Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"Ironman" brand diluted
Quote | Reply
I remember when "Ironman" meant 2.4/112/26.2. Now it's used to describe half-irons by virtue of the branding strategy. "Ironman 70.3" is not an Ironman? It's a half-iron put on by the "Ironman" corporation. Does this bother anyone else?
Last edited by: trigolt: Aug 19, 10 9:49
Quote Reply
Re: "Ironman" brand diluted [trigolt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no.

It's just a name.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strictly speaking, an "Ironman" race is any race that is marketed under the Ironman brand. So, 70.3 races are Ironman races.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I tell people IM 70.3 - they think it's really, really long because they don't know the sport. They just hear "Ironman"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, it doesn't bother me...what does bother me is when IM loans its name to a 3rd party company who puts on a race (NOLA70.3) labeled as if it was put on by WTC.
Quote Reply
Re: "Ironman" brand diluted [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From my experiences, when people hear "triathlon" they think, "oh you did an ironman?"

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Last edited by: bad929: Aug 19, 10 10:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree "Ironman" is associated with being 140.6 miles, and most people think of Hawaii when they hear Ironman.
Ironman is a brand and I guess they could have an Ironman Tri-A-Tri and still give a finishing shirt. I believe it takes away from the full distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, bothers me as well. To many of us IronMan represents a distance much more than a brand, and when someone does a 70.3 "iroman" it feels like they are saying they ran a 13.1 mile "marathon."

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: "Ironman" brand diluted [oxidefilm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
No, it doesn't bother me...what does bother me is when IM loans its name to a 3rd party company who puts on a race (NOLA70.3) labeled as if it was put on by WTC.

Why would this bother you? This happens in industry all the time.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Re: "Ironman" brand diluted [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yup, bothers me as well. To many of us IronMan represents a distance much more than a brand, and when someone does a 70.3 "iroman" it feels like they are saying they ran a 13.1 mile "marathon."

Ditto
Quote Reply
Re: "Ironman" brand diluted [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Then you're going to LOVE this:

http://www.131marathon.com/Home.htm

---

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I remember when "Ironman" meant 2.4/112/26.2. Now it's used to describe half-irons by virtue of the branding strategy. "Ironman 70.3" is not an Ironman? It's a half-iron put on by the "Ironman" corporation. Does this bother anyone else?
This goes back many many years ago to an agreement between the WTC and the triathlon governing body (as I remember) such that Ironman had complete control over every "Ironman" triathlon event. A race by any other name is under the auspices of someone else. Hence, when WTC wanted to "expand the franchise" the need for "Ironman 70.3" if WTC wants complete control. It is a business/power thing. WTC is a business.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: "Ironman" brand diluted [Doru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What! How else are you going to sell these fine Ironman products if you arent an Ironman!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, the Ironman name and brand have sold out a long time ago!

-------
HED. Cycling - Twitter @hedcycling - HED Wheel Selector iPhone App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

To some - Ironman means a timex watch.
Quote Reply
Re: "Ironman" brand diluted [Vince@HED] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweet!! I need all of that bed stuff. All of it. Chicks will surely dig that...

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball
Quote Reply
Re: "Ironman" brand diluted [Hydro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since we're all clearly just involved in this stuff in order to make sure other people understand just how amazingly cool we are for having done something, it definitely bothers me when other people fail to recognize the awesomeness that is the full Ironman distance (as opposed to the mediocrity that is the half ironman/70.3 distance or the absolute pathetic nature of all shorter races/events). It's not like we're doing this stuff because it's healthy or fun - we're clearly doing it for bragging rights - and having laymen lop those who have done shorter events in with those that have done the full is simply unacceptable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me, it would only dilute the 140.6 accomplishment if you were doing it to impress someone else.

Edit; mrodaddy was much more poetic than me (I hope I didn't dilute your brand with a similar but lamer post :) )
Last edited by: J_R: Aug 19, 10 11:02
Quote Reply
Re: "Ironman" brand diluted [Hydro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Chicks will surely dig that...

Wrong!!

Here is what you need to understand about chicks:

While chicks do care about how you smell, they care more about how you articulate how you smell. Therefore, if a chick asks you:

"Baby, why do you smell so good?"

You say: "the perfume is a winning fusion of energetic citrusy aromas united with exotic spices and woody accords. The composition opens with ginger and lime adding violet, nutmeg, rain mist accords, vetiver, patchouli, cedar and moss."

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: "Ironman" brand diluted [mrodaddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You, sir, nailed it!
Quote Reply
Re: "Ironman" brand diluted [Mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just out of curiosity, is there a reason they don't call them WTC 70.3....and WTC Ironman 140.6....

Oh and BTW, when I tell people I'm doing a 70.3, I make sure they understand it's a HALF Ironman, as to not diminish the accomplishments of others. ;)

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team