Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Ford" Ironman?
Quote | Reply
Perhaps this is nitpicking, but when did Ford first get naming rights to domestic Ironman races, 2003? Did it give them retroactive rights to call every Ironman before 2003 a "Ford" Ironman? The following was snipped off Ironman Live...

Schumacher has put together top performances at Ironman events since 1997. Her first win was at the 1998 Ironman Germany race, followed by a second title at the 2001 Ford Ironman Florida event.

Zieger’s impressive resume includes a fourth place finish at the 2000 Olympic Games, which she followed up just a few months later with a fifth place finish at the Ford Ironman World Championship.

I guess we now have to say that Mark Allen outdueled Dave Scott in the 1989 Ford Ironman championship?
Quote Reply
Re: "Ford" Ironman? [klaatu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting point and question.

In 1986 I did the Bud Light Ironman World Triathlon Championships. It says that on the T-Shirt, the medal, all the stuff.

I would presume those rights- to have the name of the event remain the name of the event- don't expire.

Any of the new events in North America are correctly referred to as the "...Ford Ironman...(name of venue)" or whatever.

It is very important to include the sponsors' name in the title of the event since that maintains the value of their investment in branding the event. As long as that has value, big sponsors will stay in the sport. As long as big sponsors stay in the sport, we'll have great races to go to!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely. This is something I noticed them doing with pro golf tourneys a while back. They get a new sponsor for the event or the whole tour and all of a sudden every previous year has that sponsor's name associated with it. I'm sure this happens elsewhere too. While I don't now the details, I expect that a retroactive clause gets written into the sponsorship contract explicitly.

So yes, these days I expect a press release referring to Mark and Dave's Iron War would say it happened at the 1989 Ford Ironman World Championships. But no worries - when the next sponsor comes along it will change again... (although I think Ford will be there a while)

Are YOU in the Zone?
http://www.discomfortzone.com
Quote Reply
Re: "Ford" Ironman? [mcoughlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no problem with sponsorship at all however this retroactive naming seems like revisionist history. Here is another one I found in same PR.
Gollnick is one of the top American female Ironman athletes with a total of three Ironman titles to her credit. Her wins have all come at races in North America, the first at the inaugural Ford Ironman Wisconsin in 2002.

Ford had nothing to do with 2002 Ironman Wisconsin, as far as I know and shouldn't be able to waltz in years later and stick their name on the event, IMO.

Re: "Ford" Ironman? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to Ford, you actually competed in the 1986 Ford Ironman Championships. As a result, I believe Ford owes you a new T Shirt and medal with the correct sponsor placement. By wearing your Bud Light T Shirt you are devalueing the investment Ford has put into their Ironman investment!

Quote | Reply
I'm here at IMCDA, gettting ready for the big day tomorrow. There are tons of Ford vehicles around, the Ford name is everywhere, even unveiled a new Ford Ironman Explorer at the dinner last night...thing is...for almost $500 bucks, upon registering, you got a plastic bag filled with 20 pieces of advertisements...noting else...oh..on the way out you got a race belt from Philly Inusurance WTF??? You think you might have gotten one nice thing from Ford...maybe they're waiting to give us the good stuff at the finish line..LOL.

=======================================================

http://www.ironm4n.blogspot.com

-----------------
http://www.konashelley.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: "Ford" Ironman? [mcoughlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(although I think Ford will be there a while)

I doubt it. IMO, they will walk at the first chance...or at least they should. It was a terrible marketing move for Ford while looking at bankruptcy in 2-3 years. Selling gas guzzler Exploders to six-figure trigeeks is not going to turn them around...neither is that terrible Mustang. It's a fringe sport and Bud Light would be a better target sponsor. It's all about increasing sales/revenue. According to the folks at AB, WTC dropped them. Expect Mich Ultra to take the podium for many triathlon events coming up.....

The retroactive clause is a valid question. Bud Light and Isuzu are still names I associate with Ironman. The Ford deal has been too aggressive, IMO.

Now...I'll take my "Degree" (had to put that in there) and offer up some FREE advise to Ford.....

Start an incentive to allow IM FINISHERS to use there medals for a $500 (rounded up entry fee) factory rebate. Take their picture at the dealership and post it right up on the wall. Start a website with Ironman finishers and their vehicles...start a "lifestyle" page and preach the benefits of having a utilty vehicle. Hell...there are MANY things they could do to lure folks in BUYING a Ford, but they just do the fluffy promotion crap.

Quote Reply
Re: "Ford" Ironman? [tri_gear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been looking for you but haven't seen you anywhere. Good luck tomorrow!!

Come to a foreign IM--better schwag all around, at least in New Zealand and Brazil. And Brazil had the best finisher's shirts.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quit complaining and questioning things and be happy a LARGE company is backing our LITTLE sport.

t~
Quote Reply
Re: "Ford" Ironman? [Diesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Start an incentive to allow IM FINISHERS to use there medals for a $500 (rounded up entry fee) factory rebate. Take their picture at the dealership and post it right up on the wall. Start a website with Ironman finishers and their vehicles...start a "lifestyle" page and preach the benefits of having a utilty vehicle. Hell...there are MANY things they could do to lure folks in BUYING a Ford, but they just do the fluffy promotion crap.

[/reply]
Last edited by: rroof: Jun 24, 06 17:49
Quote Reply
Re: "Ford" Ironman? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn quote thing won't work. But Diesel, that is a REALLY great idea! Seriously. Send it over to Ford (I'm sure Tom D. knows where they are) :)

Re: "Ford" Ironman? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
re: Any of the new events in North America are correctly referred to as the "...Ford Ironman...(name of venue)" or whatever.

----------

Does that mean we need to start calling IMC the "Ford Ironman Subaru Ironman Canada"?
Quote Reply