Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"I'm here to win" - Some questions
Quote | Reply
1. He describes the "Navy Seal" type triathlete - where have they all gone? Why is the sport all about nicest bike and coolest tri kits now?

2. Macca says his specialty was the bike...yet he grew up a runner (mentions races with his dad, raced XC in high school, went to university on a running scholarship). In fact, he came back from last one out of the water in his first tri to win with a 31:xx run split (10k). What gives? He seems like a runner to me...

So far, loving the book. Very emotional at times, very tough guy. He's the first pro I started following when I learned about the sport (last year) and I'm glad to be able to learn about his background. I now have hope for reaching a higher level, while at the same time realizing I lack almost all of the components in his life which crafted him into a champion (I'm not saying that he's a champion because of the cards he was dealt...no flame here - just saying I wish I had his outlook and aggressive yet true poise as a professional athlete. Alas, maybe it will come with time).

Cheers.

Eli Curt

I'm Professionally Amateur. Are you? Become an ambassador today!
Chimps in Training!
Quote Reply
Re: "I'm here to win" - Some questions [Livetotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>1. He describes the "Navy Seal" type triathlete - where have they all gone?

Nowhere. They just don't self-promote.

>Why is the sport all about nicest bike and coolest tri kits now?

It is for some people, but why should that impede your enjoyment of the sport. There is still plenty of competition for those who believe it's about competition, and still plenty of "grassroots" events for those who don't like the branded races.

>What gives?

Could be that he considers the bike the thing he needs to focus his attention on to win races. E.g. he knows he can run. But he needs to really pay attention on the bike to put himself in a winning position against other strong runners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Livetotri wrote:
1. He describes the "Navy Seal" type triathlete - where have they all gone? Why is the sport all about nicest bike and coolest tri kits now?

Cheers.
--------------

There are plenty of "Navy Seal " or "Rocky" style triathletes out there,you just don't hear about them because more than likely they are in the sport for different reasons and experiences which means they won't hang out in geek forums or tri-squads.They will be out doing their own thing or hanging with like-minded hard core types.They are very common in the Ultra-tri community.

I haven't read Macca's book yet but in general I think many poeple in Nth America don't get Macca because they don't understand the Australian male culture nor the Australian way of communicating.He may seem brash and cocky to many here but that isn't unusual down under..

--------------
Quote Reply
Re: "I'm here to win" - Some questions [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol what is the Australian male culture and how is it substantially different from other white western male cultures
Quote Reply
Re: "I'm here to win" - Some questions [spadddd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spadddd wrote:
Lol what is the Australian male culture and how is it substantially different from other white western male cultures
------------

All western cultures have their differences so it is no surprise that the Australian culture would have unique qualities.There are a multitude of differences but you really would have had to spend time here or time aound a group of Aussies to be able to truly understand.The "blokey" male culture here means that we tend to say what we think instead of taking the politically correct path which is more common in Nth America.We "call a spade a spade" as they say and that is what Macca does but that blunt attitude rubs a lot of people the wrong way.It is that blunt and outspoken attitude,backed up with results,that we can't get enough of and makes guys like Macca popular in the mainstream media here.With that though comes the "Tall Poppy Symdrome",where once you have made the big time the knives come out to cut you down.That is a big part of our culture and you need a thick skin to deal with it .Folks who talk a good story but don't follow it up will get shot down very quickly and very publicly.

Age groupers in triathlon are no different and I'll tell you a story I have told here before which illustrates the just what some Aussie blokes will come up with and while thinking nothing of it.

In the late '90s,after one Ironman Australia,I was at an after party for one of the big Sydney tri clubs and a mate of mine who had finished in 9:15 asked me how my race went..He knew I hadn't done the training I should have and was overweight and when I told him I went 10:23 he just said "I don't know why you even bother turning up if you are going to do times like that!".Then he told me that the slow fuckers by the beer and sent me to the bar!

----------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is a classic Macca interview post Kona 2010 where he just says what he thinks about the pre-Kona predictions in the US triathlon media..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABjAkzQ85ZM&feature=related

I like how he is not afraid to stick up for himself and tell it like it is.

-------------------
Last edited by: Ultra-tri-guy: May 29, 11 3:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:

Then he told me that the slow fuckers by the beer and sent me to the bar!

