Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "Bonk" Training. Good Idea? [RipVanWinkle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"As for the ability to sustain low intensity exercise despite severe carbohydrate restriction/depletion, I can tell you from first-hand experience that it is quite possible to become markedly hypoglycemic at just 40% of VO2max when following a protocol such as I described."

My only "bonking" experience was a bit different. I found that I simply couldn't go fast. It was during a long ride that ended up being longer and a bit more intense than expected and I simply didn't bring enough "goodies". Seemed no matter how hard I pushed I simply wouldn't go anywhere. The mind was willing the body would have no part in it. I do remember being quite lightheaded though not any real headaches or "hallucinations"

Once I accepted the idea that I was shot and went at a really slow pace I could keep going. Average speed went from a comfortable 17-18 mph to fairly painful 9-11 mph.

Could very well be that I hadn't truly "bonked" either and was simply suffering from some other level of fatigue/dehydration. It was a rather hilly, for me, 65 mile ride. I only went out with two bottles of gatorade roughly 250 cal total and a bottle of water. I had also not eaten breakfast nor anything since about 7 or so the night before. Total ride time was over 4 hours. A good portion taken up by the hellish last 10-15 miles.

"Practically any biochemistry textbook will cover the metabolic pathways of relevance here, whereas any decent undergraduate physiology textbook should discuss these in the context of exercise."

I'll see what I can find, thanks for the info.

~Matt
Quote Reply

Prev Next