Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: what are you reading? [csb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How do you like Special Topics? I started it last year, got about 150 pages in. At first, I thought it was fabulous, then I thought it was clever, then I thought it was too clever, and then I thought it was annoying. I need to try it again, though. (I'm a sucker for books I can't finish. I still haven't finished A Book of Memories, which I bought in 1997 because The New Republic said that your life will change when you read the book. It's good, but it's kind of like Thomas Hardy's books, where you look back over 50 pages and you can't believe how much has happened! As someone who is regularly juggling 3-5 books at a time, this can be a problem!)

I love it. I think the cleverness is Blue's way of dealing with things because she's super smart and has a ton of knowledge but very little experience in the world so she hides that by quoting movies, books, stats, etc. At least that's my two cents worth.

I got better at giving up on books (DNF'ing?) after reading a quote from Nancy Pearl, it was something along the lines of there being so many great books in the world that you shouldn't waste your time reading a bad one or even one you don't like - if she isn't hooked after fifty pages she quits and reads something else. As she inspired the Library Action Figure I feel okay taking on this idea. It helped that I was trying to read Ulysses when I came across this quote and I was thrilled to be "allowed" to quit.
Quote Reply
Re: what are you reading? [Alibabwa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
re: cleverness ... That's a good way of looking at it. I guess coming from reading Douglas Coupland's books (Microserfs is another one of my favorite books), where he weaves in cultural references almost seamlessly, Blue's references get annoying after a while. Clunky might be a better word. Though if you remember that a college freshman is "writing" the story, it may be tolerable. I'll have to try it again with that mindset.

Edit to restate/clarify the above ...

I guess the difference between Coupland's books and Special Topics is that the cultural references in Coupland's books ARE the story -- there's no "weaving" about it. Pop culture is so intertwined in the characters' lives that it not having it in the story would leave a huge void. References to Melrose Place v. 90210 make his books what they are. Special Topics isn't like that. The story doesn't depend on the cultural references, and Pessl/Blue seems to be kitchen-sinking all the refs she can think of. But like you said, that may be a mask for Blue's relative inexperience. Certainly adds a dimension to the book that I keep forgetting about!

And with that, my solo conversation re: Coupland v. Pessl stops!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I know what you mean about DNF'ing books. I do it, but only when the books are throw-across-the-room bad, or if they're boring. But there are books that I can't finish because there's too much detail, and I have too much going on to give them the attention they deserve. Then there are books that have been glorious reads, and I dread getting to the end. I read Memoir of a Geisha all the way through only once. Haven't made that mistake again. I stop before the last chapter now! Harlot's Ghost, which I mentioned to Tigerchik at some point, is another one of those books. I'm within 20 pages of finishing it, but I can't see how it can possibly end satisfactorily -- there's still too much going on -- so either it will be resolved too patly, or it won't be resolved at all. I'm pretty sure I won't be pleased with either, so I just won't finish the book!
Last edited by: csb: Mar 4, 08 11:01
Quote Reply
Re: what are you reading? [timberdick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While it came out back in 1993, I finally just read The Alchemist. It is an amazingly simple story about a shephard boy who goes on a journey to Eqypt to find treasure and with the help of three pepole along the way finds what he was looking for in a very unexpected place (don't want to spoil the end).
It touches on themes about life in general, such as why we are here, what is our purpose, fate etc.
Quote Reply
Re: what are you reading? [fitzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right now my read is The Sweet Spot in Time: The Search for Athletic Perfection, by John Jerome ~~ "a lively inquiry into what makes athletes capable of moments of pure physical brilliance." Biophysical dynamics, biodynamic physics, biophysiodynamism, something like that. Pretty intense, often sloggish, but throughout are moments of pure beauty in the writing.

Just finished Heft on Wheels: A Field Guide to Doing a 180, by Mike Magnuson ~~ guy lost a ton of weight, now a competitive cyclist, teaches journalism, an OK introspective read, but it's all-macho-kinda-grunting-stuff. Oy.

Always at hand: The Triathlete's Guide to Mental Training, Jim Taylor, PhD & Terri Schneider ~~ trying to incorporate a new thread into my life every so often. Practical how-to.

