Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Charity Cases" at ironman
Quote | Reply
I have been watching Ironman since it was on wide world of sports...and the inspirational stories are what I enjoyed the most...never thinking my son Jon would be ever classified as a "Charity Case" Jon was a 20yr triathlete when he was given his death sentence. I am amazed at the shallowness of the comments..what would you rather watch -a pro crying over a flat tire?
Remember, ALS can strike anyone...several triathletes have died from this disease.

Ironman, whether you like it or not is a business...making money is part of that.

If Jon had remained healthy he would have qualified a some point of his life..I am sure of that. He had not raced for 2 yrs prior due to being in a masters program and the after dx....could not train because no one knew if it would sped up the process. Granted he did not have a 10hr race...bit with the use of one arm and a failing body...he had the determination to finish.

I realized I am biased but think about what you are saying...Jon had one chance, you have many....
Quote Reply
Re: "Charity Cases" at ironman [blazemanmom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can I ask what or who prompted this post? Let there be no question, your son sick or not earned his place at every race - and finished well ahead of the pack at most. If any one has a question on if your son did or did not earn a place to be there, they have issues far beyond what our assistance could possibly provide.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amen. I'm with you. Some of the comments are pitiful.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Re: "Charity Cases" at ironman [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was replying to the posts too many ironman slots and charity cases...Jon was mentioned..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found one note by Erik Haas (sp?)...I do think that his comment about your son (if that was the one) is well above board and was a compliment to your son and what he has brought to the sport and our day playing Ironman. The OP in that thread is a jealous person who really needs to get with it. His issues about qualifying are his failure, not ours.

Quote Reply
Re: "Charity Cases" at ironman [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you...I got a little touchy over that original comment...and I never thought of him or many others as charity...Jon was not even considered challenged.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure what this is in reply to but here are my two cents:

Someone, out of kindness, sent me several dvd's recently. One of the movies was the 2005 Ironman Championship which featured the story of your family. I was on my trainer last night and was choking up. I first heard of your son's foundation while researching the "Blazeman roll" that some of the Pro's do upon finishing races. It wasn't until I saw the featured segment that I truly realized the significance of it. The courage, heart and determination that were exhibited by your son are all attributes that I seek while trying to push myself towards my goals, not only in triathlon but in life as well.

Please understand that blind forums allow people to say ridiculous statements anonymously. Your son, and his foundation are remarkable, please don't let a few ignorant/jaded people take anything away from that.

Your family has been and will continue to be in my thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: "Charity Cases" at ironman [injuryinclined] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you...I let it get the best of me in a week moment...please come and say hello to me if you are at a race we will be at in 2010...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I would hope that you don't give up that much emotion on a posting from this site.

This was a post that was obviously created by someone who is self-obsorbed to the point of not being able to realize what's really important. Would any of us not have preferred to see your son or the Hoyts or Rudy Garcia-Tolson and Elizabeth Thompson this year take on a goal that seemed almost impossible? Why do you think you see the pros come back after killing themselves out on the lava fields for 8 or 9+ hours to cheer on the later race finishers? It's not only about the people who are fast! It's also about the people who are taking on something bigger than themselves to show the rest of the world that it's possible to live, hope and dream even in the face of overwhelming adversity and doubt!

This forum is a great thing and I love to check on what's being discussed in the tri world, but I also have my filter on half the time because many tri people get very obsessive(I'm one of 'em too!) and sometimes fail to see what an 8 year old takes as a given.

Thank you to you, your husband and family and really to Jon for what you've all given to us not just as a sport, but as people who appreciate life and those who love the people around them.

Keep you chin up.

Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: "Charity Cases" at ironman [Big Papa Smurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Keep you chin up.

I cant speak for blazemanmom...or her son. I met Jon (briefly) years ago. I also had the pleasure to have breakfast with Dick Hoyt at Black Bear in Lake Placid. I have had the luxury to meet many people since 1999 when I started this Ironman game..."Chin Up" is the only way these people live, chin up and proud. There is no other way to make your days turn to years and years into memories to be proud of. blazemanmom lost her son to ALS, but I think that we can all see that she has not lost her passion for life, nor does she live day to day as a victim. She as many of us are are proud survivors.

Quote Reply