Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Head up" Drill
Quote | Reply
The coach on deck called for that this week. It sounded really easy. And it was... For about 5 strokes. Besides the excellent hydration I received, what's the intended benefit, and is it worth doing regularly?

You sure aren't going to find it in any TI program! Which means I like it...

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: "Head up" Drill [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
probably teaches you to keep your hips up

so - I swam at the outdoor, scm pool today. No pace clock. Guess who counted her rest intervals...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My coach has me do that drill also. Builds shoulder strength and allows you to see how/where your hand/arm are entering the water. Key is to keep your head from bobbing side to side and concentrate on good shoulder roll. It gets easier! ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"You sure aren't going to find it in any TI program! Which means I like it..." hmmm, trolling for TI defenders??? well I doubt Richard Quick or Dave Marsh use this drill either.

I learned to swim taking a rec sports class in grad school (took the class over and over and over, better than a swim club, I miss grad school) and some instructors would have us do this drill, no real point that I can tell other than your hips immediately drop when the head comes up so it's tough to stay high in the water, I suppose it's useful for water polo.

Jim_n_La
...what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, but only until it kills you - Cousin Elwood
Quote Reply
Re: "Head up" Drill [Jim_n_La] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my swim coach calls it the water polo drill. She has me work on keeping my head centered and watching hand entry. But must be good for water polo if the drill has the name!

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Re: "Head up" Drill [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
probably teaches you to keep your hips up

so - I swam at the outdoor, scm pool today. No pace clock. Guess who counted her rest intervals...
Ha! See, it ain't so bad is it? And if the clock only pisses you off, you can see how easy it is to do without the damn thing! I swam about 3500 today and never looked even once.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tomorrow I will bring a watch. I need intervals. Though now I've got to figure out meter intervals, I am so used to yards.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took a swim clinic from Karlyn Pipes-Nielson and she had us do this drill. As someone already said, it helps you see hand entry and to experiment with what happens when your hands enter too wide or too narrow. You also can see if your arms are crossing over (and she has you do that intentionally to see what happens to your hips).

Another related drill we did she called the Doggie Dig: dog paddle under the water, head up, and you dig (paddle) your hands in front of you with high elbows, pulling with forearm and wrists, with relaxed hands. Both drills she would have us do only for half a pool length then put head down and complete the drill for rest of the pool length. Both drills are in her DVD.

EDITORIAL & OT: I like her video BTW as it compliments TI and helped me go beyond TI stuff. I was a pretty good swimmer to begin with tho.

I do the Doggie Dig drill on occasion still, but do not do the other one anymore now that I know the best place for my hand entry.
Last edited by: PBJ: Aug 16, 08 16:37
Quote Reply
Re: "Head up" Drill [PBJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard of her before. Sounds like she's a solid instructor?

Quote Reply
Re: "Head up" Drill [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Tomorrow I will bring a watch. I need intervals. Though now I've got to figure out meter intervals, I am so used to yards.
What, you don't know your speed and "need" the clock? ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
water polo drill... intended effect is to have you develop a big catch

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've heard of her before. Sounds like she's a solid instructor?
http://www.aquaticedge.org
Quote Reply