Giving up on ever achieving it: Chi Running, by Danny Dreyer ~~ I'm too maladroit (mal-au-pieds?) to keep from tripping over my feet when I try to be a ballerina on the road. Sigh.
Quote Reply
Re: what are you reading? [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Always at hand: The Triathlete's Guide to Mental Training, Jim Taylor, PhD & Terri Schneider ~~ trying to incorporate a new thread into my life every so often. Practical how-to.<<

How is Jim's book? He's in Katy's and my tri club (and met his wife on a bike ride with the club). And Terri is a total inspiration and kick butt gal. Jim spoke at our club meeting last night but I was stuck at work and missed it.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never read the Chronicles of Narnia (CS Lewis) books as a kid - so better late than never. I'm helping my 7 year old through book 2, Prince Caspian (movie is coming out soon, by the way) and we are thoroughly enjoying it! Language may seem a little old fashioned to the youngsters, but sometimes older books help us understand the way English was spoken before the age of television and advertisement :)
Quote Reply
Re: what are you reading? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, the publisher is velopress, which speaks volumes about its merit. i'm not sure of the role taylor and schneider each carried in bringing the book to life. it looks to have been co-authored. they manage to identify a fair number of rather elusive psychological concepts and organize them into a pretty workable, practical paradigm. for example, they create a "prime triathlon pyramid" along maslowesque lines (motivation, confidence, intensity, focus, emotions, pain) and discusse the application of each to one's triathlon goals. it's the kind of book you read with a highlighter. i particularly enjoyed the chapters on ironman preparation and racing, the psychology of injury, and the discussion of the "dark side" of the sport. there are lots of pithy quotes from the notables of the sport ... dave scott, siri lindley, mark allen, heather fuhr ... all in all, a good return-to manual when your head gets outta whack and needs realignment.
Quote Reply
Re: what are you reading? [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll definitely have to pick it up. Especially to see what he has to say about IM racing since I remember that he wasn't so thrilled with his IM experience.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great post. I read religiously for an hour every night before bed....but only fiction, or fluff fiction to lull me to sleep. Save the more topical stuff for when my brain cells are more active.

I've been on a Tudor England kick with Philippa Gregory: The Constant Princess, The Other Boleyn Girl and The Boleyn Inheritance. Today's politics ain't got nothin' on ole Henry the VIIIth's England.

The Other Boleyn Girl was a real page turner, but I fear seeing the recently released movie, don't want to spoil my imagination.

Saw an interview with Philippa Gregory and her research into the history is phenomenal. So while it's "historical fiction" much of the backdrop is accurate, while the details are left to literary license.

More topical stuff I'm awaiting from the library: Toobin's The Nine and Dawkins The God Delusion.

and of course there's all the tri related material I peruse daily!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was beaten by Crime and Punishment and I'm not going to let Dostoevsky to get the better of me again!

OMG, that made me laff out loud because I started Crime and Punishment and was foiled, feeling guilty for giving up but deciding life is too short :)

Let us know if Brother Karamazov is any better .....
Quote Reply
Re: what are you reading? [csb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A Widow for One Year is also my favorite book and John Irving is my favorite author. :)
I am only re-reading right now. All triathlon related. Going Long, The Paleo Diet for Athletes, The Athlete's Way, Training and Racing With Power.

Jessica
Quote Reply
Re: what are you reading? [cindyloohoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Recently my staff read The Other Boleyn Girl and then went to see the movie. Although I've read the book I didn't join them as I try not to see movies of books I've read. They were very disappointed with the movie.

Right now I'm reading The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. Before that it was Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen and 1000 Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (author of the Kite Runner). I enjoyed both books and at present I'm enjoying The Glass Castle too.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"There's good all around you, you just have to be able to see it".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right now it's 'A Walk in the Woods' by Bill Bryson. Lovin it! sitting on the subway it takes me to another happier place, its laugh out loud funny at parts, and intersperses the story of two guys hiking on the trail with interesting history about the Appalachian Trail.

Also read Pam Reed, it was just 'ok'. Agree, she needed a better editor or ghost writer. DKs book also just 'ok', but he is super nice. I met him before a race once and yes he is hot but much smaller in real life!

I loved The Lovely Bones (Sewold) but really did not like her latest The Almost Moon.

I have the Omnivores Dilemma next after done Walk in the Woods. I am reading that one almost too quickly its one to savour.

To the Edge about Badwater also very good.

