Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "Pull" in your Swim workouts [daltri1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pulling with just any paddles is often a total waste of pool time. But pulling with the right set of paddles can be extraordinarily valuable for beginner to advanced swimmers who want to continue to improve their stroke technique, as the right paddles (set up correctly--this is very important) can detect and teach you to correct stroke errors that even talented swim coaches are not able to see.

When you do choose to pull, not kicking and using a pull buoy is a very good idea. Why? Pulling invariably changes your stroke timing and rhythm. And your kick is sychronized to the rhythm of your arms, so rather than teach yourself a new kick pattern just for pulling, don't kick at all and use a pull buoy instead. Plus, the pull buoy frees your mind from focusing on your kick and allows you to fully pay attention to the feedback you are getting from your correctly set up paddles.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, since no one else will admit it, I will. I like to use a pull buoy because I'm fricking lazy and it makes it easier. I don't use paddles very often because again I'm fricking lazy and they make it harder. It's as plain and simple as that. Nothing else to it. And guess what. I'm a pretty decent triathlon swimmer. Notice I said triathlon swimmer and not swimmer. I expect sub-28's in all my 70.3's and an hour on the dot for IM's.

I've always rationalized my laziness by saying to myself that it's ok because all my swims are wetsuit legal. But, it's all a fricking lie. I'm just lazy and looking for the easy way out when it comes to swimming. Having said all of that I'm doing my first non-wetsuit IM this year (Texas) and figured I better kick the habit ASAP and stop being so lazy. So, one of my resolutions this year was to only use the buoy and paddles when the master's coach specifically says it's a pull set. So far I've been able to keep up with it and I end up averaging about 400 per workout with pull gear.

So, all of you need to get off your high horse and just admit why you really use the gear --- it's easier.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Re: "Pull" in your Swim workouts [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like to use a pull buoy because I'm fricking lazy and it makes it easier.//

So when you put it on you do not go faster??Cannot you just go easier with no buoyand be the lazy ass you say you are?? I'm gonna bet that when you put it on that you swim faster in the lane than you were before using it. You do not hold the same times as swimming. That is what most folks do, they put on the buoy and then swim faster, not easier. Sure if I swm 1;10 100's, then pull 1;10's, it is easier, but I never do that. When I put on the pull gear it drops 5 seconds a 100, and then my HR is pegged as if I was just swimming. And that is just for you and I too, I know guys that hate the buoy, and swim slower with it. In my case it is a floating issue, I'm very dense in the water, so get a great benifit.
Quote Reply
Re: "Pull" in your Swim workouts [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pull buoy + hand Paddles are tools of the trade.

I like resistance in the off season. Now, I have seen great swimmers come from the "pure" coaches who only swim naked (with a speedo) and I have seen great swimmers come from those who like to use "the tools."

I am a High School swim Coach. Over the last 10 years what I have learned is that the more I learn about coaching swimming, the less I know. Story of our lives, right?

What works for Johnny my 500 swimmer would not work for Suzy my 50 sprinter. Some times tools work for everyone and sometimes tools may not work for 1 person on the team. I had a kids 2 years ago who could not properly turn over/recover with in freestyle. I bought one of those fulcrum/arm toys and he was cured to perfect finger tip glides in 10 days. Personally, I thought the gadget was a complete piece of crap...but to each is their own-and it worked for him!

When you swim, simply document your workouts and conduct a time trial or go swim a masters race once in a while; you will know if it works by comparing and contrasting notes. That is what I have learned about my coaching and it changes ever year. But that's why some people love chess I guess?

Personally I love to Pull Massive sets with a pull buoy. I have friends that I swim with who will blow their shoulders out with hand paddles. It has never hurt me and it works for ME (but not my buddy who has equally fast times in the pool and the O/W. BUUUUUUT, Once I am "In SEASON," I put all tools away (ie; pull buoy, fins, paddles, kick boards, snorkel, drag suit). In season means about 4-6 weeks away from my A-race. This is something I picked up from Phelps program. The idea is to feel all the water that you possibly can. I also add tons of skulling towards the seasons A and B races.

2 reasons I believe it works for ME: 1. There is a greater risk for injury when using tools in the water. 2. I want my "turn over" to pick up greatly before race day and the events leading up to it.

These are 3 workouts/sets I MUST do leading up to an A-Race starting about 6 weeks prior: They all relate to my ultimate goals.

1. Swim: With Closed Fists-sprint 40 x 50 on the :45 (produces the faster turn over)
2. Cycling: 10 x :60 with 2:00 rests with cadence at or over 120 rpm's. (produces faster feet but I do not use heavey exhaustion rates)
3. Running: 20 x 200's :20 BELOW 1600 run pace on the track with 200 speed walks. Goal short fast feet during the run and the walk. Power walking is funny and I do this in private and the run pace I try to shorten my stride until it feels awkward. After 5-10 x 200 runs, I feel good and it becomes natural.

I tried to make the pools toys relate to my other disicplines. I use Tools + Toys as resistance in the off season and ALWAYS focus them on DPS (distance per stroke.)

Hope this helps someone,

To each is there own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do pull sets when my coach tells me to and really don't spend a whole lot of time contemplating why I'm doing it. If it's on the white board it's time to pull. If not, it's time to do whatever else is written there. I would say that probably 75% of my workouts incorporate at least some pulling, be it on it's own or as part of a larger set.
Quote Reply
Re: "Pull" in your Swim workouts [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"There is no perfect form btw."

NOW you tell me.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next