Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Seeded" road at 3 mountain/3 state ride
Quote | Reply
Yesterday at the 3 Mountain/3 State ride in Chattanooga, Tn some $%^&* redneck seeded the road with tacks on Suck Creek Mountain. I saw lots of flats, including one of my friends. What's worse is one rider crashed on the decent and hurt himself pretty badly. My wife went by as they were loading him onto a stretcher and said he was screaming like crazy. Word got around that he hit a tack, blew his tire and crashed, though I can't say it's a fact. If so, what can we do to catch the SOB? I was thinking a reward offered for info leading to an arrest. But what could you arrest him on?

This was the only downside to a beautiful ride with 2,000 participants. It was very well organized and sagged. It's a shame someone had to jeopardize the safety of the riders with his petty act.
Quote Reply
Re: "Seeded" road at 3 mountain/3 state ride [trifan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are the local police involved? If not, I would try to contact the state police or state bureau of investigation. Clearly, if this was a malicious act designed to destroy property and endanger 2000+ people, it will be a serious crime (felony damage to property, felony assault, agg assault, etc), and I would try to stress that point. Documenting the severe injury, and the probable cause of the accident will be important. Try to have the bike / tire / tube maintained by a single person, in case the items are needed for examination as evidence.

I have read about this happening at IMC, and I hope (and pray) that the offender(s) are caught and truly prosecuted there and in your case. Those people are committing criminal acts against crowds of people going 20-30mph, and they need to get the sharp end of the judicial sword.
Last edited by: Little Bill: May 7, 06 12:32
Quote Reply
Re: "Seeded" road at 3 mountain/3 state ride [trifan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It should be SoP to sweep the course as close to the time the riders pass through with a magnetic sweeper. I'm assuming the tacks have some iron in them.

They're not that expensive and can be towed behind a vehicle.

Then the culprit wouldn't be able to lay tacks under cover of darkness the night before and would have to risk a higher chance of being caught.

There's plenty of things he or she could be charged with.
Quote Reply
Re: "Seeded" road at 3 mountain/3 state ride [Little Bill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope the race organizers did get the police involved, but I'm not sure. I was just a participant. However, I do plan on writing a letter to the editor of our local paper in the hopes someone will come forward with information.
Quote Reply