Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Off Season" Schedule
Quote | Reply
I just finished my first season of tris (2 sprint and 2 OD). I plan to increase the distance to HIM next year. My question is what type of training regimen do people follow in the "off season"?

I keep shooting myself in the foot on the swim, so I'm planning to join a Master's class for MWF swims. I had been swimming T,Th.

I've added a 4th day of running as i follow a program to train for half marathons in Dec and Jan, so now run T,Th,Fr,Su

Cycling is my strength, although it was hindered on the Olympic distance races because I'm tired the first 10-15 minutes out of the water. with work & school, I'm loosing daylight for cycling, so will probably do Mon night on my rollers (once I get them), and do a Spinnerval DVD on Wed. Long ride on Saturday & occasional fast ride on Thursday lunches with some roadies.
Quote Reply
Re: "Off Season" Schedule [krull_etc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When is your HIM?

http://wardmoya.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: "Off Season" Schedule [vo2maxed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first will be in July (Vineman 70.3). Hoping to do something late season closer to home, as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in a similar situation, hoping to do my first HIM in late June. I've been training for a half marathon in late November but a case of PF is limiting my running somewhat at the moment, so I'm replacing a lot of the time I've spent running with pool time - I'm going to try to get 5 days a week in at the pool until I can get the PF resolved enough to start upping the mileage again. Swimming's my weakest anyway so this works for now.

I'm also losing bike time due to lack of daylight and realistically can only expect to get in one or two trainer sessions during the week plus a longer ride on the weekend. When ski season starts the long ride may get ditched, so bike fitness may be an issue when spring rolls around. Since the bike seems to be a strength I'm not stressing this too much at the moment, but we'll see how things look when I get to March/April.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something I always enjoy is doing blocks of focussed training in one discipline while putting the others on the back burner. This can be particularly useful for working on your swim or running form.

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i took about 2 weeks off after my season ended where i didnt even touch running/biking/swimming.

now over the next month or two, i will start to build back up slowly. running and riding about 2 days a week each, and swimming when i can. if i miss something, oh well. nothing too hard, 20-30 mile rides, 30-40 min runs. now and then will add a little faster stuff just to remember what it feels like. around new years i'll start upping the distance and quantities and building for next year.

planning on getting more running/swimming in over the winter and just maintaining a little more on the bike

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep shooting myself in the foot on the swim, so I'm planning to join a Master's class for MWF swims. I had been swimming T,Th.

Join the November Swim Challenge! We'll start in a couple weeks (Nov 1, to be exact ;-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What off season? I did 21 hours 2 weeks ago.

My 2 cents is to do 5 days a week of masters swimming. You would be amazed how it will help your overall race!!!!!
2 or 3 days a week will give no improvements, from what my coaches have told me.

I have now done 12 months of 5 days a week masters. This was the first year I never once had a panic attack in the water.
I was never tired out of the water. Too many find all the reasons why doing some swim focus can not help you.
Just wish everyone felt this way. Smile I love being a FOP swimmer. It totally changes ones race tactics.
Now, they have to catch me, rather than me trying to catch them.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
THINK SNOW. STEEP & DEEP!

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: "Off Season" Schedule [JerseyQuaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whats snow? Smile

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take it easy in November and December. I mean like half or less of your "peak" hours (So if you want to do some 20 hour weeks in June, just do 5 to 10 in November) ... I know almost no one who does a lot of volume in all three in those months, just a lot of running or maybe a lot of swimming ... And a couple people I know who tried to swim a lot or do a lot of indoor cycling in Nov. to Jan (4 days a week) Well, they were pretty mentally burnt come spring.

Now is the perfect time to cross train / circuit train / do strength training, and run a lot ... Think about a buildup that starts soon and sort of peaks in April, then take a couple easy weeks, then really build up all May and June ... Of course if you honestly think you can swim and cycle 3-4 days a week for the next 9 months, great. But can you? Most of us can't (mentally). You can also focus your training: 2 months tons of running; 2 months lots of swimming, etc. That works too.
Last edited by: TBinMT: Oct 16, 07 17:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My schedule isnt going to change a whole lot, because i have a HIM in march. I might cut out a bike and replace it with a long run but I'll still swim every day, run every day and bike 2-3 times a week. focus will be on qualifying for boston(and new york) at my mary in late nov. Following the mary, i'll up my bike and swim volume to match my high run volume and hopefully be in amazing HIM and IM shape ready to destroy come springtime :)
Quote Reply