Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Pro" Bike Fit w New Aerobars - Hating it!
Quote | Reply
I recently had my road bike converted for use with aero bars for my first IM in August. I wanted to aero bars solely in hopes of being more comfortable on the long ride. The fit took two hours or so, and the person who fit me has good experience I believe.

One of the most major changes that was made was my seat was raised pretty significantly, as it was apparently way too low. My seat was also moved forward. It felt OK during the fitting but when I got the bike home for a real ride on the trainer within 25 min or so my FEET hurt...... badly. Thought it was odd. All I could think to do was lower the seat, which I did. This helped a bit. Now, I also feel uncomfortable in my saddle while on the aero bars as I feel like I'm either sitting back on the saddle and a bit too stretched...or I sit up in the saddle and basically have the tip of the saddle resting in my crotch, which is really no fun. My neck also gets tired, etc. - especially when keeping my head high to watch my TV which is elevated a bit - but I am guessing that is normal and I just need to suck it up there and get used to it.

My only goal is/was to be more comfortable, and now I am anything but. The whole setup just feels too aggressive for me. I'm a BOP guy basically among this crowd. I am a bit nervous as for the first time ever I am dreading getting on the bike....5 months before go time. I went from being able to ride my road bike for 2-3 hours comfortably (granted not the 6-7 hours it will likely take me to finish the IM bike leg) to being uncomfortable after 30-40 min on the bike and I'm hard-pressed to stay on the bike for much than an hour.

I am hoping for some feedback on whether you believe it make sense to take it to someone else, take it back to the same person, or keep tweaking it myself and keep working on getting used to the new setup? Raise my bars up a bit? Any other feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: "Pro" Bike Fit w New Aerobars - Hating it! [ironhoze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
   5 months is a long time, so no worries about getting back to comfortable long rides. You'll probably get plenty of advice to get another/better fit, but I'd take measurements from where this guy set things up, then move things largely back to where you are comfortable. Providing you did not move your cleat position, foot pain may be cause by more ankling from the higher seat. If you believe the position he put you in will ultimately be faster, and want to get there, then just move back towards that slowly. Really, just keeping your original position and throwing on an aero bar would have given more hand positions, and added some comfort and aero after a little getting used to. Seat way too low is of interest, because if you are well out of the range, your efficiency will suffer. That said, if he moved the seat forward, you generally need to come up as well to keep correct leg extension. Lastly, 6-7 hours will not be BOP, you'll be MOP unless you have a swim and run that is significantly slower relative that bike time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Often it takes 300 miles to adapt to a big change in bike fit.

What did you fitter tell you about adjusting to new fit?

Call him/her and ask about issues you have post fit. Do they include a free follow up?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aero-bars put lots of people on the nose of the saddle. It's not necessarily a bad thing. You might want to try a different saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it's expensive, but go get a Retul bike fit. I've never had a bad experience with them. Also, doing an IM is a serious commitment to being in the saddle. Comfort is everything.

--------------------

Quote Reply
Re: "Pro" Bike Fit w New Aerobars - Hating it! [boulderoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will caution that Retul is only as good as the fitter, Retul is just a tool that can be employed by the fitter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be really careful if it is making your feet hurt. I was getting foot pain while riding, which I thought was just lacing shoes too tight.... then it turns out I was stressing my spine and herniated a disc, leading to 2 months in bed.
When I started riding again, I had a professional fit from my LBS (Specialized "body glove" certified fit center thingy) , and they moved my seat back and down substantially. I had been on a very aggressive road setup, (74 degree seat tube), and I was even using a tri saddle for a time as I was riding very forward, which may not be dissimilar to their change... or it could be completely different.

So, in short, +1 to the mark down all of the measurements and see what works better. Park Tools has a couple of pretty awesome PDFs and resources to take measurements.
Also, the fit place may have a 30-day check-in for adjustments; call them up, tell them the problem and, if they're smart, they'll bring you back in.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i doing the same thing. added aerobars to my road bike. my only soreness has been my neck and i made some adjustments, position/body wise, and felt better. also, i switched my gel toupe to a smp avant which helps a little, but im not crazy about. im actually looking for a different tri saddle now.

i agree with one of the other replies. it does take awhile to get used to it. the more you ride and make adjustments the more comfortable you will be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I return to my Tri bike after only riding my road bike for a few months it takes me about a month to get back to feeling good in the position.