To the other ultra runners out there or anyone else, I cant remember the name but there is a really great book with various people's ultra experience. I will post name when I get home. Its like 'Becoming an Ironman'...there is a chapter I love...one of the guys in The Cult runs 100s and how he trains while on the road is hysterical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a walk in the woods by bill bryson - HILARIOUS account of two out of shape guys trying to hike the appalachain trail, a must read :)

the glass castle by janette walls - more serious. best book written from the perspective of a child (in a poor family) i've read yet.

ultramarathon man (i am blanking on his name) - great if you need some running inspiration. the dude runs A LOT.

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I enjoy reading and have recently taken to spending the hour after my long run sprawled out on the couch with a book; especially since we've been buried under snow for what seems like forever (I'm in Toronto, Canada). Keeping your legs elevated helps in recovery right? Right now I've got 2 books on the go.

1) Contents Under Pressure: 30 Years of Rush at Home & Away - I'm a HUGE Rush fan so this is pure entertainment for me.

2) I've re-discovered the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S Lewis (The Lion, the Witch and The Wardrobe was the most popular of the books). I've read the first 2 (Out of 7) and I'm on the 3rd (A Horse and His Boy). I remember reading them as a kid and enjoying them immensely and I still find them to be very enjoyable and meaningful. I've picked up on all sorts of things I would never have picked up on as a child.

3) Next on my list is the Kite Runner. I've heard so many good things about this book that I'm really looking forward to reading it.

===============================================

Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever.

http://www.teamrunningfree.com
http://ironmanredux.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Swimming to Antartica. I thought it was excellent!

Recent reads were Eat, Pray, Love (two thumbs up) and Steve Martin's autobiography- Born Standing Up. I enjoyed both of those too.
Quote Reply
Re: what are you reading? [flyer521] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
a walk in the woods by bill bryson - HILARIOUS account of two out of shape guys trying to hike the appalachain trail, a must read :)

I have read almost everything that Bill Bryson has written. He is absolutely HILARIOUS and I highly recommend all his books. He's one of my favourite authors. I really enjoyed A Walk in The Woods but my fave of his has to be Notes from a Small Island. This book chronicles his trip around England. Oh my god, there were points in that book that I laughed so hard I was crying. TOO good!

===============================================

Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever.

http://www.teamrunningfree.com
http://ironmanredux.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just finished Escape by Caroline Jessop. Like a lot of people out there, I have a bizarre infactuation with the FLDS and plural marriage. This was a great story. Before that, I finished Divisidero by Michael Ondaatje. I don't think that I "got" it, although the fact that I got to the end of the story says something. I have trouble finishing fiction unless it's a really great story.

I was going to return The Perfect Mile to the library, but I'll give it a go based on some of the comments on this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lots of good ideas on this thread... i'm making a list for my next trip to the library.

i've just finished middlesex by jeffrey eugenides - it came out awhile back and i just got around to reading it. it's a totally engrossing book.

a few months ago i also just caught wind of his dark materials trilogy by philip pullman - the golden compass movie is based on the first book. while i was disappointed with the movie, i absolutely loved the books. i'm a sucker for good fantasy/science fiction and this series was absolutely incredible.

i think i'd like to do some non-fiction next - michael pollan here i come!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks everyone for writing. got lots of good ideas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Change of Heart - Jodi Picoult - love her books. This one's new.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: what are you reading? [junebug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i've just finished middlesex by jeffrey eugenides - it came out awhile back and i just got around to reading it. it's a totally engrossing book.

I loved Middlesex, I couldnt put it down. I lent it to my Mum and she's getting her book club to read it, I'm wondering what the retirees will think of it!

He also wrote The Virgin Suicides, I haven't read the book but saw the movie, which is great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh man! i hope it's a pretty liberal group of retirees... :)

i guess i hadn't realized he wrote the virgin suicides too - i'll have to check it out, thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: what are you reading? [junebug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, if you like "young adult fantasy", which is sort of where Phillip Pullman's books lie, you might like "A Wizard of Earthsea" by Ursula LeGuin. It's a lot darker and a slower pace but the writing is phenomenal, it's a lovely book if you appreciate well-crafted prose.
Quote Reply
Re: what are you reading? [MITriGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I enjoyed Steve Martin's autobiography and i loved his two other books. I just finished Andrew Carnegie's biography (kind of long and tedious but I have to finish a book one I start it) and after that it was Bowerman and the Men of Oregon which I thought was a great read (I just got back from Europe so lots of time on the plane to read)..
Quote Reply

Prev Next