Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"I'll take the old guy"
Quote | Reply
For the next few weeks I am not doing any structured workouts. Just trying to stay active and do some different things. A couple of days this week I have gone and played pick-up basketball up at the Y. This afternoon I am up there playing and right before the game begins and everyone is matching up for defense before the first possesion. This tall kid (probably 16 or 17) says "I'll take the old guy" and then he walks over to me! It didn't take a rocket scientist to see that I was older than everyone (I'm guessing that the 2nd oldest was 23 or 24) but this is the first time in my life I have been referred to as "the old guy". BTW I'm 33.
Quote Reply
Re: "I'll take the old guy" [konaby2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
this is the first time in my life I have been referred to as "the old guy". BTW I'm 33

Oy. Guys born in the 70's are "the old guy"?

Sheesh, my tablesaw is your age. ;->

---
"You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious."

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -- Richard Feynman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was born in the mid 50's, so what am I, Ancient guy??? THe guys born in the 40's must be fossel guys, the 30's could be mummy guys. Any more good ones out there????
Quote Reply
Re: "I'll take the old guy" [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate you young guy's ! 1952

Dirt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is the whole point why I posted that. I think that you are young. Being a triathlete has helped me realize that age is just a number anyway. I just think it was funny that someone's perception could be so far off that I would be called "old guy"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is quite funny. Try working at a university for a reality check.

Ah yes...The Cult of Youth.

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get used to it. It's only going to get worse.

The one I hate is "Sir". Up until a few years ago (I'm 41) in the gym where I work out, most kids of college age or thereabouts would refer to me as Dude. As in "Dude - you done with that bench", etc. Not it's usually more like "Excuse me Sir - are you done there".

Depressing as hell - Dude.
Quote Reply
Re: "I'll take the old guy" [tim-mech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have worked at a University if being a GA counts?!?! I was 29-30 at the time, married with a house. Well different than most of the 18 to 22 year olds through out the campus, but no one ever called me "old guy" there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"This tall kid..."

Apparently you thought he was young. I bet he think he's quite the Man. It's all a matter of perspective.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pufh

i've been 27 for a couple decades

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: "I'll take the old guy" [skid777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya know maybe I'm strange, but I kinda take the age thing as a complement. Maybe because I have alot of respect for older people.

With age comes wisdom, give me wisdom over youth any day of the week. Well unless age means rolling around in my scooter, eating my meals thru a straw and getting rid of them thru a hole in my abdomin.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've coached high school soccer for the past 6 years and I'm 35. The kids were always surprised to find out my real age as they always thought I was mid 20's. Didn't matter because they still consider that old. They start grinning thinking they can run circles around me; these grins are quickly replaced with tongues hanging out of their mouths and sucking air like there is no tomorrow. Of course I made them run plenty for their comments, you know sprints, timed miles, etc.. and when I ran with them and didn't break a sweat, they quickly had a new found respect for my guidance. That is when I tell them I do Ironman triathlons!
Quote Reply
Re: "I'll take the old guy" [Ironwoof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found that playing against these "kids", that at the beginning everyone was much quicker than me (I have never been considered fast, and my legs are still a little sluggishe from IMF) and they would get to loose balls before me. But as the afternoon progressed these kids just wore down. They had zero stamina and I was now out-hustling them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hell......high school students are "old guys" to a middle school student : )

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just remember the old saying when you compete with a bunch of snot-noses:

"Youth and skill are no match for experience and treachery"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old Guys Rule...

On the run in Kona a local called out to Joe "Go grampa GO". He thought that was pretty funny. Now that's my cheer whenever I see him during a race.

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reminds of that pick-up game I played a few months ago. The other 4 guys knew each other very well but did not know me. At the beginning I was barely getting the ball. Pretty soon, I was counter attacking each time we were getting a defensive rebound, running to the other end faster than anybody else for an easy lay-up, then coming back to play defense. By the end of the game I was the highest scorer of my team and they had nicknamed me "Marathon man"...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HA, that's what you get for playing with kids! My favorite is when the HS kids have 70's day "hey coach, did you have 70's day when you were in HS?" I tell them, yup, almost every day.

"Maybe you should just run faster..." TM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dang, he would probably say "I'll take Gramps" to me.

Quote | Reply
<< so what am I, Ancient guy???

caveman guy.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: "I'll take the old guy" [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
actually caveman is the time honoured name for those of us who proudly buck the trend and don't shave!

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today is my 35th birthday...wow, having just typed that it looks awfullly old....Heck, when I was 17 I didn't think I'd make 21 so now I feel like I'm playing with the house's money.

Ask a child what age is "old" You'll get a lot of interesting answers.

Bring on the Master's races!!

B.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.teamorganicnyc.com
Sponsored by: TBA
Quote Reply
Re: "I'll take the old guy" [Xenu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My old cast iron Delta (still the best table saw I've ever used) was built in 1941 and is ten years older then I am.

Jay
Quote Reply
Re: "I'll take the old guy" [Jay Rideout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
My old cast iron Delta (still the best table saw I've ever used) was built in 1941 and is ten years older then I am.

You suck.

Nice tool gloat. ;-)

Mines a '73 (Rockwell badge--old scroll 'r', pre "peace sign"). Better saw than they make today, but a '41? Geez, you suck.

---
"You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious."

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -- Richard Feynman
Quote Reply
Re: "I'll take the old guy" [Xenu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Picked it up at a garage sale... had to have so "new" parts made at the technical college. What was really cool was Delta still had the parts drawings on file even though they didn't have the parts.

Guys & tools... just can't help myself :)

Jay
Quote Reply

Prev Next