Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Play through it pain" or "Red Flag pain"??
Quote | Reply
About three weeks ago I got back on the bike for the first time in 8 solid months. I've now ridden three times in the last three weeks 30 miles, 25 and 20. Each ride I've had an incredibly tight and sore lower back. It's like a sheet of achiness that comes up from my waistline; very much akin to the kind of ache I would normally have after a 60 or 70 mile ride.

The optomist in me says that it's just all of the little muscles in my lower back getting re-accustomed to the extreme position (I ride a P2K) and that once they re-train I'll be fine.

The pessimist in me is troubled that after 4 really consistent training years in a row, an 8 month layoff would cause this much trouble and that I haven't noticed any improvement (albeit riding only once a week for the last three weeks).

Even though I was off of the bike for 8 months I was able to run and swim at about 40% of my normal training load so it's not like I lost 100% of my fitness and flexibility.

Any useful suggestions?

p.s. I let a friend borrow my roadbike so I haven't had the option of riding a more relaxed position while getting back into the groove.
Quote Reply
Re: "Play through it pain" or "Red Flag pain"?? [IAG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've now ridden three times in the last three weeks 30 miles, 25 and 20.

very much akin to the kind of ache I would normally have after a 60 or 70 mile ride.

This sounds like you're just getting used to riding again. Three short rides doesn't seem an excessive (or even adequate) amount of time to re-acclimate yourself to riding again.

If it's really bad, can you get higher in front by adding some spacers?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: "Play through it pain" or "Red Flag pain"?? [IAG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a play through it pain. Maybe you need to start out on your road bike for a while. Maybe you are too stretched out on your tri bike. Maybe you have lost flexibility and have to raise your bars or slacken the seat angle. Maybe you need to do some core exercise. Maybe all of the above.

Keep trying different things and deal.
Quote Reply