fairing effect & arm angle revisited Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:07 am Andy Coggan BTR - Pro Joined: 10 Dec 2004 Posts: 615

JV wrote: There may have been some impact in the way you held your shoulders/upper arms with the narrow pads vs. slightly wider that resulted in some other change that lowered CdA.

I find that widening the distance between my elbows makes it a bit easier to drop my spine down between my shoulder girdle. I don't know if this is faster or slower, however (but hope to soon find out).

http://biketechreview.com/...&highlight=#2727
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was too slack, I was hitting my ribs (which protrude more thannormal) Is your position too slack? Maybe you need to be at 79-81degrees. Dan has an angle finder on here to help with that.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/anglevangle.html

I am not an expert in this. A good FIST fitting can really help with this. I had one with one of Dan's graduates. It really helped my comfort, aero-ness and speed. (I also attended his little schpeel (sp?) at the fixapalooza.)

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: "Slumping" into position [konaby2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, BTR. I stopped checking that out after Kirk/Kraig and Andy went 'round and 'round a few times. If that's petered out, I'll stop by again and ask Andy for an update. Thanks for the link.

Docfuel-
I may be too slack, that's why I'm trying a Fast Forward post instead of the reversed Thomson I had been using. I've got the saddle all the way forward on the rails, and I think the seat tube angle on the bike is around 74 degrees. I couldn't go much further without trying an Arione or something like that.

Seems like the general consensus is that you should be far enough forward/high enough so that your thighs do not touch your body at all?
Quote Reply