Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Sick" feeling after big bricks
Quote | Reply
I'm feeling achy and feverish after 5+ hour bricks. It's occurred several times this year, always after long workout in heat. I'm hydrating nearly 2 bottles perform/hr as I'm a heavy sweater. Done sweat test and that's what we came up with.
Anybody else experience this ? Any thoughts on why ?
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: "Sick" feeling after big bricks [wisetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious.....do you ever do 5 hour non brick workouts? For example, go ride for 5 hours?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same experience after overreaching on a short (35/4) brick in the heat last weekend, and am curious to see responses to this thread. Two days of light fever, aching and no energy.

I was just 2 weeks post IMC at the time, and figured my body was telling me it's not ready to work.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: "Sick" feeling after big bricks [byfaith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not at present. Bikes are 4-5 hrs with hour run. In final build/peak for IMCHOO.
Quote Reply
Re: "Sick" feeling after big bricks [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My suspicion is lots of work with hot, humid conditions is causing body to react.... But wanted to put it out there to get feedback.
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happens to me occasionally when I'm not fueled and hydrated properly. Feel nauseous, feverish and like I might crap myself.

http://running.competitor.com/...nd-dehydration_77563
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like the early signs of Heat Illness to me. Be careful.
Quote Reply
Re: "Sick" feeling after big bricks [JayZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JayZ wrote:
Sounds like the early signs of Heat Illness to me. Be careful.

Me too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try taking in more sodium
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wisetri wrote:
I'm feeling achy and feverish after 5+ hour bricks. It's occurred several times this year, always after long workout in heat. I'm hydrating nearly 2 bottles perform/hr as I'm a heavy sweater. Done sweat test and that's what we came up with.
Anybody else experience this ? Any thoughts on why ?
Thanks.

How about you are overworking your body. Obviously this workout is to much to handle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, that is a feeling of feverish and sickness that i had to deal with on everyone of my big build up before ironman races. That would happen when i was pushing myself hard and in the biggest part of the training. I came to learn to ignore this sensation and carry on. it s not easy and definitely stressful feeling at times but it was part of pushing the envelope to get the big performance.

everyone is different, you need to see if your body still does the work well in training even with this feeling or if it s actually a sign that you need to back off and something is wrong....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this too, until I realized that I would always be low on energy. Try to take in 1.0 - 1.3 grams of carbs pr hour, per kg body weight. And this throughout your whole workout.

Also try to take stuff that takes longer to digest, like bread, bananas, etc - instead of just bars, gels and energy drinks.

T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I often get a little nauseous after big workouts. Sometimes it's distance work, sometimes it's intensity work, but it's always when I don't eat or drink immediately after the workout.

Most of the time it is after a training sessions in the summer, so this could be heat related as others have alluded to. Very rarely does it happen in the winter unless it's high intensity on the trainer (sufferfest-esque type intensity).

Drinking a ton of water during and after the workout helps me. Maybe it's switching from GU/sports drink to real food after the workout and your stomach doesn't particularly like it? Maybe a recovery drink, something like chocolate milk?

It's a terrible feeling for sure. Try to figure out what's happening if you can. But maybe don't change anything too drastically if you're finishing up training for IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think it is fueling and/or heat. Early in base season when I am trying to get my weight down I feel horrible after rides until I get some sugar in me. Like Johnyo said, I ignore the feeling on my long/hard workouts and know the feeling will subside. Just make sure to get something in you and be sure to move around slowly for a while so you don't pass out.
Quote Reply
Re: "Sick" feeling after big bricks [PUTU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happened to me today. Almost puked. Felt bad on the bike and the run was horrible. First big training day (7+ hours) in heat. I normally train early, but was tired from traveling all week, so slept in…and got to experience all of the heat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like Ebola. I'd quarantine you until October 12th.
Pink/

Primum Non Nocere, except to Kempy!
Quote Reply