Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Epicman" Abu Dhabi
Quote | Reply
Chris G....now it's official...they have an Epicman distance event with prize money.... 3/200/20k in Abu Dhabi. Very cool. They even said in the article that you can do it and recover quicker for other races.

I particularly like the biker friendly "Epicboy Variant" 1.5/100/10. If this was the ITU distance, even on flat courses, some breakaways just might stick.

Finally, I wonder if they allow fins. Really nice prize money breakdown with the top guy taking $50K. Make the Continental North America events look like a joke. Seems ideal for any pro heading to IM Australia later in the spring!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Nov 4, 09 4:15
Quote Reply
Re: "Epicman" Abu Dhabi [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3/200/20k in Abu Dhabi.

Lance was wrong. This one will be all about the bike.

Were the event organizers hanging out on the ST forum and seeing how obsessed people are with the bike leg here?

Kudos to them for coming up with something new and not being cookie cutter.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The venue is incredible indeed. Part of the bike course will be on a 5 lane highway that is closed off to traffic, plus you get to ride a lap on the brand new F1 race course here in Abu Dhabi. There are a couple bridges to cross and one of them has a pretty good long rise, but other than that it is quite flat. I want to race here.
Quote Reply
Re: "Epicman" Abu Dhabi [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert, are in UAE right now?

Fleck, I thought I own a patent on this distances (OK, 3/180/21)....

Seriously though, it is so nice to see some real prize money. It seems like big prize purses like this have gone the way of the dodo outside of ITU/Hyvee (give them credit for that). The WTC has been milking the presence of pros with limited payback. For exmample, IMC prize purse has not gone up in 20 years. How does Kona prize money compare to NYC marathon (not even a world championship).....not even close. And don't give me "NYC has 40,000 racers, Kona just 2000......Kona is the summation of 60,000 racers worth of entries through a qual series....so pony up"
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Nov 4, 09 7:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"How does Kona prize money compare to NYC marathon (not even a world championship).....not even close. "

Actually Dev, the Hawaii prize purse is bigger than NYC ($580,000 to $500,000), which I agree is pathetic.

-Scott

edit: My bad...I think NYC actually paid out closer to $600,000 (http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/...info/prize_money.htm). (not figuring in any bonuses)
Last edited by: WiScott: Nov 4, 09 13:03
Quote Reply
Re: "Epicman" Abu Dhabi [WiScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the fact that there will be a amateur prize purse is cool too

derekgarcia.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And will Israeli & Jewish athletes get to participate?

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: "Epicman" Abu Dhabi [derek5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely. I think it sounds like a very cool "destination" race...and only $150 entry!

-Scott
Quote Reply
Re: "Epicman" Abu Dhabi [WiScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What time of year is it going to be? I was in Dubai around a month ago and it was pretty hot...30 min runs felt like 2 hours!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Finally, I wonder if they allow fins.

lmao....

Axel, likes to run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah but will it be 38 degrees, sorry 2 degrees at the start? Think the start and finish is across from a brew pub? Pretty cool distance, think we can get KING ML to add it to the smackdown list?
Quote Reply
Re: "Epicman" Abu Dhabi [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will be 38C, not 38F....they are just throwing out the 17-28C to lure Bjorn (the bear) out of his Swedish hibernation....what's the race designed for uberbikers without ST's favourite race to T2 king?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that is perfect weather for you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Think about what Chrissie can do with these distances !
Quote Reply
Re: "Epicman" Abu Dhabi [Fix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Think about what Chrissie can do with these distances !
Chick the whole mens field? Just a thought..............

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$1000 for top age groupers in the long distance race! That might be the straw that gets me on the camel's back, so to speak. :-)

Anyone know just how windy it gets there in March? And any recommendations on where to stay other than a 5 star hotel?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am still in UAE, but will fly back tomorrow morning as it is already late on Thursday here.

Faris said it could be windy and hot (relatively speaking), but just as easy it could be mellower in terms of wind and heat. As for the Bjorn luring theory, that is not true. :-)

We posted a few pics today: http://www.slowtwitch.com/photos/Detailed/90.html

Herbert
Quote Reply
Re: "Epicman" Abu Dhabi [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually there are some races of similar format http://star-events.cc
TriStar Andalucia: draft legal 170km bike, 1km swim, 30km run (70 000 euro prize money)
TriStar Germany & Lisboa: 1km swim, 100km bike, 10km run

--------------------------------------------------------

http://vistica.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the "Saint Herbert Shot" in frame 12.

This race just ain't ST approved unless it get's Bjorn out of Swedish hibernation. Bjorn can train on a CT in a Swedish Sauna with sun lamps!

Seriously, I really like the short course distance one of these years....1.5/100/10. Emirates flies direct from Toronto to Dubai, so how long does it take on ground transport from Dubai to Abu Dhabi?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I have heard it is only a hour drive. The base I might be going to next is right outside Abu Dhabi and it is only an hour drive according to people there. I would be getting there in Aug2010 so would not be able to do the race till 2011. From the research I have done they have a lot of races going on there, well more than I expected.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Word here is that it is closer to 1:20 to 1:30 from Dubai to Abu Dhabi, depending on your speed.

Also, age group prize money is confirmed indeed as $1,000 for each age group winner in the following age groups for the long course.

Up to 19
20-24
25-29
30-34
35-39
40-44
45-49
50-54
55-59
60+
Quote Reply