Classic - I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: "I'm here to win" - Some questions [spadddd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
..they don't seem to have this continued attempted subjugation of the Alpha Male?

cheers
S.

// qui audet adipiscitur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
In the late '90s,after one Ironman Australia,I was at an after party for one of the big Sydney tri clubs and a mate of mine who had finished in 9:15 asked me how my race went..He knew I hadn't done the training I should have and was overweight and when I told him I went 10:23 he just said "I don't know why you even bother turning up if you are going to do times like that!".Then he told me that the slow fuckers by the beer and sent me to the bar!

That is awesome, made me laugh!!

Did he hurt your feelings? ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
spadddd wrote:

------------

All western cultures have their differences so it is no surprise that the Australian culture would have unique qualities.There are a multitude of differences but you really would have had to spend time here or time aound a group of Aussies to be able to truly understand.The "blokey" male culture here means that we tend to say what we think instead of taking the politically correct path which is more common in Nth America.We "call a spade a spade" as they say and that is what Macca does but that blunt attitude rubs a lot of people the wrong way.It is that blunt and outspoken attitude,backed up with results,that we can't get enough of and makes guys like Macca popular in the mainstream media here.With that though comes the "Tall Poppy Symdrome",where once you have made the big time the knives come out to cut you down.That is a big part of our culture and you need a thick skin to deal with it .Folks who talk a good story but don't follow it up will get shot down very quickly and very publicly.

Age groupers in triathlon are no different and I'll tell you a story I have told here before which illustrates the just what some Aussie blokes will come up with and while thinking nothing of it.

You got it mostly right. A lot of my friends don't call a spade, a spade. It's a fucken shovel.

Looks like I'll be buying the beer next weekend in Cairns then. I'm going into this race like Mick the Master Farter. I've been training on beer, sausage rolls & pies. Just got back from the Reds v Crusaders Super 15 rugby game. A mate got me into his corporate box & I've got a gut full of Bundy & Coke. (That's the beverage, not Columbian marching powder)

"If you want to run with the big dogs, you're going to have to learn to piss on the big trees."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just compete for the shiny medal, I don't want to beat anyone it would hurt their feelings. Macca is such a meanie ;0).."...............
I am hear to crush as many as I can. It 's not Many but the list is getting longer and the next one on that list is YOU!!!!!! Lol

Like others said navy seal types don't talk about themselves and are a but introverted by nature or you could be talking to them (not me.) right now and not know it till it is to late.
Macca's competition knows he can run so tell them he is most competent on the bike and make them think they are really in for a world of hurt.

Re: "I'm here to win" - Some questions [saunaking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
saunaking wrote:
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:

That is awesome, made me laugh!!

Did he hurt your feelings? ;-)
---------------

Nah,he used to come up with some classic triathlon insults.He was so unimpessed by the standard of the female pros he used to call the womens pro division "the novelty race."

One of the pro women got him back though as,during the run in IMC 1995 she convinced him to help pace her to the finish with the promise of a percentage of her winnings.He figures he has a chance of earning some decent coin and slows his race down and "paces" her back to town motivating her all the way to second place.At the awards she gets on stage as Canadian Ironman Distance Champ and thanks him so much for all his help and motivation and then gets back to our table and gives him fifty bucks.Man it was too funny!!

--------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Livetotri wrote:

If that was meant to be one combined question - Don't you think the Navy Seals WANT the best guns? Different "weapon" for a different result. (I use the team weapon very liberally - obviously there is absolutely no comparison between a Seal and his job and triathletes."

And the bikes just get more press - triathletes also want the best wetsuit, aero helmet and lightest shoes, etc.................Which is not a bad thing.
Quote Reply
Re: "I'm here to win" - Some questions [bmcmaster11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right, a navy seal wants the best most reliable weapon for a mission just like we want the fastest tried and true bike ( equipment ) for our races. Maybe there is a slight comparision there ;0)

Re: "I'm here to win" - Some questions [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You better stop sleeping so much if you plan on adding me to that list.

Just got back from a 40mi ride/4mi run brick.

I'm getting pretty hard. Just sayin... ;)

Eli Curt

Chimps in Training!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's right you work hard while I recover ;0)

Re: "I'm here to win" - Some questions [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saturday is my day of rest.

Let's see how much good your recovery does you come July 24th.

Recover on, amigo ;)

Eli Curt

Chimps in Training!
Quote Reply