Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"13 Weeks" IM Training Plan
Quote | Reply
I have been following this plan as I train for IMCDA, which is my fist IM distance tri. The week before the race the plan has me doing a 2 hr ride followed by a 2 hr run. 2 weeks before the race I am supposed to do a 4:30 bike follwed by a 1 1/2 hr run. I recover well and have done more biking than the plan calls for, but it still seems like a lot during my taper.

What say the experts?
Quote Reply
Re: "13 Weeks" IM Training Plan [lefty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like too much to do a 2x2 brick 7 days before the race. 14 days (which could also be "the week before" depending on the schedule), "maybe" if you have lots of base (more than 13 weeks). I have lots of experience and base and maybe I'd do a 2 hr run 10-14 days before, but definitely not sooner. I would guess the 13 week program is trying to get you used to running long when tired. That is important, but not at the expense of being un-recovered completely for your first IM. You definitely want to experience a "death march" sometime in your training, so you will be mentally prepared to soldier through. Just give your self enough time to be fully recovered, to the point of being scared you haven't done enough your last two weeks and that you have lost fitness (you haven't).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't you think it's a lot to ask of a 13 week plan to have a taper?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Smitty8 [ In reply to ]
Re: "13 Weeks" IM Training Plan [kac94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't you think it's a lot to ask of a 13 week plan to have a taper?

I'm not a big fan of these 13 week to an IM, or three weeks to a marathon type plans, but I'd venture that a taper is even more important for this kind of crash training than it would be normally, and that if you're going to follow this kind of plan, you might as well make sure you're good and rested. You're not going to be trying to set any records, so you might as well make sure you're well rested, right?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Last edited by: vitus979: Jun 1, 05 14:47
Quote Reply
Re: "13 Weeks" IM Training Plan [kac94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uhhhhh...yes? I mean No! Whatever you think is probably best.
Quote Reply
Re: "13 Weeks" IM Training Plan [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It has been good for me in helping put structure into my last 13 weeks of training. I modified it quite a bit in order to focus more on biking which has been a weakness for me. I suppose if one ONLY trained for 13 weeks I would be a bit concerned.
Quote Reply
Re: "13 Weeks" IM Training Plan [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got this plan years ago from one of the Triathlon mags (not sure which one). Knowing I would some day attempt an IM distance, I filed it away.

Want a copy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have followed the 13weeks to a sub 13hr program with good success. i went under 13 and my female trng partner went under 12. that said, i wouldn't hesitate to knock down that last run to 1:15 or 1:30.
Quote Reply