No way for me to know if your fit is good or bad but without giving it at leat a few hundred miles I would not just start changing things.
My neighbor did this and started having serious lower back issue from moving his seat around to get comforable. I brought him a Cobb max, refit him and he has not had to move again.
He was trying to use a seat that was ok on a mild aero position but was not ok once he went lower.
give it some time though.
Quote Reply
Re: "Pro" Bike Fit w New Aerobars - Hating it! [PaintIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are you located? If you feel like something is "off" from the get-go and it is something that isn't "normal" as described by your fitter, I would seek the advice of another fitter. Not all are created the same, I can personally attest to this. The comment about the Retul fit is accurate, some fitters use is as "gospel", and some use it as a tool, as it is intended, it shouldn't be the end all be all with a fit, there are alot of things that come into play that will fall outside of the basic Retul fit. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if this is necessary but, I've read when making this switch you should use a forward facing seat post.

Quote | Reply
My non-expert opinion is that when you move to a more aggressive TT position, if it's a good position for you, the only thing that should be sore is your neck. After some time this should go away.

If it's a really aggressive position it may be comfortable enough for racing, but may not be all that comfortable for cruising around.

x2 on the idea of changing up your saddle. Something like a Cobb or Adamo so that you can comfortably sit on the nose.
Quote Reply
Re: "Pro" Bike Fit w New Aerobars - Hating it! [bluepoint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the help guys. I have been messing with it a little myself and have brought the seat down and feel good enough that I'm able to ride on the aero bars for 90 min or so with what feels like reasonably good power. I understand that I may be limiting my power by being too low but pain really slows me down more than anything. I will try to move it back up gradually over time. I am in NYC, so I may also try an Adamo or similar saddle and see how that feels. Right now I'm uncomfortable on the Aliante, but not in any pain. After 5 hours I can see that discomfort tunring into pain, but will see what happens.

Thanks to the board again for answering my newbie questions, much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be helpful to see some pictures of you on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x3 on trying a different saddle, like an Adamo or Cobb. I have no idea how people ride on a regular saddle in an aero position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've been FISTed!
Quote Reply
Re: "Pro" Bike Fit w New Aerobars - Hating it! [Sam Apoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sam Apoc wrote:
You've been FISTed!

Wow, Sam Apoc, that's so offensive your comments should have their own division. Boom.
Quote Reply
Re: "Pro" Bike Fit w New Aerobars - Hating it! [KathyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Often it takes 300 miles to adapt to a big change in bike fit."

i could not disagree with this more.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironhoze wrote:
Thanks for the help guys. I have been messing with it a little myself and have brought the seat down and feel good enough that I'm able to ride on the aero bars for 90 min or so with what feels like reasonably good power. I understand that I may be limiting my power by being too low but pain really slows me down more than anything. I will try to move it back up gradually over time. I am in NYC, so I may also try an Adamo or similar saddle and see how that feels. Right now I'm uncomfortable on the Aliante, but not in any pain. After 5 hours I can see that discomfort tunring into pain, but will see what happens.

Thanks to the board again for answering my newbie questions, much appreciated.

And who was your fitter in NYC?

PM me for this info...

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't most fitters allow followups if you have any problems? The good ones do anyway.

As for the saddle... definitely try an adamo or cobb. After going more aggressive my stock saddle was a torture device. If you go adamo I'd start with one not to firm. This is the order from soft to firm of the most popular Adamo saddles discussed here: Road, Race, Time Trial.
Last edited by: matto: Mar 16, 12 12:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of things. First, your feel on the road will be different from your feel on the trainer. I can ride lots longer on the road without sore spots than on a trainer.

Second, if you have a typical road setup and are used to it and then throw on some clip ons, you will likely find that your saddle needs adjustment. In my case I need to drop the nose a tiny bit and should have moved the saddle forward a tad.

Oh and sore neck - yup that isn't uncommon, especially when you first start out.

As others stated, make sure you record the measurements. Then, you may want to go to angles that are a bit easier and work back to the more aero position.

I would also find it strange to have your seat raised that much if you did lot of cycling before. The rule of thumb I've used for my road bikes is to raise the seat till my hips just start rocking and then back down to where they don't. Plus, if I get a sore spot at the back of my knee after riding for an hour give or take, that is a signal my seat is too high.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: "Pro" Bike Fit w New Aerobars - Hating it! [Sam Apoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sam Apoc wrote:
You've been FISTed!

that one made me laugh out loud.
Quote Reply